• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boat hull questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat hull questions

I have a neighbor who would like me to wax his boat's fiberglass hull. The boat is only a few years old. I looked at the hull and I see minor oxidation, not much of a shine probably due to salt water. I have a few questions:

Can I use the orbital buffer with a orange light cutting pad. I will be using Mequiar's marine polish. Will I need to apply a marine wax after the polish?

Thanks in advance....

Re: Boat hull questions

The polish itself wont remove any oxidation, you will need to use the oxidation remover. Your best bet is marine wax for this application.
    "I drink windex........it keeps me from streaking."

Comment

So can the polish step be skipped and instead go right to a marine cleaner wax?

Comment

I think he means marine wax after using the oxidation remover. Different products.

I finished my boat up two weeks ago by claying, then teh premium marine wax. Looks better than new currently.

Comment

DonC...

As soonercivic stated, a polish isn't designed to remove oxidation.

If the hull is white you have a few choices...

1) Just use M50 Cleaner/Wax, which is a one step product designed to remove light oxidation, add some gloss, and give some good protection...

2) Use a dedicated cleaner M49 Oxidation Remover or M67 One Step Compound followed by M50 or M63 Flagship Premium Wax for best results.

To use a polish on a white hull is optional...most of the time the polish is used on colored graphics to make them pop !

It really depends on how much time you are willing to spend...1 step or 2 step

You may also wish to visit our NEW Marine/RV dedicated website...it is filled with all sorts of great information as well !

You can use an orbital, but we would suggest sticking to a system approach...1 Brand throughout for best results

Mike
          Mike Pennington
          Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
          Meguiar's, Inc.
          800-854-8073
          mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

The M49 Oxidation Remover works really well for light oxidation and scratches. The thing with a boat is that if its got a gelcoat on it, they are VERY hard and so you might have a hard time removing any defects. A DA polisher or even a rotary (with experience) will be your best bet. My typical method, depending on the situation, goes like this:

M49 if needed
            M50 to increase shine and replace the oils in the original paint so it last longer.
            Follow that with M63 Flagship Wax because boats lead a hard life and this is a very durable wax for a gelcoat surface.

Good luck, boats are hard work.
            "I drink windex........it keeps me from streaking."

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');