• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to buy a Rotary Buffer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy a Rotary Buffer

I am looking into buying a rotary buffer to step up my results. What one is a good one to get for a first one. What other pads and such will I need to get. Any suggestions or help will.
    Thanks
    Mike
    Ford F150

Re: Looking to buy a Rotary Buffer

Originally posted by md20 View Post
    I am looking into buying a rotary buffer to step up my results. What one is a good one to get for a first one. What other pads and such will I need to get. Any suggestions or help will.
    Thanks
    Mike
    I would get a Rotary that will do 600 rpms on the lowest setting. When you first start learning slower speeds will give you a larger margin for error. I always start at 600 to spread the product and then speed up and I also finish at 600 as well. Slower speeds will cut down on hologramming as well.

That being said the Makita 9227 and the Hitachi SP18VA are two good choices. The are both light weight and have plenty of power. Dewalt DW849 is a good tool but it's heavier than these two. The weight really makes a difference when work the side panels.

As far as pad I use the same pads I use on my G100. I have 6.5 and 4 inch pads. I have some 8 inch pads as well but I feel you would be better off staring with the 6 inch pads. They're easier to handle.

Tic

Comment

Here are some things to think about:

Speed - As Tic said, the slow speeds help a lot when you are first learning.

Weight - Some polishers are a lot heavier than others and lend themselves to compounding duties. Others are lighter (Metabo) and are really nice for polishing.

Pick-up - Some polishers (Makita) have a slow pick-up which prevents the polisher from skipping - it's an instant 1200 rpm.

I really like my Makita. The weight is just right and is very comfortable to use. I bought mine off eBay hardly used with bag for $140.

As Tic said, the pads are just the same as the G100 pads. The polishing pad seems to work even better on the rotary.
      Chris
      Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Will you be using the rotary often?

If so, my current favorite is the Hitachi SP18VA, also.

If only for occasional use, look to Harbor Freight/Chicago Electric (really!). We have several in our shop, and they work just fine. We found them on sale for $24.95 - throw away the backing plate that is included - and go with 6" Meguiar's pads.

Remember, a rotary simply makes the pad go round...

Why do we have so many? One example, while we seldom use wool pads these days, when we want to get very aggressive nothing beats a big honkin 8" wool pad! Well, rather than spending the time to change pads AND backing plates, for about $40, we have a dedicated tool that is ready to use...

Try a search for Chicago Electric, you'll find lots of rotary suggestions.

Good Luck.

Jim

Good Luck
        If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it!

www.jimmybuffit.com

Comment

I just realized the OP was back in May.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');