• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you polish only so many times?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you polish only so many times?

Is there a limit to the number of times you can polish your car? My car only has 5700 miles (06 Charger with Brillian Black Pearl paint) and certainly has the typical micro-marring on it.

I hope to get a DA soon and will use some type of swirl remover (which one, to be determined). How many times could I use an abrasive polish over the years? I know the answer to this is variable but how can I tell when I'm getting close to removing all of the clear coat? I assume I don't want to do this.

Is there a point where you should stop using a polish because you're getting to the color coat?

Or am I worrying too much?

Re: Can you polish only so many times?

PHP Code:
    [PHP][PHP
    [/PHP][/PHP]With a G100/PC, the most aggressive product you can effectively use is #83. This is a cleaner/polish product. The cleaner side is a diminishing abrasive that breaks down as you apply it to the surface while working in a polishing oil. You really only use #83 for the tougher swirls. #80 is the usual "go-to" product for swirls or micromarring. #80 is also a cleaner/polish, but is more polishing oil, and less cleaner than #83. It is HIGHLY unlikely that you will ever get through the clear coat. I do a full detail with #80 followed with #9 at least twice a year on each of my daily drivers.

So, not to worry,the actual material removed is measured in microns, so cleaner/polish away!

ScratchX is used to remove single isolated scratches and blems by hand. It takes quite a bit of hand pressure (ie passion) to gently remove the problem. Here again it is HIGHLY unlikely to get through the clear coat.

With the DA buffer/polisher machine, about the only way to do any permanent damage is to drop it on the hood.

Comment

To add, you really only need to worry about this when constantly cleaning the paint with a rotary buffer and compounds, et cetera because those two together are very aggressive.

Comment

Read this thread done by Joe (superior shine). Excellent job and very descriptive.

How much paint you are removing.

Comment

Also, if you consciencely do your best to maintain the paint in-between detailing sessions there will be less need for cleaning the paint.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

If you need to polish you car that often, then you are doing something wrong in your detailing. Using the proper methods for washing and everything else will greatly reduce the number of times you need to polish.
            Scott

Comment

My cars get the twice a year #80 treatment due to the fact that they live outside 24-7 all year. I have a super carport, but the nearby oak and pine trees play havoc on the finish. (aphids in the oak trees to boot) Washing 3-4 times weekly with an app. of Spray wax or UQD and a weekly clay or ColorX w/ NXT does not keep the contaminants at bay. In addition, I UQD almost daily.

For most everybody else, they should only have to do a full treatment maybe once a year, if they keep up with their cars on a weekly basis.

Comment

You do want to be careful as Dodge has a very thin clear coat nowadays.

As mentioned above, if you keep the contaminants at bay and make sure you have good protection on the finish you won't be polishing all that often.

My Jaguar came with the dealer installed swirl option. It needed an aggressive polish to get them out. After that, I only had to polish it with #80 about once a year to maintain a beautiful swirl free finish. It was a black car and looked better than new when I turned it back in last month.

I found #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax worked very well on that car.

** oops, sorry, I see this is an old thread. **

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');