• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Direct Sunlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct Sunlight

So, I've always gotten awesome comments on my car's detailing progress but the only thing I've run into is spider webs in direct sun light on my paint.

Sadly, this is when car shows are, so I can't hide it for anything and this usually costs me the show (or at least number 1 spot)...

I tried ScratchX (older formula) by hand but it didn't do anything, it helped a little, but it's still very noticable when you're up close.

Is there anything I can do to help this issue? All polishing has always been by hand!
    2004 Mitsubishi Galant LS - 3.8L V6 (13.8 @ 103 MPH)

Re: Direct Sunlight

Working by hand, ScratchX (either old or new) is the answer. The key is applying it properly.

What did you do to apply it and work it in before?

It really need worked in with a lot of passion, and several applications.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I cleaned the car off with quick detailer to get rid of any dirt (I've also washed and cleaned the paint prior, all meguiars products) then used a meguiars applicator pad to apply it and buff it in so to speak for about 10 minutes on the same panel (ouch) and then used a Meguiars MF cloth to remove...and it reduces the spider webs just not eliminates them.

Comment

So you improved them, which is good.

But I think you have found the problem with working by hand. To use a safe product (one that wont leave more scratches behind), it has to be fairly mild, and when you combine a mild product with working by hand, it will take a few applications in the same area to get the job done.

Also, you mentioned working for 10 minutes... it should not stay workable for that long. You really want to push the pad and product into the paint, almost making the car rock on its shocks really, and then when it turns from white to more of a vaseline, you can remove.

Comment

Well, I kept adding a little bit every few minutes or so to keep it workable (which I'm guessing is wrong now).

I get paid next Monday so I'm thinking about getting the polisher from meguiars and the new compound for it? Is it that much better?

Comment

Adding a little every so often might not be so bad... but without wiping the old stuff off the surface you might lose some of the bite of the product.

Well, of course working by machine will be much easier, just a matter of investing in the machine, pads, products. But if you plan to be keeping up with your car, doing regular details, it will certainly give better results. Obviously the first couple times you will have to get used to it, but even the first time when I had no idea what I was doing it removed a lot of swirls from my car. There is also a good DVD for it at autodetailingsolutions.com which is highly recomended, and may be some package deals when the new polisher comes out.

I dont think any of the new compounds in particular are for your situation. You probably want to look at #80 Speed Glaze as your main product.

I will have to find a few links to put up for you later in case you havent seen them.

Comment

Well, I think I'm going to invest in one, hell it's just going to make my life faster anyways...

What about buying different pads for it, are there seperate ones?

Comment

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
                Step 1 Wash
                Step 2 Clean
                Step 3 Polish
                Step 4 Protect
                Step 5 Maintain

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Rotary vs. PC vs. Regular Orbital Buffer

Recommended Products - G100a Dual Action Polisher

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

1986 Ford Bronco II - Extreme Makeover

Each one, teach one... Ferrari Fiorano 355 F1 Spider

As far as pads, are you in the US? The best place would be ADS mentioned above. They sell cases of 6, and you could get 1 7006 cutting pad ro cover with a bonnet for removing wax, 3 8006 pads for cleaning(cleaner/polishing), and 2 9006 pads for waxing.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');