• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about detailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about detailing

I've got very light swirls in my paint. I've used the Tropi-Care products and I'm not at all happy. I normally used Meguiars but tried something new and not happy about it. I'll be sticking to the good stuff from now on. Which products would you recommend. I tried the original NXT and didn't care for it when it came time for the removal cuz it seemed to smear everywhere. My truck is a beige color and the wife's is dark green....if that matters. There's just so many products from Meguiars I don't know where to start I've normally used the Deep Crystal stuff and always been happy with the results and ease of clean-up. I don't have the new model dual action but I've got the older one from Meguiars that I purchased about a year ago.

Re: Question about detailing

Was it cold when you applied NXT? liquid or paste? I've used both NXT 1 & 2 liquid, applying thin coats, and never had smearing with a clean MF. Also, NXT has limited ability in getting rid of swirls, you would need a dedicated swirl remover like ScratchX or #9 by hand, and #80 by PC, although some have used it by hand.

Comment

No it was during the summer time that I used the NXT but I wasn't using it to remove swirls, just checking out the product. Is it possible I didn't let it dry long enough?

Comment

What's the difference in the proffessional products?

Comment

PS, it doesn't matter if you don't have the new pc, if you have either the g100, 7424, 7336 and the 8006 polishing pad all you need is #80 and off you go to a swirl free finish. If that doesn't quite do it then get some #83 with a new pad and go over your car, and finish your work with #80. Then top everything with #7 and then NXT 2.

Comment

Originally posted by chvyeter View Post
            What's the difference in the proffessional products?
            Their ability to be used with a rotary.

Comment

Originally posted by chvyeter View Post
              No it was during the summer time that I used the NXT but I wasn't using it to remove swirls, just checking out the product. Is it possible I didn't let it dry long enough?
              Typical cure time to wipe is about 15 mins. Always apply a very thin coat.

Comment

After using NXT should I put a wax over top?

Comment

NXT is a wax, full name NXT Tech Wax. So this would your final step.

Comment

What's this #80 you and everyone's talking about I'm guessing a polish? #7 is throwing me for a loop too. I tried looking on the site for the product.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy The Detailer View Post
                      Their ability to be used with a rotary.

Just to chime in here...

No...not exactly. While the vast majority are geared toward the professional arena where most would use a rotary polisher, there are other differences other than their ability to be used with a rotary. So while the majority can be used with the rotary in the professional series, not all can. Moreover, there are many other differences including the types of diminishing abrasives, a "wet product", etc etc that separates these products from the consumer line; hence my post to prevent misinformation or false generalizations from getting started.

Second, streaking often occurs when a product is:

1. Applied too thick. Apply a very thin coat as that is all that is needed. Too thick of product combined with high humidity etc can cause problems.

2. Not allowing the product to dry before wiping off. Just to correct...NXT does not cure after 15 minutes. It should dry enough within the 15 min to be wiped off. It will take approx. 12 hours for the product to cure before other products, or even water should touch the finish.

3. Leaving a product on too long before removal is just as bad as not leaving it on long enough. This too can cause streaking. This is why we at Meguiar's Online recommend that you use the Swipe Test to see whether the product is dry enough to remove.

I just wanted to clarify the above in order to prevent confusion for new members.

Tim
                      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

#80 and #83 are both cleaner/polishes #83 being the more aggresive and both remove swirls, oxidation and paint defects. #7 is a standalone polish aka show car glaze.

Comment

#80 and #83 are both cleaner/polishes #83 being the more aggresive and both remove swirls, oxidation and paint defects. #7 is a standalone polish aka show car glaze.
                          Again, not quite....

Meguiar's M80 Speed Glaze is a cleaner/polish but it also contains a paintable polymer making it totally unique. It was designed for body shops to remove swirls on new paint, but at the same time providing some protection until the paint fully cures, generally 60-90 days.

M83 and M80 are also very different in the types of diminishing abrasives used as well as the wetness of the product. M80 has a much longer working time so learning to use a rotary, this product would be ideal. Moreover, M80 also contains a rich dose of TS oils, more so than M83.

Meguiar's M07 Show Car Glaze is a Pure Polish, and contains the richest amounts of TS oils. It does not contain any ingredient with the intended purpose of cleaning the paint.

Tim

Comment

Correct Tim, I gave a simple answer as typing from a cell phone doesn't allow me longer responses and the "cure to wipe", was in other words its drying time, "cure" to wipe.

Comment

Correct Tim, I gave a simple answer as typing from a cell phone doesn't allow me longer responses and the "cure to wipe", was in other words its drying time, "cure" to wipe.
                              That is why I chimed in...

The internet is a wonderful place, but a simple mis-typed word or expression can lead to misinformation being spread. We at Meguiar's try very hard to make sure that the information that is being presented here on MOL is as accurate as possible in order to avoid confusion, especially for new members.

Mike and I often chime in on threads just to make sure that information is accurate as at the end of the day, we are the ones accountable.

Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');