• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#83 w/ orbital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #83 w/ orbital

I purchased #83 to get most of the scratches and swirls out of my truck with my orbital. Some of the cobwebbing is pretty bad. I will be doing this in this order:

wash
    clay bar
    NXT

My question is...I have deep crystal system polish, should I use that right after #83 or just go straight to NXT? What kind of pad should I use to apply #83 to? I have two microfibers and a sponge so far. I also have DC1 and two tubes of scratch-X. Thanks!
    98 QC Ram 5.9L 360
    Catback duals 2.5" into 3.5" chrome tips
    Edelbrock Proflow 1002

Re: #83 w/ orbital

What kind of orbital?

Comment

You should use something a little less agressive than #83 and then the wax. I would use #80 then the NXT.

You can use #83 with an orbital, but I don't think it will do that much.
      Chris
      Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Its a Vector 7" 3600rpm, I bought at Autozone. Since I do not have the PC I figured I would go with the more aggressive 83 since I do not have as powerful of machine.
        98 QC Ram 5.9L 360
        Edelbrock Proflow 1002

Comment

Originally posted by JTeg360 View Post
          Its a Vector 7" 3600rpm, I bought at Autozone. Since I do not have the PC I figured I would go with the more aggressive 83 since I do not have as powerful of machine.
          Best thing to do would be to try a Test Spot

Take the M83 and apply a strip of product on the face of the bonnet, use the microfiber bonnet for removing swirls and scratches.

Now work an area about 2' squared on the hood or deck-lid. Start out by moving the product out over the area you're going to work and then slow your arm speed down and move the polisher slowly over the 2' square area. Overlap your passes by 50% and move the polisher from side to side and then from front to back. The idea being to really work the diminishing abrasives against the paint in a thorough and effective pattern.

You're trying to remove a little paint. If you move the polisher to quickly or don't polish long enough, or don't push down hard enough, you won't remove any paint and thus you won't remove any swirls or scratches. Don't run the polisher until you go to a dry buff, that is you should always have a wet film on the surface, but do try to move the polisher in two directions for at least two passes.

Taken from here - you should read through the below link.

Move the polisher in different directions
          You also want to go in at least two different directions, for example, from where you're standing, side to side, then front to back. You can also move the polisher in a kitty/corner fashion for complete, thorough and uniform cleaning action.

Only work a small area at a time
          This will vary according to the shape, curve or body line of the panel you are polishing but for example on a large flat panel, you want to stay around a 12" to 18" squared area. The point being, don't try to work to large of an area all at once or you won't remove the defects equally everywhere.

Overlap your sections
          When you move on to a new section, overlap into the old section for a uniform end results.

If you're applying a pure polish, or a polish/wax or a pure wax, then you can polish larger areas at a time, use a faster arm speed, use less pressure and make fewer passes because when applying these types of products you're not trying to remove paint, merely do a good job of working the product in and leaving behind a thin even coating.

This does not apply when using a cleaner/wax like ColorX on neglected paint because in this situation you're again trying to remove paint.

The point of the cleaning step is to remove the defects. Because the G100's polishing action is gentle and therefore safe, it takes time to remove small particles of paint in an effort to remove a defect, so concentrate hard at doing your best work when doing the cleaning step, don't skimp out during the step and try to rush it, your results will reflect that you didn't do a good job the first time.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by JTeg360 View Post
            It appears that Vector has two 7" polishers. One is a high speed sander/polisher (rotary machine). The other is an "old style" orbital buffer. Which one do you have? I'm guessing the second.

I have used #83 with the "old style" orbital. It took several passes but it worked. I used a cotton cover on the pad. I think that you would have the same results with a microfiber cover. If you have a lot of "cobwebbing" you might want to have some one buff out your truck with a rotary buffer and then maintain it yourself.

Tom

Comment

Just to stress the important point...

Try working just one small area, your Test Spot. Use the M83, followed by either application of polish or wax. After you finish with your last step, the application and removal of wax, then inspect your results in good lighting.

If the Test Spot area looks good, then duplicate this process over the rest of the car. If it doesn't look good enough to make you want to continue the process over the rest of the car... won't you be glad you did a test spot first?

Then come back here and we'll help you with a new plan of action.

We will be waiting patiently to hear about the results from your test spot using tis Vector Orbital Polisher.

Good luck!
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Its this one:

absolutehome.com/web/catalog/product_detail.aspx?pid=192782&cm_ven=Froogle&cm_cat=Tools&cm_pla=Vector&cm_ite=Vector-Power%20Tools-192782&cid=8E374282EDDFA064B81480E59A63F28C

[Commercial links are not allowed on MOL; Thanks, 2hotford]
                98 QC Ram 5.9L 360
                Edelbrock Proflow 1002

Comment

Originally posted by tguil View Post
                  It appears that Vector has two 7" polishers. One is a high speed sander/polisher (rotary machine). The other is an "old style" orbital buffer. Which one do you have? I'm guessing the second.

Tom
                  Let's hope it is the orbital and not the rotary, nothing like learning how to use a rotary your first time!
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

[QUOTE=JTeg360;182331]Its this one:

You're good to go! Just follow Mike's directions and be ready for a full day's work or longer. Those Dodge trucks are mighty big.

You may or may not want to use a polish after #83. It all depends on how much of a perfectionist you are.

Have fun and good luck!

Tom

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');