• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Driver Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Driver Problems

Wanted to know how MOL members would handle the issue of the daily driver...

Car gets detailed...then off to work and the car is outside for 5 days a week and gets pelted with the sprinklers/road grime/dust...do you let it sit undisturbed until the weekend? The best thing is obviously a full car wash, but it's 7-8pm everynight you get home. Should you QD and UQD the car or should you just wait until you can clean the car properly?

Right now, I'm just allowing for it all to sit on my car until the weekend because I'd rather not inadvertantly scratch the car...I've also come into the sprinkler + dust off the 5 FWY + sun = baked MUD trouble...oi vey...

Thanks,Mike

Re: Daily Driver Problems

What you're doing is about as good as it gets. Best I can seem to do is park away from other cars, trees and sprinklers during the day. When it rains during the weekend, when I usually have time to wash, it just has to wait a week longer. Having the surface prepped and waxed helps but it still drives me nuts sometimes.

Mort

Comment

There's always the car cover option...
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

If you cant QD or UQD every day, then I would just wash every week/week and a half. And honestly, even if you can QD every day, if you work in an area beside heavy industry, or train tracks, QD still might not be lubricating enough to be considered safe.

Really, a week of dust isnt bad, its when the water hits it that it starts loking bad. Your major concern would be if the sprinklers were using hard water. Baking hard water into your finish isnt going to look nice either.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I agree with Murr1525

I usually wash my car once a week put it all depends, if the surface has lots of dust I usually wash 2 times in that week.

It's not that bad, just pray water doesn't hit

Comment

It really depends on what contaminants get on the car. Just dust can wait a week but if you get bird droppings, get those suckers off right away with a QD. Those will leave etch marks on the paint. If you live in an area with hard water you will not want water spots to dry and bake on your car. They will be very difficult to get off.

My wife drove my Z right after we purchased it and went to the store. The sprinklers went off and were facing in the wrong direction and got all over the car. She proceeded to go into the store, do her shopping and wipe off the car when she got home. Needless to say the water dried on the car and she could not get it off. I tried several things and could not remove them either. Luckly, I was going to the Monterey Historics the next day and knew Meguiars is usually there. I talked to them about my problem and purchased some clear coat body wash (which they don't make anymore) and everything came off. It required 2 applications but it has been fine since. That is the major incident that caused me to become a Meguiars believer and start using more of their products.

So, it really does depend on what's on your car. Another thing I use is a California duster. If all thats on the car is dust this will take it off without scratching and you can then use QD for any spots needing immediate attention.

Comment

the funny thing about this conversation is that 95% of society doesn't wash more than a couple times a month.

I guess what i am saying is, what you are doing is more than enough. My attitude is Daily drivers will get dirty, just wash it once a week and don't worry about the in between time.

I live in Colorado, and in the winter it is rarely warm enough to wash. the daily driven cars have salt on them for a month at a time. that's life

-nick
              Luck is probability taken personally!

Comment

buy one of them protective car bubbles and bring it to work with you..... people would think ur crazy..... but hey at least ur car is safe from the elements......

Comment

I have to agree. The dust is not the big problem. Its the water. What you are doing is about the best you can do. Like others have said get the bad stuff off immediately. The dust wash every week or ten days. You should be fine.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

Thanks everyone. I just need reassurance I'm not crazy in worrying about it! Oh...and I guess it just gives me another excuse to keep detailing!

Comment

So long as you keep your car well maintained, you should have minimal problems removing the grime that accumulates on it. In other words, regular washings and waxings to keep your finish as pristine as it can be for a daily driver would go a long way in keeping your finish in tact and the elements at bay. In your case, weekly washings and waxings would be ideal. Because no working person in this day and age has neither the time nor the energy to wash their car daily or every other day for that matter, weekly would be the next best and probably the most feasible option. While it might not necessarily be the only thing you would worry about, yet arguably the most important in your case is the potential for water spots to occur on your paint from the sprinklers. Any kind of finish is susceptible to water spotting, however, the regularity of your washing and waxing will keep a protective layer on your paint's finish.

If nothing else, think of your situation this way: work = a dirty car while detailing = therapy from work.

Comment

Car cover + car duster.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt1Corvette View Post
                          Car cover + car duster.
                          that is what I use and yes ppl think im crazy lol. I put on when I get home and when I get to work.

Comment

Glad someone bumped this thread. Question for another daily driver with a very new Subaru:

So I drive mostly through rural areas to get to work. Main issue is bug splats. If bug splats are left on the front of the hood / mirrors for say a week or two, is that going to eat into the clear coat over time or as long as I don't let them sit there for more than a week or so (i.e. get them off of there with a proper shampoo / conditioner like Meguiar's gold and Meguiar's mitts) I'll be OK with regular wash / wax cycles?

Comment

The general rule of thumb with anything stuck to your paint is the sooner you clean it off, the better.

I don't think bug splats would etch into your clear coat, but still...

Bird droppings should be removed ASAP, as they can indeed etch into clear coat.
                              Originally posted by Blueline
                              I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');