• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

0000 steel wool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 0000 steel wool

I just used some 0000 steel wool to clean my chrome exhaust tips and it worked great. It left no scratches at all.

Re: 0000 steel wool

Why not use a metal polish instead of steel?
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I was wondering that too.
      Lydia's Mobile Detailing
      Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
      2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Originally posted by Lydia View Post
        Same Here?????

I would use something intended for that, like Mike said, Metal Polish, instead of something abrasive...
        Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Originally posted by Lydia View Post
          I always thought that one of the ideas here. Was to share, teach, explain techniques that reduce the possibility of inflicting scratches on our vehicles. Or on any part of them.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by 23jam View Post
            I always thought that one of the ideas here. Was to share, teach, explain techniques that reduce the possibility of inflicting scratches on our vehicles. Or on any part of them.
            That is one of the goals and a worthy goal indeed.

For decades we've all read about people recommending the very fine grades of steel wool for cleaning glass, now this thread about using it to clean chrome.

Steel wool, as fine as it may be available, is still steel. It may work, it may scratch, it may leave scratching or micro-scratching that can only be seen in the right lighting conditions.

Not sure if we would test it on anything that's important to us when there are other safer options available. If it works great, if it doesn't then you'll have scratched chrome and the only honest repair for scratched chrome is to re-chrome.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I tried 0000 steel wool on my stainless exhaust tip. It was so discolored, nothing would help it. So I thought I'd try the steel wool with my favorite metal polish, Meguiar's All metal polish. Well, It looks real good from a distance but there are a TON of fine scrathes in it. stay a way from it. Keep it on hand for glass if you like it.

Comment

Well the reason i used steel wool is because my exhaust tips were very dirty and i have used steel wool other times on various things and i have always been impressed with its cleaning ability, and that ever since i have used it it has never caused damage. As far as scratching, I dont have any scratches that i can see, i checked at many different angles and light conditions, I bought the finest grade i could find (0000) Maybe different manufactures coat the steel to prevent rust or use lower quality in the making of the product, it works for me and i am very happy with the results, by no means do i want to cause any damage to any bodys stuff, and even if you do put in some micro scratches those can be taken out with metal polish, right?

Comment

Did you use any lube when you used it? Like a quick detailer product. I have a chrome wheel that I bent this past winter I could do a little test on.

As for getting out the scratches once they are there. Unless some one has had better luck then I have. They are there to stay. You might be able to buff it out with some rouge but I have never tried.
                  Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Thejoyofdriving View Post
                    and even if you do put in some micro scratches those can be taken out with metal polish, right?
                    Or use metal polish first and get no scratches...
                    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

I don't dout your good results. I'm happy you had good results. For me, at any angle, you can see the light scratches. Up close. The way I used it was with car soap. Lots of suds and water after I spray and wiped off any loose dirt. I used my metal polish and all it did was give it a decent shine. It didn't remove any or maybe very few scratches that the steel wool caused.

Comment

Originally posted by Thejoyofdriving View Post
                        by no means do i want to cause any damage to any bodys stuff, and even if you do put in some micro scratches those can be taken out with metal polish, right?
                        No, once they are there, they are there. Hence the reason to use less aggressive methods first.

Take a 50/50 mix of iso alcohol and water and wipe down your chrome pipes. Shine a halogen light on the pipes and then tell us what you see....

Tim
                        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

fellows chrome is really no different then paint! I also polish/buff metal. sure the cheap chrome plating junk is like a really soft paint, but you can get fine scratches out of it too.like i said steel-chrome-stainless steel is just like paint it can (AND I DO!!!) get scratches,scrapes out by polishing/buffing it out with a buffer (like a bench grinder) or you can use a bench grinder set up to buff with. if you have some curb rash or scuffs , you can wet sand with anywhere from 600 grit up to 1500 just like paint then buff out with a 8'' or 6'' wheel from lowes or sears. anyways i have learned a lot from you guys , and if any one is interested or want me to explain more post back.
                            ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
                            You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
                            Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Originally posted by stang_krazy View Post
                              and if any one is interested or want me to explain more post back.
                              We're interested, we would love to have someone share with us how to remove scratches out of Chrome and leave a scratch-free surface.

However, it would be better to do this in a new, dedicated thread, not tag onto this on about steel wool.

Looking forward to it, thank you for chiming in!
                              Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');