• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Archive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Clearcoat Failure Photo Archive

Here's some photos of a 1998 Saturn that my grandmother has been driving, with severe clearcoat failure:

Severe peeling of the clearcoat on a car that has certainly seen better days...We used to take good care of this car, washing & waxing it; now it resides at an apartment complex that is right under the final approach path of Gillespie Field, a small planes airport in San Diego County. That, combined with blistering summer heat and lack of car care by my grandmother (she hoses it off maybe twice a year, despite me telling her to wash it more often than that before the clearcoat failed), has added to the quicker failure of the paint.

Comment

Thanks Mike. My entire drive home I was looking at the paint on other cars for clear coat failure.

I have already found myself evaluating swirls and cobwebs on cars already in parking lots. Thanks for contributing to my APED (Automotive Paint Evaluators Disease)

Comment

I worked at a dealership in the early 90's. I cannot remember the body type it was either the corsica or the cavalier. Any way we repainted thousands of tops and hoods because of a adhesion problem from GM. You could blow the clear off with your air gun.

Comment

Wow, that red really came back! Did you do that one by hand, or using a buffer?

Comment

is there a way to prevent the clear coat failure or is that something ineveitable over time? this happened to my old honda car while in AZ heat of course? I always kept trying to wax it to clear the blemich, but no worky lol.........

Comment

Originally posted by JOCKTHEGLIDE View Post
              is there a way to prevent the clear coat failure or is that something inevitable over time? this happened to my old Honda car while in AZ heat of course? I always kept trying to wax it to clear the blemish, but no worky lol.........

The sun is a formidable enemy to your car's paint, (and just about everything else). Except for what you're already doing, (regular maintenance), and keeping the car out of the sun there's not much else you can do.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by 99 softy View Post
                I worked at a dealership in the early 90's. I cannot remember the body type it was either the corsica or the cavalier. Any way we repainted thousands of tops and hoods because of a adhesion problem from GM. You could blow the clear off with your air gun.
                im pretty sure it was the corsica i had one and the paint just peeled off and all you could see was the nice gray primer. you could even peel it off by hand!

Comment

Hey guys,

Haven't been on in a few weeks due to school overload, but I sure have missed being on MOL.

I do want to comment on the heat issue causing CC failure. You know, that makes complete sense and I think it explains what happened with my hood. Is there anything that can be done to prevent that again? Like any sort of lining on the bottom of the hood that can be applied that will keep it from getting that hot. I have a CF (as some of you have seen the pictures) and there is no sort of "heat guard" on the bottom side. Any thoughts?

Mike, sorry if this is out of place, feel free to move it if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by bluecadillac View Post
                    im pretty sure it was the corsica i had one and the paint just peeled off and all you could see was the nice gray primer. you could even peel it off by hand!
                    If it was the Cavi I would be in big trouble with my '97 right now! Must have been the Corsica.
                    Rob A.
                    '09 Kia Optima (Bronze Metallic)
                    '07 Kia Optima (Gold)

Comment

Originally posted by jpitt1987 View Post

Is there anything that can be done to prevent that again? Like any sort of lining on the bottom of the hood that can be applied that will keep it from getting that hot.

I have a CF (as some of you have seen the pictures) and there is no sort of "heat guard" on the bottom side. Any thoughts?
                      There's a number of products on the market for heat control and sound deadening, couldn't hurt to try one of these. Besides heat thought it's also exposure to direct sunlight.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by OhioCarBuff View Post
                        What is the exact cause of clearcoat failure? I've seen cars that were extremely neglected that did not get CC failure, and some that were mildly neglected that did.

It looks to me like CC failure happens beucase the paint dries out, I assume the polishing oils in meguiars products would prevent this, given they are sealed in with a wax.
                        the paint is like first lot of photo's has not got to white stage

Comment

the car has stood in the sun for a long time as it has been parked all day while at work

Comment

Originally posted by ywurry View Post
                            the paint is like first lot of photo's has not got to white stage
                            Originally posted by ywurry View Post
                            the car has stood in the sun for a long time as it has been parked all day while at work
                            If your paint is looking like any of the pictures in the first page of this thread then there is no way to fix it. You can either have the car or the affected area re-painted or live with it.

Sad but true.

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Hi,I mentioned this before in another thread.I see this happen more to red colored cars,than any other color. Also,I know someone that had a 15year old car in red(non mett.),that was deterioating as above and he looked after his car with regular polishing and waxing.(My car is the same age and has no deterioation). It got to the point that he sold it as it was always needing resprays.

Comment

Hello guys,

Really nice forum. I have some problem with my paint, that I was thinking is caused by oxidation. However; I am pretty sure now that it is clear coat problem now. I will appreciate if you can let me know of your opinion, also if you have some solution OTHER than repainting off course .

Guys, for some reasom I do not even have the option to upload pictures. Please check the link below.

http:// forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=10395113#post10395113

Thanks.
                                Last edited by Markus Kleis; Aug 2, 2009, 11:16 PM. Reason: No clickable links before 30 posts

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');