• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to wet sand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to wet sand

I hope this is in the right area.

I have a 1993 Ford F-150 truck that has some "stuff" that looks like its in the paint or clear coat. Would I be better off sanding it down to get rid of these or would something like diamond cut work better? Its hardly a showroom looking truck, but after seeing all the extreme makeovers..makes me wonder how good it could be. The truck as a dark blue paint on it, if it makes any difference.
    Last edited by AeroCleanse; Dec 13, 2007, 03:00 PM. Reason: More info
    AeroCleanse, LLC
    Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
    www.aerocleanse.com

Re: When to wet sand

Have you tried a clay bar? Wet sanding is more for the removal of surface defects while a clay bar will remove contaminants that are in the paint.

Also, have you tried a paint cleaner like DC1, M80, M02? I would try those after claying.
    Chris
    Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
      Have you tried a clay bar? Wet sanding is more for the removal of surface defects while a clay bar will remove contaminants that are in the paint.

Also, have you tried a paint cleaner like DC1, M80, M02? I would try those after claying.
      I have clayed it, but they seem more like they are bonded into the paint or clear. Haven't tried any paint cleaner yet.
      AeroCleanse, LLC
      www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Typically you don't fix problems like this by wet-sanding. It's not that it won't work but there are less aggressive steps to try first like a paint cleaner applied by hand or with a dual action polisher.

And yes, trying a compound with a rotary buffer would be something to try before sanding on the paint.

Most wet-sanding is done on fresh paint because it's softer and more easy to buff out sanding marks. Factory paint and paint on a 1993 Ford Truck is no longer "fresh" and in most cases removing sanding marks will be difficult.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

So would you suggest something like M80 and if that doesn't work M83? I can try and take a pic but I only have a cell phone camera, so it might not come out the best.
          AeroCleanse, LLC
          www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');