• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preferred Wax Application Method?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preferred Wax Application Method?

Let me try this again. Sorry I had to re-post.

I was just wondering how most of you guys apply your LSP.

1. Even Coat Applicator Pad by Hand

2. Hi-Tech Applicator Pad by Hand

3. Extra Large 6" Diameter Applicator Pad By Hand (Marine RV Line)

4. Finishing Pad with a G100/PC

5. 10'-11" Orbital Polisher

6. Other

Take Care!

Syd
    Even Coat Applicator Pad by Hand
    25.17%
    Hi-Tech Applicator Pad by Hand
    24.48%
    Extra Large 6" Diameter Applicator Pad By Hand (Marine RV Line)
    0.00%
    Finishing Pad with a G100/PC
    41.03%
    10'-11" Orbital Polisher
    3.79%
    Other
    5.52%
    SYDSTER

Re: Preferred Wax Application Method?

I prefer the G100, but I have been using the hand method more often of late.
    r. b.

Comment

Hello Sydster,

I use even pad applicators by hand.
      I first apply DC 2. what type of applicator would be best as it needs to be worked in ?
      I then apply GC liquid wax it's ok by hand.

Thanks

Comment

Since my recent purchase of a G100, I have been using it to apply wax rather than doing it by hand. Before the G100 I used an orbital buffer. It goes a lot quicker, is less work and puts a more even coat of wax on the paint IMO. I also prefer the 6" or 6.5" size since it seems to work better on the contours of a vehicle when you get away from the big flat surfaces like the hood, trunk and roof.

Comment

PC7424 aka G100!
          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

If it is a full blown all out detail, taped and everything, I use the PC w/finishing pad. For a routine wash and wax, I apply by hand with Hi Tech Foam applicator then PC off with bonnet.

I have one vehicle that if I need to do ColorX, I apply with PC w/polishing pad. The Equinox I can machine apply w/o taping, the Saturn I cannot. Always remove with machine though.

Comment

With the exception of M66, by hand with a Hi Tech Pad.

Comment

Both #26 Paste and #21 by hand with Hi-Tech applicator pad. Call me old fashioned but it gives me a sense of safety, control and accuracy.
                Most other polishes applied by machine.
                The Best Last Step, is the step backwards you take to admire your work!
                Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                If you use #7 on your car, you're not in good company... you're in GREAT company!

Comment

For the folks that are into the "two coats to insure complete coverage"... applying the first coat with a PC, and applying the second coat by hand is an excellent process.
                  Boss_429

Comment

I don't have a machine, so I'm forced to "prefer" the hand method, using Meguiars foam pads. Not sure what they are called though heh
                    --2004 Ford Mustang V6 -- Full mod list and some pictures at my SouthFloridaStangs Vehicle Garage --

Comment

Finishing pad on the PC makes it so easy. screw those little foam pads takes too long! haha.
                      02 Ford F250 Super Duty
                      International T444E 7.3L Diesel
                      Not exactly stock...laundry list of mods.
                      Straight Piped
                      PHP FU chip

Comment

I like the time saved with the PC, plus it gives a nice thin coat and easier to remove.

Comment

Originally posted by mbmont View Post
                          I like the time saved with the PC, plus it gives a nice thin coat and easier to remove.
                          Hmmm....I can't say the same myself.

Whenever I apply a LSP with a G100 it tends to take forever to dry.

However, it dries much faster when applied with a Hi-Tech hand applicator.

Go figure.
                          r. b.

Comment

Hmm... is there a chance the pad was oversaturated and not cleaned thoroughly? I don't see how once you apply a thin bead around the pad's perimeter, then "kiss the finish", spread the product out then work it in would result in difficult removal after normal 15 min dry swipe time. That's why I'm guessing too much product got saturated in the finishing pad.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy The Detailer View Post
                              Hmm... is there a chance the pad was oversaturated and not cleaned thoroughly? I don't see how once you apply a thin bead around the pad's perimeter, then "kiss the finish", spread the product out then work it in would result in difficult removal after normal 15 min dry swipe time. That's why I'm guessing too much product got saturated in the finishing pad.
                              Not to my knowledge.

I only apply a thin bead (as you mentioned above) around the perimeter of the pad.

The W-9006 pads do tend to get a bit gummy feeling after so many detailings and they are hard to clean, as the LSP's tend to dry (on the pads) differently than the cleaners do.

Maybe I should press or wring the pad into a clean terry towel before storing it away for the next job?
                              r. b.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');