• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Body Shop Overspray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Shop Overspray

Just recentely had a fender bender with someone failing to stop for a red light I had the green and slammed into the other car. The body shop did a horrible job of the repairs and took forever to get my car back. The shop lost my wheel lock and also did not correctly assemble my suspension parts and let my sway bar bone looking bolt connections off on both sides. Upon further inspection I have an unusual rough feel to the paint which I believe is overspray on the wheels and body. What is the best way to remove this overspray. I have a meg's polisher and the car has seen it's good number of layers of wax. My thinking is I can simply clay off the overspray and the fact that I used so many layers of wax might save me. I will post pics of the car and later post pics of the overspray if in fact I can get a good picture of the overspray.

Last edited by Ed 718; Dec 19, 2007, 02:45 PM.
    2005 MACHINE SILVER C6 CORVETTE - 2006 POLAR WHITE SCION XB - 2003 LEMANS SUNSET NISSAN 350Z
    "You can take the New Yorker out of NY, but you'll NEVER take NY out of the New Yorker"

Re: Body Shop Overspray

I had bad overspray on my Neon, which came from the factory. I had the same symptoms, rough paint.

I clayed it and it was smooth as a babies rump.

Try that.

If it's not that, then I would take it back, may have dirt on the surface when it was painted.

Aaron
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Originally posted by Ed 718 View Post

Sorry to hear about what happened. Its to bad to hear about shops doing bad jobs whether repainting or fixing a car, they seem to get a bad rep. Clay should take care of it if it is overspray, then if you could it would be best to put a layer of wax or some quickwax if you have some. Just wondering is that an r32 in the backround?
      Last edited by mudvayne9790; Dec 19, 2007, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Yes indeed that is a r32 which was used with my Z for a photoshoot.
        2005 MACHINE SILVER C6 CORVETTE - 2006 POLAR WHITE SCION XB - 2003 LEMANS SUNSET NISSAN 350Z
        "You can take the New Yorker out of NY, but you'll NEVER take NY out of the New Yorker"

Comment

Originally posted by Nappers View Post
          I had bad overspray on my Neon, which came from the factory. I had the same symptoms, rough paint.

I clayed it and it was smooth as a babies rump.

Try that.

If it's not that, then I would take it back, may have dirt on the surface when it was painted.

Aaron
          Yeah I was gonna clay the affected area and then go from there. Simple wax did not do the trick so I may have to resort to the clay bar.

Comment

With Nappers. Go the clay route. It should make a huge differance. Good luck. keep us posted on your progress.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Definitely use clay to remove paint overspray. Make sure the car is very clean before starting.

Might want to test/feel the glass and all the body panels. Where cars are painted, overspray is in the air. The longer your car is in or around a body shop the better the chances for overspray.

Overspray is not selective, wherever it lands it will tend to stick or glue itself onto, for this reason you might want to feel your window glass and other areas of the car.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I wouldnt look at it as resorting to the clay bar.... A clay bar is easy to use and can be a regular part of your detail process, maybe doing it a couple times a year. (A show car probably needing less than a daily driver)

With overspray, try to clay gently at first, but you might end up having to give it a little more passion and effort than normal, but a once-over with something like #80 will take care of any swirls as well.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I believe I have a bottle of # 80 at home however at what speeds do I use the polisher set at? The Z was in the shop almost two months so I can see how the overspray got all over the car. I've been waiting so long for my car and when I get it back I have these problems. I have always maintained my car using nothing but Meg's and even set up a Z detail day at the headquarters in Irvine a few years back with my350z.com. The accident happened a day before the SEMA convention and the entire time I was working the event my mind was on my car.

Guys thanks for the reply and Mike for chiming in also.........Thanks

Comment

Man that *****! I cannot believe a body shop would do that to such a sweet car. My father works in a very high end body shop and they have this clear film they spray on any part of the car that is not being worked on. This film keeps over spray off the undamage area of the car while it's in the shop. Just before delivery the car is hand washed and the film is removed via pressure washer.

I hope the clay bar works for you.

Rasky
                    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

^^ Thanks Rasky I was desperate to find a shop after the accident and someone recommended this shop to me. I will def not be back for business ever again nor allow anyone I know to do so also.

Comment

FYI....I have a 350Z in my Need For Speed "Pro Street" garage that looks a LOT like yours.
                        Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
                          FYI....I have a 350Z in my Need For Speed "Pro Street" garage that looks a LOT like yours.
                          lol

Comment

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
                            LOL I also do and on Forza I replicated my Z the best I could also with the same INGS rear and sides.

Comment

^^^^NICE!

I have yet to play that one but I have heard nothing but good about it....I have a PS3 and don't think it's availible.
                              Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');