• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to buff small hard to reach areas that are badly swirled ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to buff small hard to reach areas that are badly swirled ?

This one goes out to the elite like Mike Phillips, Joe @ Superior Shine etc..
    How do you buff right to the edge of an emblem, between a headlight and the bumper, over a door handle, all those tight little areas?

My question is geared towards when the paint is severly swirled and you would be doing a complete detail with numerous steps and starting with a compound and rotary buffer. Im looking for that extra bit to push a detail from 90-95% to perfection.

Thanks in advance. Any form of guidance wll be much appreciated.

P.s. glad to see the old forum back. Doing a black lexus Monday so I will get pics up for Wednesday night.
    ''Find a job you love and you will add five days to your week!''

Re: How to buff small hard to reach areas that are badly swirled ?

I'm not Mike or Joe but I use the 4 inch pads for tight places when I can. Other times you might have to tilt the rotary up and use the edge of the pad. When I tilt it up I slow down to 600 rpms to keep from slinging and give my self a more margin for error. It takes a steady hand even at 600 rpms.

Comment

hey mexmick
      I use the 4.5" foam meguiars applicator pads to help get in those tight/small areas
      also read from mike phillips that he and the others at meguiars use terry cloth towels cut in 3"x3" pieces. THANKS MIKE! GREAT IDEAL
      I use this little trick/tip also for polishing aluminum rims or anything that I can't get to with a rotary or a pc.
      hopeI've helped
      ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
      You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
      Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Thanks for the quick replys guys.
        Hey stang, I finally got a decent camera Check by and give me your opinion on this Lexus im going to be doing. It will be my first proper post on a detail. Would have done one earlier but was put off by the new forum.

Anyways......yeah ive used the terry cloth trick but more for oxidised paint where I could work #80 by hand to bring it back as Mike showed when they did the red Toyota pick up. I have the 4'' LC pads alright and do use them but im not that confident that they work effectively in all areas. I can do a good job but not as good as on a larger panel.
        You know when you see a picture of a car Joe has done and every inch of it is perfect? Seems to be that no matter how close I get my pad working to the edge of the area, I cant fully remove the defects out towards the edge.

I'll try the pad on its side but would be slightly wary of damaging the paint. Any other tricks I should know about ?!
        ''Find a job you love and you will add five days to your week!''

Comment

I've used the 4'' pads and they work well.
          I thought they were a waste of money and time but they're quite awesome.

Give them another chance, maybe they'll work for you this time

Comment

hey mexmick can't find your post on the lexus
            also tried to pm&e-mail you and can't because your not receiving any?
            sorry
            ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
            You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
            Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

I use a Dremel with 1/2" pads gets into tight spaces but it takes forever to do a whole car

Comment

Guess everyone is totally oppssed to do anything by hand anymore

Around emblems, under wings, around fog lights, I do all of these areas by hand.
                2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
                2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

I am not as experienced as many others here but I did a VW bug with a the G100 and taped off areas like headlights and emblems with painters tape. Then I ran the polisher right to the edge and onto the taped area so I could get to the paint edge. It didn't bother the tape at all and I went right to the edge.

I have not used a rotary so maybe it doesn't work as easily with those since it is a different motion and may rip the tape off easier.

I would think these areas could be worked by hand and even if it is not exactly the same as the flat surfaces done by machine, the difference would be hard to detect because it's not as easy to notice the difference. It's much easier in the middle of a big flat surface.

Comment

Originally posted by n737nc View Post
                    Guess everyone is totally oppssed to do anything by hand anymore

Around emblems, under wings, around fog lights, I do all of these areas by hand.
                    I wouldn't say we are opposed to doing anything by hand, it's just sometimes there are tight areas with defects that require a little more power that what the arm/hand can provide.

What I am doing now that I have a rotary is I set my rotary up with the regular sized pads, and the PC is set up for 4" pads. This way, I can use the PC on door pillars and other tight areas. Recently thru an on-line vendor, I just picked up a kit with 6, CCS 4" pads (2 light cutting, 2 polishing, and 2 finishing), 2 MF towels, 3" rotary backing plate with PC and drill adapters for $39. The kit also came with a pad cleaning solution.

The 4" pads are also nice for working PlastX on headlights.

Comment

Bump,

Mike? Joe?
                      <-- In it's natural habitat

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');