• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lots of Detailing=no paint left?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of Detailing=no paint left?

I have always wondered about this. If every time you detail, you use an abrasive product like 80/83, and you take off an ever-so-thin layer of paint, wouldn't you theoretically eventually rub off all the paint over a time period of several years?

Re: Lots of Detailing=no paint left?

Technically, yes, you would eventualy rub through.

But the key is that if you are using good washing techniques, and other good car care techniques, you shouldnt need to use something like #80 every week. Really, using #83 more than once a year means you are doing something wrong to cause swirls.

There is a thread around here somewhere with the measurements on it, but if I recall, it came out that you could use #80 (and proper pads, G100, good technique) quite often for 15 years or more with no problems.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

You would have to polish for a very long time to do any damage with a G100 and 80 or 83.

This thread will give you an idea of what is going on when you polish - How much paint are you removing?
      Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Yeah, Joe when you made that thread I was like amazed, I then realized how much paint was I really removing.

But I have to agree with Murr1525, using a good wash technique and well care for your paint is the key.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');