• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RSS Feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSS Feed

Hi,

The old forum had an RSS feed where topics came right into my Outlook. Does this new forum have that capability? I've looked everywhere and don't see anything?

Thanks,
    Mark (aka..Hoosker)

Re: RSS Feed

Go to the FAQ and search for RSS. I didn't try it, but they show how to construct the RSS link.

Comment

We'll look into this...
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: RSS Feed (How-to)

In order to create an RSS feed that can be read by other sites you create a "subscription" URL to the MOL site or forum within MOL you wish to provide as an RSS feed.

The URL to display the most recent posts on all of MOL must be like this: http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2

To create an RSS feed for just one forum the URL would be: http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/ext...S2&forumids=80 this one is for the Hot Topics Forum. Change the forumids value (which is 80 for this example) to the forum id (f=##) you see at the top of the forum you wish to create an RSS feed from.

There are other settings that can be added to control how many items are displayed and which order they are displayed etc. Information about these is in the vB Manual and vB Forums.

Here is a thread in the vB forums that discusses using RSS and other external data features.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73540

Now you are probably asking, "What can I do with an RSS Feed?" The answer is "many things," but the most common uses are to put the feed into a thread on your personal forum, put the feed onto your website, put the feed on Trillian, Google homepage, My Space page, etc.

One last thing to help you out, if you are using Firefox as your browser you can simply click the orange and white icon that appears at right side of the address (URL) box near the top and it will give you the URL for that RSS feed and some options as to where you can add the subscription. This is VERY cool.

I hope this answers most of your RSS questions, have fun with it!

Comment

Thanks for the information, however, I use the RSS feed in my Outlook in Office 2007. You can go to the folders section under RSS and right click to add a new feed. Add the feed string, and boom, everytime someone posts, it sends a notification of a posting with the subject line.
          >
          I believe it is something that has to be done on Meguiars end with the server to make it work?
          >
          Using your example on how to add one, I used your string, http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/ext...S2&forumids=80 , but in my case, replaced it with 22, which is the forum number for Detailing 101.
          Outlook told me it didn't like my addition, specifically it said "Outlook cannot process the RSS Feed from http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/ext...S2&forumids=80 , the link may nopt point to a valid RSS".
          >
          Any ideas?? Thanks for your time.

Mark, aka "Hoosker"

Comment

Mr. Phillips,
            Hope your well these days and using that boat of yours. I met you at the NJ Class you did last summer, in Jamesburg, NJ.
            Learned a lot that day, and just wanted to wish you HAPPY HOLIDAYS & Merry Christmas!
            Hoosker

Comment

Mark, I just tried this one (Suggestions to improve our forum)

I did it in Thunderbird and got 2 messages. So it looks like it is turned on in the forum. Maybe there is something else that needs to be done with Outlook?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosker View Post
                Thanks for the information, however, I use the RSS feed in my Outlook in Office 2007. You can go to the folders section under RSS and right click to add a new feed. Add the feed string, and boom, everytime someone posts, it sends a notification of a posting with the subject line.
                >
                I believe it is something that has to be done on Meguiars end with the server to make it work?
                >
                Using your example on how to add one, I used your string, http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/ext...S2&forumids=80 , but in my case, replaced it with 22, which is the forum number for Detailing 101.
                Outlook told me it didn't like my addition, specifically it said "Outlook cannot process the RSS Feed from http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/ext...S2&forumids=80 , the link may nopt point to a valid RSS".
                >
                Any ideas?? Thanks for your time.

Mark, aka "Hoosker"
                Mark -- I 'm not familiar with how Outlook deals with RSS. But, there are a few different formats for RSS, RSS, RSS 2.0, and RSS for Podcasts. The example I included was for RSS 2.0 (the type=RSS2 parameter determines that), perhaps if you try just "type=RSS" and see if Outlook only handles RSS 1.0 not 2.0. It may be necessary to do a bit of poking around on the Outlook support forums to see what they say.

Ross

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosker View Post
                  Mr. Phillips,
                  I met you at the NJ Class you did last summer, in Jamesburg, NJ.
                  Learned a lot that day, and just wanted to wish you HAPPY HOLIDAYS & Merry Christmas!
                  Hoosker
                  Thank you!

Glad you enjoyed the class, I know I did.
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: RSS Feed - IT WORKED ROSS!~EUREKA~!!

HEY ROSS,

YOU ARE THE MAN! THAT'S WHY YOUR THE WEBMASTER BABY! IT WORKED, BY SIMPLY TAKING OUT THE 2 FROM RSS2, AND TYPING 22, vs. 80 YOU GAVE IN YOUR EXAMPLE...I TYPED IT IN.
                    SUDDENLY, 30 MESSAGES FROM DETAILING 101 POPULATED MY E-MAIL LIST, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, AND OH YEAH, THANK YOU!
                    NEWBIES - THIS IS A GREAT WAY TO STAY PLUGGED IN WITH THE FORUM, WITHOUT LOGGING IN AND CHECKING. WHEN A MESSAGE IS POSTED TO THE MEG. FORUM, A COPY IS SENT TO MY OUTLOOK E-MAIL, YOU SHOULD TRY IT!
                    (BTW - I USE OUTLOOK 2007)
                    IF IT DOESN'T WORK THE FIRST TIME, TRY ALL THE TWEAKS IN THIS THREAD, YOU'LL GET IT. THANKS AGAIN ROSS!

Comment

Hmm I wonder if I'm having a problem with it. As I click on the RSS feed link and I'm pulling up December 29th as the newest posts. I'll look into trying to flush out my info.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');