• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At how many miles should I use high mileage oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At how many miles should I use high mileage oil?

At how many miles should high mileage oil be applied to a car? (Mustang GT). Which motor oil company produces the best high mileage oil?
    Alex
    1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
    1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
    1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Re: At how many miles should I use high mileage oil?

Mobil 1 gets my vote but unsure when you should use a 'high mileage' oil.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by stang97 View Post
      At how many miles should high mileage oil be applied to a car? (Mustang GT). Which motor oil company produces the best high mileage oil?
      I'd continue with what you are doing now. "High Mileage" oil is 95% marketing.

Stick with a good quality oil like Mobil 1.
      MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

How is Castrol syntec?
        Alex
        1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

All the synthetic oil blends are basically the same. Just use the correct grade and your fine, regardless of the name.
          "Between the possible and the impossible, lies what makes a man"

Comment

thanks guys.
            Alex
            1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

I have 116K on my truck I have 10W-30 in it. nothin special about it. I would like to change to synthetic so I can go 5000 between changes haha. Otherwise eh.
              02 Ford F250 Super Duty
              International T444E 7.3L Diesel
              Not exactly stock...laundry list of mods.
              Straight Piped
              PHP FU chip

Comment

I read from a reputed Porsche engine builder that said that racing / diesel oil is better for higher mileage / older engines. Supposedly, the oil has more zinc-phosphate additive than regular oil. This additive prevents sliding wear. However, this oil reduces catalytic converter longevity.

I really don't know what to think. I fill my daily driver with Mobil 1. My Porsche used to get Castrol High Mileage, but I have since switched to Valvoline VR-1 to get the zinc-phosphate additive. The engine was rebuilt ten years ago, but it has been driven less than 3k miles.

Hopefully, you Mustang was treated well in the past. I would personally drop the oil pan to remove any sludge, but this might be a little costly. Does the engine leak or burn oil? If it doesn't, I would use Mobil 1 for the life of the car.

As for synthetics, I really don't trust those '5000,' '7500,' and '10000' claims. It seems to me that people are testing the limits of lubrication. I especially don't want to test the limits and end up with sludge! That's why I fill every 3000 every time.
                Chris
                Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
                  I read from a reputed Porsche engine builder that said that racing / diesel oil is better for higher mileage / older engines. Supposedly, the oil has more zinc-phosphate additive than regular oil. This additive prevents sliding wear. ...
                  The higher zinc thing is for older design engines, which may or may not be of high mileage. There's been a lot of discussion on the subject in classic car circles. It's not hard to find with a little Googling.

I'm sure a 97 Mustang is too new to worry about it.

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by kellyinkc View Post
                    I'd continue with what you are doing now. "High Mileage" oil is 95% marketing.

Stick with a good quality oil like Mobil 1.

I have to agree, High Mileage oil is mostly advertising hype!
                    Todays motors are much better than the motors of 10 or 15 years ago. Given regular oil changes they will last many many miles.
                    I've always been crazy...
                    It keeps me from going insane!

Comment

porscheguy997. It does not burn oil. Carfax shows that it had regular maintenance done on it. So I am guessing you guys all like mobil 1 which is a great motor oil. I will see which oil to put in it and my oil change is coming up in about 200 miles. It has very very good compression.
                      Alex
                      1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');