• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small review of the G220EU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small review of the G220EU

As one of the moderators of the Dutch Meguiar's forum, I got the chance to get my hands on a G220EU to do a little review on it. Didn't test it on a car yet, but on a bonnet we got from the wreckers yard.
    As you may or may not know, we didn't have a dedicated polishing machine over here in Europe as you do in the states. We used machines that were dual action sanding machines due to the lack of something better. To get a G100 over here and buy a converter would mean a lot more costs. So machines like the AEG 460EXE and Metabo SXE450 are used a lot, in The Netherlands at least.

My personal opinion on the G220? A great machine! Is easy to handle, lightweight (the metabo weighs 3,1 kgs, the G220 2,5 kgs). Due to the US sizes of the velcro and the European metric system, we had a lot of trouble fitting the pads to the various machines. That is a problem which no longer exists now the G220 is here!

A few things that bug me though.... the case which comes with the G220EU is not very useful, to get the machine back in the case, you have to disassemble the machine again, not very handy. If you use it once in a while, this shouldn't be a problem, but for frequent use..... The handle that comes with the G220 vibrates more than the machine itself, tried using it without the handle worked better, but you than don't have much grip on the machine, turning the handle 90 degrees to the front worked better for me at least.
    The price.... 249,- euro in The Netherlands (is about 366 USD ...) is a bit expensive, the AEG and metabo retail for about 221 USD over here.

The real test is when we use it for a full detail, but with the holiday season here and the weather overhere we'll have to wait a little longer

After this we can really give this machine the review it needs I'll get back on this as soon as possible if you guys find it useful!
    Last edited by Stimpy68; Dec 29, 2007, 09:29 AM.

Re: Small review of the G220EU

Thanks for the mini-review...

Feel free to post the link to the Meguiar's Dutch forum you post to also...

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

We're in the process of making a full review of the G220 for the dutch forum, when it is finished I will post the link to it, but don't know if you can understand Dutch!

Comment

i have had mine here in the uk for a week now, and can say it is a fantastic machine but can also echo the problems, as mentioned namely:

1) The case is great but you have to disassemble the backing plate to use the case

2) I have found with the handle i put too much pressue on and so have removed it all together now.

Comment

I got a cyclo a few years ago, made for my country and now I have a rotary(cost about 60€) also, so I really don't even consider buying a G220 or PC or G100 anymore. I recommend a Cyclo or a copy of it (which costs only about 30€ here now) and it's even better because you can control the speed on it also.

Comment

I have a cheap rotary too, but I'm not very happy with it, slows down when applying pressure to it, so there is a better one coming soon!
            The cyclo isn't available here in The Netherlands. I don't know the voltage in the UK, but over here it is 230 Volt, so if it is 110 the cyclo isn't an option either.

Comment

I was there with Stimpy with the test of the G220 and I also must say: a very good machine. But that case.... I cannot believe it got aproved. It isn't very easy to assemble the backingplate and then you have to take it off if you want it back in the case

Ever thought of a bag like the non-official duffle bag.
              We had one there and it fitted perfectly with the handle and the backingplate assembled! And you can add a few pads/products as well.

Maybe it's something to consider?

Comment

Originally posted by dotnetdave View Post
                i have had mine here in the uk for a week now, and can say it is a fantastic machine but can also echo the problems, as mentioned namely:

1) The case is great but you have to disassemble the backing plate to use the case

2) I have found with the handle i put too much pressue on and so have removed it all together now.
                Have you tried to handle when it faces the front of the machine instead of straight up?

Comment

Originally posted by Stimpy68 View Post
                  We're in the process of making a full review of the G220 for the dutch forum, when it is finished I will post the link to it, but don't know if you can understand Dutch!
                  Lol. I certainly can't! You have excellent English though!
                  Lydia's Mobile Detailing
                  Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
                  2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Originally posted by Lydia View Post
                    Lol. I certainly can't! You have excellent English though!
                    Thanks for the compliment! I'm an IT engineer, all the courses, exams and so on are in English, so English is sort of a second language for me Most Dutch speak and understand English.

Comment

Originally posted by Dibbuz View Post
                      Have you tried to handle when it faces the front of the machine instead of straight up?
                      Thanks Dibbuz, for helping with the review, now all we need is a car and a location!

Without the handle it worked great, but there was little grip, on a flat surface this shouldn't be a problem, but working on sidepanels it could be a problem:

With the handle this way, it worked better, have to test it on a full detail though:

This is one of the machines we normally use here, a dual action sanding machine:

Comment

not yet but will do, only just got back from been away for new year

Comment

Can't wait to see the full review, remember to post pictures!

Comment

This sunday, we're going to do an Audi A2 which paint finish is in a bad state... so a perfect chance to let the G220 do it's magic!

Comment

But that case.... I cannot believe it got approved.
                              Think it was one of those, "Hind sight is 20/20" things...

Ever thought of a bag like the non-official duffel bag.
                              Last meeting on this tool we attended both of these subjects came up, the fact that you can't place the tool back into the case without disassembling it and switching to a duffel bag in the future.

Don't know the status but public feedback like what has been posted here usually gets read and paid attention to.

Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');