• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to buy an inexpensive rotary to hold me over, quick Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to buy an inexpensive rotary to hold me over, quick Q

I'm saving up for the Dewalt or Makita..still deciding. In the meantime I want to polish up some headlights after wetsanding so I'm gonna stop by harbor freight tomorrow and pick up their rotary. My question is which one is their rotary? 92623-2VGA or 90820-3VGA? Are both of them rotary? thanks in advance

Re: Going to buy an inexpensive rotary to hold me over, quick Q

They're both rotaries. I really don't see a difference, other than one starts at a lower RPM and price..
    Preference call on this one ..
    Joe's detailing (Since 2002)
    ''We begin where the car wash Ends.''
    (269)650-2242

Comment

They both can be used as a rotary. I have the 92623-2VGA because I like the handle better than the other one, and it works very well. It is quite a bit noisier than the more expensive rotaries and a lot heavier, but it gets the job done and I couldn't be happier with the results. I would recommend getting a Meguiars backing plate and pads because all the information on the forum is about them. Good luck!!
      1988 Toyota Tercel 1.5l I4 - AKA the BEAST
      1994 BMW 325CI
      2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
      SR Detailing

Comment

Awesome thanks for the quick replies guys. Just what I was looking for.

Comment

Im still new with detailing but definately want to move up from the PC would the chicago electric be a good start with the rotary while I save up or should I just go ahead and wait, I figure why not practice somehow and I would always have one on hand, opinions?
          I'm addicted to cars...I'm thinking about checking into the Henry Ford clinic. - Tim Allen, Home Improvement

Comment

Originally posted by tacomachas View Post
            Im still new with detailing but definately want to move up from the PC would the chicago electric be a good start with the rotary while I save up or should I just go ahead and wait, I figure why not practice somehow and I would always have one on hand, opinions?
            I just got the CE Rotary a few days ago and tried it out yesterday. My general impression of it is this that it is defiantly a budget rotary. It is not well balanced and therefore not the easiest thing to control. I have noticed that it does tend to bog down pretty easily, and therefore you have to be careful on what RPM you are actually running at. The trigger is more or less an on/off switch while you adjust the RPM via the dial, which btw you are doing constantly due to the machine bogging down a lot. Far from ergonomicly designed. When trying to screw the handle on you need an extension for the wrench as it is nearly impossible to screw the screws in, and when you do realize that it isn't on the side you want for a certain section, you are better off just buying another one for $25 and screw the handle in the other way because it is nearly impossible! It is loud, and overall, just a cheap machine compared to a Makita (the only other rotary I've used).

With that said though, it was totally worth the $25, because even though it is much worse than the Makita in every way, plain and simple, it works and gets the job done in a much shorter time than the PC would have (from my experience at least) while being able to tackle the deep and heavy imperfections. Keep it as a backup, or as the machine you will only use every once in a while, but either way, I couldn't be happier with my purchase, but do look forward to getting a Makita or Metabo in the future.

Comment

awesome thanks for the quick response, thats just what I thought it might be like, but I figure why not for $25 thats not going to set me back a whole lot but at least I can get some practice and when I finally do get a makita it'll be a breeze hopefully. Thanks

Chas
              I'm addicted to cars...I'm thinking about checking into the Henry Ford clinic. - Tim Allen, Home Improvement

Comment

I just bought one today I paid $50 and got some cheap polishing equipment with it. I was wondering if anyone could identify the speeds for me. I know the best speed is around 1800 but I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the tick marks on the speed changer are in relation RPM's

Comment

I bought mine today. I haven't used it yet but will try it out tomorrow. I powered it up to see how it spins and so far so good. I'm hoping this thing will work fine for polishing after wetsanding.

Also tacomachas, the store price was $50, but I asked the guy why it had gone up in price b/c it was 29.99 a couple weeks ago and he honored the 29.99 price. I know it's not a big deal but I'm sure if you went back with your receipt they would give you a refund.

Comment

Originally posted by Detailer27 View Post
                    I bought mine today. I haven't used it yet but will try it out tomorrow. I powered it up to see how it spins and so far so good. I'm hoping this thing will work fine for polishing after wetsanding.

Also tacomachas, the store price was $50, but I asked the guy why it had gone up in price b/c it was 29.99 a couple weeks ago and he honored the 29.99 price. I know it's not a big deal but I'm sure if you went back with your receipt they would give you a refund.
                    Better yet, print this out, and show it to them for the online price of $25.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf-Strong View Post
                      I did the very same thing last week and got mine for $25!
                      K3AKE 147.555

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf-Strong View Post
                        Even at that price their still making a profit, since in REALITY it probably costed them $15 too $20 they buy bulk .
                        Joe's detailing (Since 2002)
                        ''We begin where the car wash Ends.''
                        (269)650-2242

Comment

yeah I actually took my receipt back the day after with a print out and they honored it so I got $26 back which is a huge amount for me. WHy dont they just advertise it as $24.99 in the stores?

Yeah I plan to use mine this week to start practicing before spring but so far when I start it up sounds good. No crackling that I know most people here. I want enough practice so I can do a full car by early spring, gotta start knockin on body shop doors for extra hoods and fenders to use

Chas

Comment

Originally posted by netspec View Post
                            I did the very same thing last week and got mine for $25!
                            January 24th, bought that cheap rotary at Harbor Freight today, on sale, $19.99. Variable speed, 200-3377 RPM. At that price, who could resist?
                            Heatgain (Gary)
                            The Irate Magistrate
                            Neutral & Detached

Comment

Originally posted by tacomachas View Post
                              yeah I actually took my receipt back the day after with a print out and they honored it so I got $26 back which is a huge amount for me. WHy dont they just advertise it as $24.99 in the stores?
                              because theres always that guy that goes into the store w.o knowing about the online deal and buys it for $10-15 more than the discounted price. he may hear about it but never tried to get the coupon validated... HF is up $10-15!
                              AJ Auto Detail, LLC

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');