• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NXT...2 coats.....or is it 4??? PICS!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NXT...2 coats.....or is it 4??? PICS!!!

Today we had and unseasonally warm day (76*!!!!) So of course I had to break out the PC and some NXT.

During the rinse, I noticed that if I hit the car with a hard stream, the water beaded like crazy. If I flooded the surface, the water sheeted off VERY quickly. (It has been a bit over a week since I first applied the NXT and it has rained nearly every day).

Since last talking to Mike, I decided to use a Lake Country polishing pad instead of the finishing pad I'd used before. I was a bit more liberal with the #34 keeping the pad lubricated. I used less NXT than before, but in several areas I was getting the "first pass product on the car, 2nd pass product gone again" phenomenon. I also kicked the PC up to '4' this time.

Like I did last week, I applied a coat of NXT to the entire car allowed it to cure for 1/2 hour, buffed it off and applied a 2nd coat and allowed it to cure for a couple of hours then buffed it off.

That is where the question "2 coats or 4" comes from. I know common wisdom says "2" the second coat being applied so soon after the first only ensured complete coverage.

Whatever the case may be, the results are nothing short of incredible. I'll let them speak for themselves:

Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

More

Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"

Comment

Last one
      Don
      12/27/2015
      "Darth Camaro"

Comment

That looks real good but I am a little confused... Let me get this straight, you applied 2 coats a week ago then two more today, right? Are you using 34 the entire time you are using the NXT or only to "prime" the pad? Sound like something I might try the results look awsome!
        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I did the car one panel at a time (until the whole car was coated) and misted the pad about every other panel with #34. Then I let the 1st "coat" dry for 1/2 hour or so, then repeated the process with the 2nd "coat," let it dry for about 4 hours, then buffed it off.
          Don
          12/27/2015
          "Darth Camaro"

Comment

My biggest problem seems to be that on one pass the NXT is laid down nicely then the next overlapping pass takes it right off again.

Maybe I'm trying to apply it TOO thin?? I put a thin line around the ridge of the pad, about the width of a thick spaghetti noodle 1/8" wide), sometimes put two lines down on the pad. Does that sound like enough?
            Don
            12/27/2015
            "Darth Camaro"

Comment

76 in Cleveland? My dad probably called in to go play golf!
              SRT-10 Silver

Comment

76° in Cleveland? I'm jelaous as it did not get up to 76° here, only the 60s.

Looks great, Don. Did you remove the previous #16 you had on the car, or just apply the NXT right over it? While the #16 looked great, the NXT looks even better! There is definitely a difference but I am not sure how to describe it. The NXT gives a deeper shine would be the best way I can describe it.

I like the way NXT works on lighter colors. If you applied #20 to your car and then MPPP side by side, you probably would not see much difference and both would look very good. But if you put #20 and MPPP side by side on a black car you would see a difference. Now if you put NXT side by side with either #20 or MPPP on your car I think you would see a noticeable difference.

RamAirV1
                2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Originally posted by RamAirV1
                  Looks great, Don. Did you remove the previous #16 you had on the car, or just apply the NXT right over it? While the #16 looked great, the NXT looks even better! There is definitely a difference but I am not sure how to describe it. The NXT gives a deeper shine would be the best way I can describe it.

I like the way NXT works on lighter colors. If you applied #20 to your car and then MPPP side by side, you probably would not see much difference and both would look very good. But if you put #20 and MPPP side by side on a black car you would see a difference. Now if you put NXT side by side with either #20 or MPPP on your car I think you would see a noticeable difference.

RamAirV1

No removal of anything (except for the dirt & road grime during the wash ) I applied the NXT right over the 'couple of weeks old' coat of #16. I have since applied a top coat of #16 (a waste and and probably a bit overboard, but such is the nature of the detailing beast)
                  Don
                  12/27/2015
                  "Darth Camaro"

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');