Have you been always using Meguiar's and why? - Page 5

View Poll Results: Always been using Meguiar's - why?

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3M

28 15.64%
  • Black Magic

22 12.29%
  • Eagle One

25 13.97%
  • Klasse

16 8.94%
  • Menzerna

17 9.50%
  • Mothers

42 23.46%
  • Optimum

16 8.94%
  • Turtle

36 20.11%
  • Wolfgang

6 3.35%
  • Zaino

9 5.03%
  • Zymol

17 9.50%
  • Other (Please Describe)

39 21.79%
  • None. I have always been a Meguiar's devotee

74 41.34%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Have you been always using Meguiar's and why?

Registered Member

Re: Have you been always using Meguiar's and why?

About 15 years ago (1994) I was introduced to a product named Dri Wash 'n Guard. At the time I thought it was amazing as I had never seen a car shined before anyway. I was told by the various distributors that it was superior to everything, that companies like Meguiar's were sub-par and much more costly and having been around for so long were old school, yadd yadda.

Well one day I went looking for something easier to use. This is an important point! I did not know how good of a shine I was missing out on... I was just tired of the effort it takes to apply and remove Dri Wash 'n Guard.

I stumbled across Mike Phillips 5 step technique. I checked the prices of Mequiar's products and found them to be much cheaper than what I was spending. I thought I would give it a try with his instructions being so exact and all and how maintaince would be easier.

I was shocked! Just using Mike Phillips technique on my car (around 2006 on a Cadillac Deville DHS) was shinier than Dri Wash 'n Guard and I had not even applied M21 yet! I was thrilled and a bit miffed at all those muti-level marketing souls robbing me of greater happiness for the last 15 years!

Now it is easier to get my car looking wonderful. It is extremely slick with m21 applied such that my wife commented on how she likes the feel of the paint. I am very pleased with how Mequiars takes the time to educate us on technique and also makes a great product as well.

I voted 'others'

Years ago I used to use Autoglym,untill I discovered Meguiar's.

Meguiar's only started getting popular in europe,about 8 years ago.

I think Autoglym is probably more well known in europe still today.

Anyway,I stick with Meg's,only substituting when there is something that I can't get a hold of.

I used to use ICE for waxing, BM titanium on tires, A2Z on wheels, and TW platinum + sponge for washing, and a ride on the freeway to dry it off(hey, it's better than inducing more swirls) then instant detailer for the rest of the water.

Look at me now. Using lambswool, 2 buckets, 3 water magnets(so far), multiple wheel brushes, over 2 dozen MFs(not for paint use), a dozen supreme shines, about a dozen foam hand applicators, 4 round and 2 rectangle even coats, and a G110 and 4 2.0 pads.
    I wash EVERYTHING after every use, sometimes even the stuff I didn't use.

I also have about everything from consumer line except scratchX 2.0, swirlX, hot shine gel, 2 step leather care, odor eliminator, quik out, NXT glass, Hot rims chrome, hot shine chrome, and quik wax.

All d-line and mirror glaze I have is APC+, 105, 205, M40, M02.

I'd say Mike Phillips' 2 bucket video really got me into proper detailing.
    So I became a completely obsessive detailer/meg's user in less then half a year.
    Daily - 09 Chevrolet Colorado - Techno gray metallic
    baby - 92 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - aged, yellowed, white.

Registered Member speed3blackmica's Avatar

i use meguiars because its the only thing that works ! everytime i try another companys product, i think it works great, until i try the same product for meguiars, it works 10 times better !

Registered Member

I must admit that I've used other products like mother's, 3M, car brite, farecla and, more recently, poorboy's but I keep coming back to meg.

Registered Member

my dad and i keep a wide array of the products we use, the main being meguiars. nobody can beat the quality of meguiars, not even mothers with chip's endorsements. armor all has always been the "bargain" brand, look they dont even offer a real wax. black magic is just plain weird, and some of their marketing campaigns are foohy. meguiars offers support, a vital thing in todays world of do it yourselfers, giving them the edge over mothers, plus mothers bases most of their products off of carnauba, which doesnt appeal to everyone. so, meguiars is #1 overall to me, although we keep a variety.

Registered Member

I also use ICE for waxing. I think it is good to do it. I find it nICE.

I got the car and my wife threatened me. Don't remember if she said, "you paid that much for a car...take care of it" or "take care of it...or I'll drive it". I think the later scared me. So I Google'd car care and went to Meguiar's and filled out the questionnaire that provides car care information based on your specific car, your level of concern for the finish and local environmental conditions. Got great information and applied (ha..a pun) it to the car. Joined the forum, went to California and took a class (thanks Mike) and have been using Meguiar's since and relying on this great forum for continued guidance and direction. The car shines and I'll catch those elusive swirls any day now as soon as I master the techniques and products. Or at least complete my apprenticeship.

Of course I've applied some of that information and products to her car too
    Between the threats and the pleading, "...oh do my car too.." what was I to do?

Thanks Meguiar's, at least she ain't driving MY car.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    David

I am 79 years old. I don't remember which brand I started with. It was probably Simoniz. In the last 20 or so years I have used Mothers and Megs. I used all the Mothers carnauba wax so I bought some DC1, 2 and 3.I stil have some Mothers Paint Cleaner and Glaze but it is nearly 10 years old now. The Megs' is newer.

Meguiar's Nutty detailer STRIFE's Avatar

I've used Turtle waxes, Mothers, and Meguiars....lots of my car friends swear by Zaino, I think I will be 100% Megs once I use up my 6 bottles of Mothers Showtime detailer & 2 bottles of Mothers FX spray wax.
    I like a lot of the diffrent Meguiars lines....good prices too.
    "STRIFE" aka Phil
    2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (IP/ aka White) the Toy
    2011 Subaru Impreza (SWP/ aka White) the DD
    2017 Subaru Forester (CWP/ aka White) Wifey's

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information