• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

detailing questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• detailing questions

Hi, obviously I’m new to the forum. Basically I’ve been reading around a lot lately on detailing my car. I’m new to all the different steps. I don’t know all the different abbreviations and numbers that you guys use yet, but I’m learning from the one thread that on here (Ex. #80, #7, PC). I’m 20 and I just purchased a 98 camaro SS. Well now that I’m broke I want it to look good. First let me say that it’s black and it has some rock chips and it is a daily driver plus it’s outside 24/7. I would say it’s great looking from 20ft. Also it will see rain, ice, snow and of course road salt. I’ve done the Meguiar’s online recommendation thingy and it told me different things to buy. Well basically my question is what would you guys recommend? And the proper order to do things in. I will be doing it all by hand because I don’t have a lot of money or skill to use an electric buffer yet. I want it to look pretty good but not necessarily show car perfect. I know I need to do the clay bar and there are swirls in the paint that you can see. So I know I will be spending some time, but hey I love the car. I’m more worried about the outside of the car but wouldn’t mind a couple tips on detailing the interior plastics and leather. I’m willing to spend the time detailing. I’m going to buy that 7 piece kit at walmart because it’s such a great deal. Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy message.
    fficeffice" />
    Nathan

Re: detailing questions

Well, if I lived in a place that had actual weather (vs year round girls in bikini's and short skirts) I think I'd just do the basic at this time of year. Wash, clay and two fully cured coats of wax. Trying to get out swirls and the like, when you'll be running over salted roads and driving in that "snow" stuff, would be a better project for the spring.

I'm a fan of the Gold Class interior products....leather conditioner especially. Getting and keeping the leather supple will be beneficial in really cold weather. Some GC or NTX vinyl protectant and you'll be set.

Mort

Comment

Originally posted by nrs2420 View Post
      Well basically my question is what would you guys recommend? And the proper order to do things in. I will be doing it all by hand because I don’t have a lot of money or skill to use an electric buffer yet.

Be sure to spend some time in both of these forums as most questions you'll come up with are likely already answered in one of these two places.

Hot Topics
      This forum contains threads on commonly asked questions and popular topics. If you can't find what you are looking for be sure to try using our search option.
      Cutting Pads with the PC -...
      by Mike Phillips
      May 14th, 2007 09:27 PM
      How-To Articles (1 Viewing)
      Tips and techniques with step-by-step instructions

Also read these two threads,

And if you haven't read this yet, be sure to give it good read through.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Welcome nrs2420. First of all if you want your ride to look good you have come to the right place. Trust we these guys know what they are talking about. OOH to be twenty broke and have my Z28 back.

Okay first it's Xmas. You can get a Porter Cable 7424 for $100.00 at TOOLSPLUS.COM. you are going to need a backing plate for the Meg's pads you can get it also for about $18.00. I would check out autodetailingsolutions.com also they have some great deals on Meg's product's. Maybe you could ask for it for Xmas from Santa. This is the perfect time of year you can ask different people for different items and each one is not that expensive on there own. That would be your best bet not that you can't make your car look good by hand but if you want to make your friends jealous thats the way to go. I have a black car as well. I used #80 speed glaze with a polishing pad #7 polish with a finishing pad and the NXT 2.0 that comes in the 7 piece gift pack that I applied by hand and it looks great. You are going to need some micro fiber towels as well.

Do alot of reading here!! It will make you more comfortable when you get started.

Patience when you use products either by hand or with the machine. Have time to do it correctly. If you are in a rush you defiantly will not get the results you want.

Good luck.
        mlc

Comment

thanks for the replies, I'll be sure to keep reading around for information.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');