• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2006 350z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 350z

I have a couple minor problems with my paint.

1) Over the summer, i didn't have any Scratch X and cheaped out using turtle wax rubbing compound on some road grime that had adhered to my paint. Now, when i look at the locations (on the hood) where i used it (it appears in certain light / glare) it appears cloudy and somewhat dull. Would claying pull this out, or would the proper application of Scratch X?

2) I have water spots on my roof. I've read the article on their removal. I'm not 100% sure of their type, but i plan to remove them regardless. The DIY article mentions using Scratch X by hand, but i couldn't determine if I could use my PC + Scratch X. Or would I use something like #80 and the PC?

This forum has been great to read the last few days. Wish i would have come here after purchasing my car.

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: 2006 350z

Yes, at the very least I would apply Scratch-X with the PC/8006 pad. It should work great, I recently used it after #83 to fine clean any cloudiness and it was a brilliant pre-LSP step. If you find that insufficient, step up to #80.

Comment

Great, thanks for the quick response Jimmy.

Comment

Glad to help kahuba!

Comment

that turtle stuff is kinda harsh- Ive had similar problems as yourself
          Luck is probability taken personally!

Comment

Originally posted by kahuba View Post
            I have a couple minor problems with my paint.

1) Over the summer, i didn't have any Scratch X and cheaped out using turtle wax rubbing compound on some road grime that had adhered to my paint. Now, when i look at the locations (on the hood) where i used it (it appears in certain light / glare) it appears cloudy and somewhat dull. Would claying pull this out, or would the proper application of Scratch X?
            Just to make sure the point is made, build up is not a flaw in the paint, it is a bonded contaminant. Clay is used for that. Scratches and marring, such as the haze you see from the turtle compound, are flaws in the paint. Use scratch X and the like to remove those. Make sure to work the chemicals until you're positive they're done breaking down.

If you have not done a full body claying on your car, I strongly suggest you try it on. Feel with the back of your hand the surface of your car. If it is not perfectly as smooth as glass, clay. It really is some fun and easy stuff. I had my whole family out touching my car the day I clayed! I thought the paint was smooth already!

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');