• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets talk pneumatic wet sanding...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets talk pneumatic wet sanding...

Yes, all this time, I have been wet sanding by hand

I'm looking to get into pneumatic wet sanding, and need some guidance. Some of you guys are pro's on here, and I need to be lead into the right direction. Just FYI, i have an old Mustang hood(red in color) that I will be using to practice.

First off, I hear the Mirka's are a good brand of sander. Is this correct? I'm not afraid to spend the money(within reason). I like having the best equiptment that I can afford. And this seems to be the product of choice.

What else am I going to need, besides the obvious, compressor and air hose(I knew Joe would chime in with some smart remark )

Fill me in guys. I'm ready to make the jump into the 90's

Thanks,
    Nick
    2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
    2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Re: Lets talk pneumatic wet sanding...

Originally posted by n737nc View Post
    First off, I hear the Mirka's are a good brand of sander. Is this correct?
    I can not speak with authority but I hear it is among the top ones. Kevin Brown would be an authority on Mirka sanders.

Comment

I've got a Dynabrade! (didn't try it yet)

Groeten Peter

Comment

Here's a good thread:

Chris
        Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post

Thanks!
          I've already got the compressor thing down. This would only be for wet sanding, not a polisher(I own 5 G100's ).

I'm mainly looking at what air DA is the best I can buy, and maybe someone to point me in the right direction for education on technique. I've wet sanded quite a few cars, but all have been by hand, not DA. I'm wanting to make the jump, and make my life easier when I take on these big jobs.

Between adding a pneumatic sander and the new M105, my wet sanding jobs should take me a lot less time!

Nick

Comment

We personally have a Dynabrade DA Sander and really like it, that said any name brand DA sander is a quality tool

Mirka
            Dynabrade
            Hutchison
            National Detroit

Etc.

Here's an interesting story on ND

All the tools are pretty much going to work the same way, there are differences in the throw of the backing plate with a larger throw being for rough work and a smaller throw being for finishing work. A guy could always have one of each.

The most important thing is the sand paper, both Mirka and 3M have really high quality sanding discs for this process, but keep in mind the are not interchangeable as 3M's Velcro system is reversed from the norm, so you want to choose one system or the other or you'll have to invest in multiple backing plats and interface pads.

Personally, I like the Mirka Abralon System as the sanding disk are affixed to a foam cushion backing which gives you cushion, (obviously), but it also hold water to keep the surface lubricated while sanding.

It also goes to #4000 grit and buffing out #4000 grit sanding marks is as easy as pie. Especially with our new M105 and a quality wool pad.

Here's the Drivers Side as it was being sanded down using the Abralon System, first #1000 then #2000 and the #4000 grit

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike.

What about sizes? I see a lot of manufactures making 5", 6" and some have 3"

Should I just stick with the 6" and do the rest by hand?

And the info on the pads is exactly the kind of info that I'm looking for!

Nick

Comment

The diameter across the back of the Mirka sanding disk measures 5 3/4" and the Mirka backing plate we ordered fits just inside of disc when you apply it to the backing plate.

Can't look up the part numbers right now but as long as you stay inside one company's system everything should be compatible and fit.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');