• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No. 20 Polymer Sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No. 20 Polymer Sealant

Mike Phillips & I have had some rather interesting conversations in another thread, partly regarding No. 20...LOL.

Anyway, out of all the Meguiar's products I have to say this is one of my absolute favorites (currently in use on some of my family members cars). What, am I the only person here who uses or has used it? One tough product, and my absolute fave off the shelf wax.

For me, the shine is absolutely as good as No. 26 paste, and lasts way longer - I have had No. 20 still beading six months after my first application, and have had it last an entire Detroit, salt covered, commercial car wash use only winter.

Anyone else with similar experiences??
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Hi Len,

I detailed cars since I was roughly 17 years old. I started detailing cars professionally since 1991, (that is I charged money, I guess that's kind of an indicator of detailing as hobby and detailing as a business) From 1991 to 2002, roughly the time I came to work for Meguiar's, I always applied a coat of #20 to every car I detailed and then followed that with a coat of #16 Professional Paste Wax. I found this to give the car a very clear, glossy finish, that was swirl free and lasted a reasonable/long time. (You never know how your customer is going to take care of your work).

I like #20 Polymer Sealant. It goes on easy, wipes off easy and lasts a long time. The chemist here tell me that the polymers used in the Tech Wax protect better than the polymers used in the #20 and the Medallion. I know the chemists very well and trust their word. Note: I didn't say Tech Wax beads water longer, but that the polymers left behind on the surface protect the underlying paint better from attack from the things that would deteriorate the finish if they were allowed to come into direct contact with it.

#20 is one of my all-time favorite Meguiar’s products.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

So, are #20 and NXT pretty much the same thing? ie. polymer sealent? Which one gives long protection? better shine? silky smooth?
      Can they be use one top of other brand products like Vanilla Moose?
      Can they be layer?

Comment

when people talk about topping #20 they never mention having to wait 24 hours for a cure time like you do with nxt. why is that ?, or is that just an overlooked statement?
        2019 GMC Sierra
        1500 AT4

Comment

Originally posted by bigjason
          So, are #20 and NXT pretty much the same thing? ie. polymer sealent? Which one gives long protection? better shine? silky smooth?
          Can they be use one top of other brand products like Vanilla Moose?
          Can they be layer?
          Can't speak for NXT, but No. 20 is supposed to have some cleaners in it, and most of the information I have received from Meguiar's says it really can't be layered, because the cleaners are supposed to remove the layer you just applied.

Mr. Phillips, if you would please, could you clarify that.

As far as shine, better protection, etc, can't speak for anything other than No. 20. All I know, is that you can get four to six months out of No. 20, based on my experience, which in turn is based on how much surface prep you do.

As far as Mike's previous comments about about NXT having better polymers, I can't say, but if for me, as soon as it stops beading water, it's time to reapply. Beading is the only gauge I know of to tell if something is ready to be reapplied.
          If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Comment

Originally posted by 2000
            when people talk about topping #20 they never mention having to wait 24 hours for a cure time like you do with nxt. why is that ?, or is that just an overlooked statement?
            Overlooked statement. You want to allow all waxes to fully set-up.

Mike
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by bigjason
              So, are #20 and NXT pretty much the same thing? ie. polymer sealant? Which one gives long protection? better shine? silky smooth?
              The polymers used in NXT Tech Wax are completely different animals. the NXT formulas are all brand new formulas using new technology. I know the chemists, I know what they were requested to do, and that was come up with new formulas based upon new technology.

Can they be used on top of other brand products like Vanilla Moose?
              Sure, I can't speak for your results however...

Here's an article on

Topping NXT or other products

Can they be layered?
              Read this thread, the answer is yes and no, it depends upon your definition of the word Layer

Layering?

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Just from my experience when I use #20 I let it sit for 1hour before topping with NXT.
                I have not topped with anything else YET

I am relatively new at this and I just think #20 is better than anything I ever used,1 exception would be NXT.
                Rich
                If you don't have Meguiar's in your hand
                DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

I had mentioned in a previous post that I had tried #20 in the late 80' once, but never used it again after that. Earlier this year (about the time I got my PC) I bought a bottle of #20. After using it with the PC (I had a GEM orbital before) I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I had stopped using it. Anyhow, it now has a permanent place in my arsenal.
                  Don
                  12/27/2015
                  "Darth Camaro"
                  2013 Camaro ... triple black
                  323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');