• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

detailing questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• detailing questions

1st question: okay first question is would it be okay if i just clay bared my car and just put on a coat of #26 wax or NXT witout polishing. my car is still pretty new always been kept in garage and always been washed wit meguiar Deep crystal and also it is silver so you cant see the scratches.

2nd question: my 2nd question is about the process of polishing. i have been reading people process of polishing and i was wondering if its require to use #81 after using 82 or 83. or using 82 after 83???.

i am going to detail my mom's SUV and its never been detailed. her suv is a dark green color got swirls mark but not that bad. its only been wax 2 times wit some cheap wax. i will first wash and claybar it. then use #82 and top it off wit NXt and maybe another coat of #26 if i have enough.

3rd question: when i buy my PC should i buy more than 1 set of polishing pads??? and also what should i do to keep them clean. and is it better to apply by hand and buff out wit the PC or apply wit PC and wipe off wit a MF towel??/

thanks ahead for the answers.
    j0hn

Question 1... Yes you can just clay then wax but make sure you wash the car before and after you clay then move on to the wax. You will get deeper better looking shine with the polishing step.

Question 2... No the numbering to meguiars products has no significance to the order the products need to be used. The numbers are a part number.

Question 3... I have two sets of pads for my pc, keep some extras around should one get damage in the middle of a detail or what ever. Meguiars says not to wash the pads but many of us have, I use some dawn dish soap in the sink with warm water, let the soak for 10 min then rinse. Works very well and never had any problems with the pads.

good luck hope this helps!
    Last edited by gb387; Jul 31, 2004, 05:14 PM.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Just to give you an idea of what a full detail on the outside might include, this is my current line up....

1. Wash, with Meguiars Gold Class soap
      2. Clay Bar, with meguiars clay bar and Quik Detailer
      3. Wash again, with Meguiars Gold Class soap
      4. Clean with Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner aka DC#1
      5. Polish with Meguiars #81 Hand Polish
      6. Wax with NXT Wax, 2 coats.
      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

thanks for the advice. just wondernig does it matter what kind of soap i use??? and im planning to use mothers or magic clay bar. i read in other forum the meguiar clay is hard to use.
        j0hn

Comment

meguiars clay hard to use ???????

ask the person who wrote that,if he had actually used it himself!!

it's not hard to use,but maybe he didn't lubricate enough,or with wrong products.

i use it on every car i detail,and it's NEVER hard to use.

sorry for shouting,but i discovered that a lot of people have opinions about products they have never used,and this is creating ghost story's.i don't think that's fair.

i'm now on this stage:
          meg's products perform good,no matter what product you use,
          if it's not giving you the results you were looking for,then there could be only 2 possibility's
          1) you didn't use it properly,or
          2) you didn't use the right product for the job.

i got rid of every non meguiars product,and believe me,my garage was filled with a lot of detailing stuff,and now i only use megs products,and i'm very satisfied.

just my opinion,

bye
          Rick

Comment

well i acutally meant that meguiar clay is hard so its harder to shape. and people on autopia said they perfer mothers or magic clay because they clay is more soft.
            j0hn

Comment

Clay

Hey John,

The only difference, that I see is that clay magic sticks to your hand more making it harder to drop, Mother's get's kinda slick, and I personally have'nt tried,"and I know this is hard to believe" Meg's quick clay. But don't worry I will be using it next time as I am a true believer in Meg's products.

Hope this helps.

Andy

By the way, I did'nt like the lube that clay magic gives you with the kit, I used Mother's QD as a lubricant.
              Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
              Andy M. Moderator

Comment

koo thanks for the advice. yeah im gonna buy both mothers and meguiar. ill see which one i like better.
                j0hn

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');