The Clearcoat Failure Photo Archive - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Clearcoat Failure Photo Archive

Registered Member

Re: The Clearcoat Failure Photo Archive

I love this thread. It's so sad that car manufacturers used such crappy products and for the most part will not stand behind their product. I see so many cars on the road with this problem and some of them seem to be only a few years old.

I recently had the same issue with my older Eagle Summit where the clear coat had failed pretty badly on the roof and hood. It looked horrible with the clear coat layer raised up and white splotches all over the top of my car. The car still runs great and the AWD is super in the snow so I don't want to junk it just because of a bad paint job. I suspect that taking the car thru an automatic car wash contributed to this problem. I only started the automatic car washes last year, and the paint was great before that. I'm not sure if that contributed to the failure since the sun is pretty hot here in Denver, but the car has always garaged.

A few pictures below of my problem, and go here to see more: http://s217.photobucket.com/user/loc...%20my%20Repair

A few months ago I applied a product that I came across that did a pretty good job of hiding the ugly white splotches where the clear coat failed. It worked great on my older burgundy car and I've also applied it to several black cars as a test. It's been 2 months on my car and the damage is still hidden. It's certainly not a new paint job, but I can't afford that right now so this process was very acceptable to me, inexpensive and quick. I'm amazed at the posts that say "just get a new paint job" to solve this problem, but I can barely pay my health insurance now after the newest hefty increases. Even if I have to apply this product a few times a year, I'm happy to do it to hide those horrible splotches. After applying this product to the hood and roof, those areas were not as glossy as the rest of the car, so I applied two coats of Carnauba wax and that really brought out the shine. It looks pretty good now for a car from 1995.

There are a few YouTube videos of this product being used. Go to Youtube and search for "Eagle Summit Clear Coat" for a longer video that I made. Hope this helps someone.

That looks very good Mark5280. What I might have suggested before applying the clear-coat wipe, (or to anyone who is thinking of attempting this process) is to use the Meg compounds to polish and exfoliate some of the old existing clear, which will help to brighten the overall panel and blend away the voids that appear where the clear-coat is gone completely. This might eliminate some of the "bald" spots. In the Cutlass project shown below, a thorough 3000 D/A and multi-stage saved it's severely oxidized upper panels (trunk, roof, hood) and saved it's 30 year old paintwork.
    Uber-Shine, The Automobile Polishing Shop
    'Wet-Sanding & Restorative Polishing To The Trade Since 1976'
    www.uber-shine.com

Registered Member

Underhood temps, especially right after shutdown can exceed 180 F. I used a tell-tale remote thermometer to check (and document this) different areas of the engine compartment several years ago. I have several prop rods of about 12 inches to use to prop my hood open (a '96 and '03 Corvette and an '03 Tahoe) when I stop in the summer if the engine has come fully up to temperature. This allows the superheated air to vent out and not create hotspots on the underside of the hood. Expansion and contraction of a steel hood subjected to temp. extremes will obviously break the surface of the paint over time and speed deterioration. It only takes a second to pop the hood open when you stop.

Registered Member

Base on my experiences, if the CLEAR COAT is still on the CLOUDY OR HAZY stage, it is still actually can recovery that by sending with 3000 grit sanding disc along with the black foam interface from Meguiars and follow up with M100 and M205. But must be patient and quite gentle during the restoring porcess.

Registered Member

I need help in determining whether or not this is clear coat damage or oxidation. This is a 2 stage pearl white which makes it even more difficult for me to tell. The rest of the car isn't showing this, only the hood. The roof can also use some protection from this.

Registered Member

No one? Too busy to help??

Hard to tell from those photos.

Registered Member

Circled in red.

Registered Member

Circled it in red.

I saw that area. But it is still hard to say what that area is. Could be oxidation. Could be clear coat failure.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information