• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Archive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Clearcoat Failure Photo Archive

I edited the link since we can not allow clickable links by new members until they reach 30 posts.

I will say, though, that it definitely looked like clear coat failure to me.

Sorry :/

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
      I edited the link since we can not allow clickable links by new members until they reach 30 posts.

I will say, though, that it definitely looked like clear coat failure to me.

Sorry :/
      Thanks man.... ... nothing can be done.. hmmmmmmmm

Comment

Does this count?

Comment

Has anyone ever seen basecoat failure with the clearcoat intact? Well I think I've run into it.

We purchased an older 1994 Dodge Caravan that is in excellent condition mechanically, and with low miles too, but the red paint is rather suspect.

I have spent some quality time trying to bring out the luster, and restore some life to the finish, but I believe the van is heading for a repaint. Also, there are four spots on the hood that appear to be clearcoat failure, as the basecoat has begun to fade.

Usually, when a car's paint has clearcoat failure the basecoat is exposed, and any detailing pads will be stained with the base color...but not this time. The clear is intact, from what I can tell, but the basecoat is fading underneath in these four spots. I guess the previous owner just didn't use the right products to keep the paint's oils replenished?

Just though I would throw this out to you.
          r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprzout View Post
            Out of curiosity, can oxidization occur on a clearcoated car? I've only seen examples of it on what looks like single stage paint, so really haven't a clue if it can happen on a clearcoated car...
            Last time I polished my clear coated truck, I am pretty sure I was removing oxidation

Comment

I tried using ultimate compund and wax afterwards. also did cly bar b4 the utc and it didnt make a difference. Do I have clearcoat failure? Its on the hood and roof and rear wing.

Comment

Originally posted by tlrmax View Post
                I tried using ultimate compund and wax afterwards. also did cly bar b4 the utc and it didnt make a difference. Do I have clearcoat failure? Its on the hood and roof and rear wing.

Looks like it to me (from that picture), but more pictures would help.

Comment

those cracks at the bottom of the first page I have seen on multiple Nissan Xterra's and the dealership told me it was from bird droppings, I thought it was a paint failure, good thing that I found this forum
                  gainesvilledetailing.com is my blog about anything and everything automotive as well as the web since both are my passion.

Comment

Originally posted by rusty bumper View Post
                    Has anyone ever seen basecoat failure with the clearcoat intact? Well I think I've run into it.

We purchased an older 1994 Dodge Caravan that is in excellent condition mechanically, and with low miles too, but the red paint is rather suspect.

I have spent some quality time trying to bring out the luster, and restore some life to the finish, but I believe the van is heading for a repaint. Also, there are four spots on the hood that appear to be clearcoat failure, as the basecoat has begun to fade.

Usually, when a car's paint has clearcoat failure the basecoat is exposed, and any detailing pads will be stained with the base color...but not this time. The clear is intact, from what I can tell, but the basecoat is fading underneath in these four spots. I guess the previous owner just didn't use the right products to keep the paint's oils replenished?

Just though I would throw this out to you.
                    After much buffing, the clear is still intact, but the basecoat has faded in these four areas.

I have always believed that Meguiar's trade secret oils will penetrate the clearcoat and nourish the basecoat. Some rebuffed me on this a while back, but now I feel I have the proof to back up my claims.

Just my two cents worth for the day.
                    r. b.

Comment

Brilliant thread. I havent had any clear coat problems yet. Im on 13 year old original Indy Red paint from Chrysler. Im giving Meguiars all the respect its due for keeping my paint alive and thriving.
                      Shane
                      Cardomain · HINcity

Comment

Originally posted by Shizane2002 View Post
                        Brilliant thread. I havent had any clear coat problems yet. Im on 13 year old original Indy Red paint from Chrysler. Im giving Meguiars all the respect its due for keeping my paint alive and thriving.
                        Absolutely.

I have a '92 Dodge, and the paint still shines like new money with no peeling at all.
                        r. b.

Comment

my cars clear coat has started failing pretty quickly over the past 3 years or so, i try to keep on top of it and keep it cleaned, but its but failing all over the top of my car, dang texas sun! i need to get it re-sprayed

Comment

Originally posted by gainesvilledetailing View Post
                            those cracks at the bottom of the first page I have seen on multiple Nissan Xterra's and the dealership told me it was from bird droppings, I thought it was a paint failure, good thing that I found this forum
                            it is failure.. it is a paint defect. it is NOT bird ****.. bird **** is something different. I have those checkmarks all over my hood on my 07 Honda and apparently I am not the only one.. check this out if you don't believe me..

I even called honda and brought it to the dealership and have their body guy look at it.. he said it is checkering aka crows feet. it is NOt due to bird droppings...with bird droppings you will be able to see some oxidation and discolouration around the area of the affected paint as well.. like stains..

Comment

This is really a fantastic forum.
                              Thanks
                              ===========taylar

Comment

Originally posted by Spidey View Post
                                it is failure.. it is a paint defect. it is NOT bird ****.. bird **** is something different. I have those checkmarks all over my hood on my 07 Honda and apparently I am not the only one.. check this out if you don't believe me..

I even called honda and brought it to the dealership and have their body guy look at it.. he said it is checkering aka crows feet. it is NOt due to bird droppings...with bird droppings you will be able to see some oxidation and discolouration around the area of the affected paint as well.. like stains..
                                So is this issue isolated to the Honda hoods due to heat or is the issue throughout the car? I didn't see the answer in that thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');