• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Streaking with Hot Rims Chrome Wheel Cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Streaking with Hot Rims Chrome Wheel Cleaner

I've been experiencing some streaking with Hot Rims Chrome Wheel cleaner. Before, I used water, soap, and microfiber and came out very nice. I would lightly wax it by hand as well (literally, by hand applying light thin wax on chrome) and it would come out great. At first, Hot Rims Chrome Wheel cleaner seems to do the job, but then after a while I come back and see streaks of the product and they are sometimes hard to get out? Any ideas on why?

I use clean microfibers on the chrome.

Re: Streaking with Hot Rims Chrome Wheel Cleaner

Could it be reside that's not getting completely rinsed off creeping onto the wheel as you're doing other things and then drying there?

We'll send the link to this thread to our resident wheel expert, Tom MacDonald.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hey,

What wheels (oem, other) are you applying the product on?

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

My Cadillac Seville came with a chrome wheel option from the factory, and so actually you can say its OEM chrome wheels.

Sorry for not getting back sooner, been busy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
          Could it be reside that's not getting completely rinsed off creeping onto the wheel as you're doing other things and then drying there?.....
          I've had it happen, that's what it could be. Those lug holes hold a lot of water. I end up stuffing a corner of a MF towel to soak it up.

Aaron
          Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

I sent the link to this thread to Tom MacDonald who has a lot of experience with all kinds of wheel issues but apparently he's taken some vacation time off for the holidays, so until he returns, here's two simple things you can try,

1. Wash one of the wheels you're seeing streaking on with just car wash soap and water and a wash mitt, then rinse thoroughly and inspect.

2. If the streaking is still there after washing with a normal car wash, next try a metal polish that is safe for chrome to an area where there's streaking and see of the polish removes the streak residue. You could even try a cleaner/wax.

Let us know what kind of results you get.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

id say mike is on the money, i even find this happens with my hyper silver alloys. its worth going back around 10-15mins later and wiping them down again.

Comment

Will try that Mike.

This was my process:

Wash wheels with Meguiar's Chenille Wash Pad and whatever soap I am going to use (not same bucket).

Rinse, dry.

Go back and spray with Hot Rims Chrome Wheel Cleaner. Wipe clean w/ clean MF.

Come back then it has streaks...I re-wipe with MF...some still left.

I will try what you said Mike.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by SL1CK View Post
                  Go back and spray with Hot Rims Chrome Wheel Cleaner. Wipe clean w/ clean MF.
                  Any wheel cleaner should be rinsed off, just like car wash soap.

Comment

Actually for that step I couldn't remember what I use to do Roush haha...I've been away at college for the past 1+ months...but I assumed that's what I did (can't remember)

Comment

Does it need to be rewashed (as in, rewashed with my chenille pad & soap) when its sitting there? Or do I let it sit for a little and just rinse? Then wipe?

Comment

Spray it on, let it sit (scrub if you're going to, just make sure if it is a wash mitt, you are only using it for the wheels), spray off, then dry. That should leave the chrome streak free unless it isn't chrome.

I know about the whole school thing, just took my last two finals today!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');