• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M66 vs. Color-X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M66 vs. Color-X

I've always liked M66 in removing micromarring after polishing. I have a black lexus and always get micromarring after I use a polish such as M80 or other brands. I understand that Color-X is a milder version of M66 from what I've read on this forum.

Would it be redundant for me then to purchase Color-X? The reason for this is I may be using too strong of a cleaner wax in M66 if all I want to do is remove micromarring in some areas of my car.

Does frequent use of M66 (say once a month) take a lot from my clear? Does M66 contain diminishing abrasives or is it more of a chemical cleaner?

If Color-X works for something I want to accomplish (i.e. removing micromarring), would I be justified in buying Color-X or is M66 ok?

I just don't want to have 2 products that in my knowledge do the same thing. Or do they? If I have M66, what place does Color-X have in my arsenal?

Thanks.

Re: M66 vs. Color-X

Originally posted by jremitio View Post
    I have a black lexus and always get micromarring after I use a polish such as M80 or other brands.
    While my comment doesn't really address your question, here it is.
    I use #80 a lot with the PC and a polishing pad.
    It leaves the finish ready for wax with no further polishing needed.
    I have used it on Honda, Ford, GM, Saturn (GM?) paint with no micromarring. Black, Black Sapphire, Red, White, Silver, Gold all finish nicely. I have not used it on a Lexus so I can't address any paint issues with that make.

The point being, could it be something in your process or equipment that is causing the marring? IMO, #80 is very used friendly.
    Charles
    The Rainmaker

Comment

Well, some paints are either extremely hard or extremely soft and both will be susceptible to micromarring. Personally, I had one case where a '03 Denali and #80 produced some micromarring due to the extremely hard paint.

ColorX and #66 are very similar with #66 being a touch more aggressive. Also, #66 can be used with a rotary while ColorX can not - that's the biggest difference.

I do have one question: Why do you have to use a cleaner wax every month? Swirls should not be appearing that fast unless something is scratching it in the wash process or somewhere else.
      Chris
      Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Could try #6 its less aggressive than #66
        AeroCleanse, LLC
        Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
        www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

I don't use M66 every month. My question was primarily geared towards finding out if M66 is aggressive enough not to be used monthly. I use M66 once every quarter just to do a one step cleaning and polishing. If swirls are more severe, I use a dedicated polish.

Regarding the black lexus paint, I'm pretty certain it's not my technique. I have a red Denali and when I use M80 or other brand of polishes, it finishes off nicely, ready for my LSP of choice. Or maybe dealing with soft black Lexus paint, I need a better technique.

Comment

#6 is the most agressive cleaner/wax.

M66/ColorX would be fine to use monthly. And if you are just waxing really, you wont be working in the product as much anyway.

Mike has mentioned that while #9/#82 could be an option for a milder polish to remove the micromarring, the wax in a cleaner/wax also acts as extra lubrication to prevent micromarring when applying or removing.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Just to chime in, #66 is the most agressive cleaner wax Meguiars sells, more so than #6. It has the same abrasive scale as does #80.

Having said that, I cannot get my black Grand Prix to finish without Micro-marring with #80 and I've see this happen on other black paints I've worked on as well. I've used this with the rotary, and PC and worked it everyway possible, but it still has that haze. I used to use #82 with a tan Finishing pad and that worked pretty well to remove it. Recently I've gone to #66 or PolySeal which is similar to #66 with a finishing pad and the finish looks flawless for my last polishing step before my LSP.

Hope that helps,
              Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                I just confirmed with Mike Pennington that #6 is more aggressive than ColorX. In order of the least aggressive to the most aggressive, (assuming all things are equal),

* Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax (Consumer Line - Maroon bottle)
                * M20 Polymer Sealant
                * ColorX
                * #6 Cleaner/Wax
                * #66 Quick Detailer
                Yup, #66 is more aggressive than #6 and ColorX.
                Chris
                Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

hmm. . could swear I read the reverse somewhere, but oh well...

I've been known to be wrong on occaision..... but just this one...
                  2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

IMHO the black Lexus uses has no clear coat on it so the process/results are different.
                    Death Before Dishonor

Comment

Originally posted by stealth View Post
                      IMHO the black Lexus uses has no clear coat on it so the process/results are different.
                      Well, a good way to find out, if you can take a cleaner polish and remove some pigment from the paint onto your applicator or towel, then it's most likely single stage paint, if not, then it's bc/cc.

Doing a small section with the polish/pad and inspecting with the light or sunlight after each step is the best method to achive the results you desire. From my experience, all paints are different. What works one one may not work on another.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by jremitio View Post
                        I've always liked M66 in removing micromarring after polishing. I have a black lexus and always get micromarring after I use a polish such as M80 or other brands. I understand that Color-X is a milder version of M66 from what I've read on this forum.

Would it be redundant for me then to purchase Color-X? The reason for this is I may be using too strong of a cleaner wax in M66 if all I want to do is remove micromarring in some areas of my car.

Does frequent use of M66 (say once a month) take a lot from my clear? Does M66 contain diminishing abrasives or is it more of a chemical cleaner?

If Color-X works for something I want to accomplish (i.e. removing micromarring), would I be justified in buying Color-X or is M66 ok?

I just don't want to have 2 products that in my knowledge do the same thing. Or do they? If I have M66, what place does Color-X have in my arsenal?

Thanks.

Jremito,

I have had the same problem with #80, I have had equally good results with using the #80 on a 9006 pad and color X on a 9006 pad.

Matt

Comment

Matt,

I just read your post. Congrats on your success. I'll try it out myself this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');