• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sequence of products with a rotary...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sequence of products with a rotary...

I got a Makita 9227 for Christmas. I spent A LOT of time reading threads on the rotary last night. I specifically was reading where many people here advise using a product like 83 with the rotary, then following that with 80 via the PC in order to get rid of any swirls/holograms the rotary may have left behind. I completely understand the part about the PC buffing in a dual action manner versus the rotary operating in a direct circular manner, and it all made sense about following the rotary with the PC.

My question is that if I am detailing a car, and am a little tight on time, is the 66 via the PC and a polishing pad just as effective as the 80 at removing any light swirls/holograms that the rotary may leave behind (from what I have read, the 66 has a little less cut than the 80)? I understand that there are some uncontrollable variables like paint hardness, and other environmental conditions that make it hard to just give a blanket yes or no answer about the 66 being as effective as the 80, but I am just curious if 83 via the rotary, followed by 66 via the PC is a good combo?

It would be nice to be able to do a 2 step machine sequence, and be through with both the polishing and protection phases. This would be nice because I could drive the car after this, then apply something like NXT 2.0 after the next wash, when I have more time.

Re: Sequence of products with a rotary...

It is a fine combo... As you say, it would be the paint that determines if any defects would be left.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Just a thought... You can also try #66 on the rotary with a finishing pad. #80 also works very well with a finishing pad. If the swirls are deeper, you can always change to a polishing pad.

On most of my details, I will do the paint correction with the Makita and then apply the protectant with the PC. It seems to go faster.
      Chris
      Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
        It is a fine combo... As you say, it would be the paint that determines if any defects would be left.
        This is correct, whether or not either M80 or M66 can remove the swirls left by any previous product will depend upon the paint itself assuming you're using good technique with the DA polisher.

This is why before starting on a car, do a test spot with your products and process of choice and make sure you process can make one small area meet your expectations before going over the entire car.

Once you dial-in your test spot, then duplicate it over the entire car.

Guarantee your success ahead of time.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hunt down the videos on Youtube.com where they showed some techniques for using a rotary.
          AeroCleanse, LLC
          Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
          www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');