• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie from the East Coast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie from the East Coast

Howdy,

Im fairly new to the whole detailing thing. Last year at Carlisle all truck nationals in PA I was walking by the Meguiars trailer and saw they were having a sale on DA's. Decided to buy one and have been loving it ever since. Look forward to learning a lot from folks on this forum. Will try to post some pictures of an ML320 that I am gonna clean tommorow if I get time. Its a 2000 that has never seen wax and has 125k on it. The paint feels like sandpaper

Plan is
    Wash with NXT Car Wash
    Smooth Surface Clay Kit

PC DA with
    #2 Fine Cut Cleaner
    #9 Swirl Remover 2.0
    and either NXT or #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax

I already did one fender. It came out "decent". There are still some issues but it looks 10x better than it did. I am going to attempt to find some #80 tomorrow cause I have read good things about it. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
    If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Re: Newbie from the East Coast

#2 is meant for use with rotary.... not PC.... you should really get urself a bottle of 80..... if you cant find any dealers around you... you can always buy it off meguiars.com or amazon...... and while ur at it might as well add 83 to the cart too.... and what pads are you using? you should use the 8006 pad for 80 and 83....

Comment

Originally posted by benhui86 View Post
      #2 is meant for use with rotary.... not PC.... you should really get urself a bottle of 80..... if you cant find any dealers around you... you can always buy it off meguiars.com or amazon...... and while ur at it might as well add 83 to the cart too.... and what pads are you using? you should use the 8006 pad for 80 and 83....
      Im using 8006's. Im using 9006's for NXT. I guess Ill toss the #2 in the back of the shelf.

Comment

Just picked up some more chemicals. Ordered some #80 and #83 with 8006 pads. Also ordered some of the aggressive detailing clay. I am looking forward to trying that out. I assume it wont damage paint too bad if I screw up using it. Ive used the regular Smooth Surface clay kit many times.

Comment

why are you using aggressive clay?

just curious because most of the time the consumer brand kit does perfectly fine.

remember this.

Meguiars Consumer Brand White Clay: 9 passes

Meguiars Pro Clay Blue Clay: 6 passes

Meguiars Pro Clay Red Clay: 3 passes

"What makes those products for professionals only is because they are so aggressive they can potentially put light scratches in your finish. Professionals will use them prior to going in and wet sanding or using a rotary buffer to work on the vehicle. If you only plan on doing light cleaning and polishing then be aware that those may put some light swirl in and are for finnishes that are in bad shape."

just be careful.

why the switch though is what i'm really wondering.

anyways,

wash
          clay
          M80
          NXT

but you can also go

wash
          clay
          m82 or #9
          #26 x 2

Comment

Originally posted by TrufflePig View Post
            why are you using aggressive clay?

just curious because most of the time the consumer brand kit does perfectly fine.

remember this.

Meguiars Consumer Brand White Clay: 9 passes

Meguiars Pro Clay Blue Clay: 6 passes

Meguiars Pro Clay Red Clay: 3 passes

"What makes those products for professionals only is because they are so aggressive they can potentially put light scratches in your finish. Professionals will use them prior to going in and wet sanding or using a rotary buffer to work on the vehicle. If you only plan on doing light cleaning and polishing then be aware that those may put some light swirl in and are for finnishes that are in bad shape."

just be careful.

why the switch though is what i'm really wondering.
            Much appreciate the info. This ML320 has 125k of hard new england miles. See's a ton of salt/sand each winter and it in horrible shape. I figure Ill give the aggressive stuff a shot. If I dont like it, Ill put it back on the shelf. I am very much looking forward to trying the 80 and 83. People seem to really like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jokeman View Post
              Much appreciate the info. This ML320 has 125k of hard new england miles. See's a ton of salt/sand each winter and it in horrible shape. I figure Ill give the aggressive stuff a shot. If I dont like it, Ill put it back on the shelf. I am very much looking forward to trying the 80 and 83. People seem to really like it.
              M80 is some awesome stuff. it cleans and polishes. that's the beauty. and does 75% of the jobs before you think you need a rotary.

one of my favourtie products.

Comment

Just be careful with the aggressive clay...it's pretty, well, aggressive.
                Lydia's Mobile Detailing
                Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
                2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Originally posted by Lydia View Post
                  Just be careful with the aggressive clay...it's pretty, well, aggressive.
                  Thanks for the heads up. Maybe Ill just use it to get the brown stains outta my wheels.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');