• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell me about #66.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tell me about #66.......

Thanks Mike. It's alway good to have you chime in and secure things!

The cost per car with #66 is another plus. It's only 25.00 per GALLON!!!

Do you or anyone else have any "tips" for using #66?
    Sun friendly?

Thanks again.
    www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

Define "Sun"

You mean like the sun outside our house right now where temps are cold or do you mean the sun when you're in Arizona, in August at noon working on a black car?

See the difference?

No product works BEST on a hot surface in the sun no matter what the marketing hype claims, think about it, even if a product did work great on black paint on a hot day in the sun, wouldn't that same product work better on a cool surface in the shade?

The answer is "yes".

That said, Meguair's always recommends using paint care products on a cool surface in the shade, that's our recommendation and common sense, yet we know mobile detailers are often working on cars outside, out of cover, whenever you're working in the sun because you have no other option, simply shrink the size of your work area down.

The short answer is "Yes" you can use this product in the sun, but not on a flaming hot surface in HOT weather. And when you do have to work in the sun, shrink your work area down and as soon as the wax has dried wipe off the excess from the surface.

Get yourself a gallon and give it a try in your situation and see how you like it, we're sure it will become one of your favorite products. If not, take advantage of our guarantee, just keep your receipt.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Once again thanks. I can really appreciate the time you take in answering with such detail! I help out on a lot of other forums. I know it takes time.

I will be ordering a gallon Monday. I will keep you all posted with pics and write ups.

Justin
        www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

I have used 66 and it is a good cleaner wax and in my experiences of using it with a PC it will clean the paint and leave a nice gloss.

Comment

Better late than never.

I use Meguiars #66 quite often by rotary and orbital.

With a medium cut pad on a rotary it can REMOVE (not hide) moderate swirling on normal paint. What i find though is #66 also has alot of fillers. These filers hide the holograms produced by a light cutting pad on a rotary. So a few weeks later holograms appear. However it looks so good in the short term with so little effort its ideal for quick before sale jobs.

With a polishing pad on a rotary it will remove lights swirls and with good technique you wont get holograms. It also hides a few defects too but with the lighter pad atleast the fillers dont hide nasty holograms. Its a good one step for removing light defects.

On a random orbital (PC or UDM) buffer with a cutting pad is my prefered option. It eliminates any chance of holograms which is good because the fillers may hide the holograms so its difficult to get perfect results with a rotary as you have to wait a few weeks to see how you went. The cutting pad on the orbital removes light to moderate swirls and leaves a nice gloss and a bit of protection.

The combination of abrasives, fillers and protection is spot on. The abrasives remove the imperfects and the fillers help hide any marring produced. The added protection means that you could get away with a simple spray wax to provide excellent results in a small amount of time.

If you rush #66 you'll find that the abrasives will not have enough time to remove the defects so all you end up getting is the filler and protection aspect. This can be good for the really quick job as it hides light swirls and provides protection. For the longer job you can work it longer so the the abrasives remove the light swirls as well as hiding them.

On one high end detail i applied #66 on a finishing pad on the random orbital which provides no cut and only the filling ability. I did this because i had already removed the swirls with a multi step paint correction, so i wanted to use #66 as a wet look glaze with a bit of protection. It worked well and i then topped it with a nice carnauba paste wax. So it can also be useful on the high end details.

I personally use #66 on 99% of the cars i detail. Always with a cutting pad on a random orbital. A rotary would no doubt provide better correction but the risk of holograms and marring appearing after the fillers wash away is a bit of a turn off.

If any car requires more than light paint correction i'll quickly hit it with a rotary and menzerna powergloss and then follow up with #66 on the random orbital to remove any marring or holograms from the paint correction process.

From the recent reviews i look forward to using M105 on the rotary as it seems the perfect compound to use before #66 as it offers more cut and a better finish than my current compound.

Comment

Originally posted by Maz View Post
              Better late than never.

What i find though is #66 also has alot of fillers.
              Could you explain what you mean by the word fillers?

What are the fillers in M66?

Looking forward to your technical explanation.

Thanks ahead of time.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

On a random orbital (PC or UDM) buffer with a cutting pad is my preferred option.
                Just to note, at this time Meguiar's doesn't recommend using our cutting pad for applying chemicals with dual action polishers when working on clear coat finishes. The reason for this is because our foam cutting pad is aggressive enough that when used with a DA Polisher it can haze the paint.

If you're working on light colored cars, you probably wont' see this haze. Regardless, on this forum we don't teach people how to haze their paint, we teach them how to polish it until it's clear and beautiful.

We also don't allow members to post how-to information that goes against what Meguiar's teaches and recommends.

If you or anyone else wants to use some other company's cutting pad on a dual action polisher then before doing any polishing work please check with the manufacture of that cutting pad for their specific recommendations.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

On a random orbital (PC or UDM) buffer
                  Don't forget the G110 and for our overseas customers, the G220. This is a Meguiar's forum after all.

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                    Could you explain what you mean by the word fillers?

What are the fillers in M66?

Looking forward to your technical explanation.

Thanks ahead of time.
                    Gday Mike,

Fillers are the combination of ingrediants that when applied onto the surface hide minor swirls or atleast reduce them.

After doing an alcohol wipedown these ingredients are removed from the surface showing up the imperfections.

The best filling ingredients that i know of is aluminum silicate and is used in products such as Menzerna finishing glaze and 3M imperial glaze. Both products mention their filling ability as a key attribute.

Even polymer, carnauba and many oils have the ability to fill slightly as they are applied onto the surface. If the application of a product ends up being 10 micron thick on the surface of the paint then the product will often flow into and swirls less than 10 micron deep. By filling the swirls with a clear liquid it will not remove them but light refraction and reflection of the edges will be reduced.

I am not sure what the exact ingredients of #66 is (i'd love to find out), but it does contain ingredients that put it on the high level of "filling" ability.

By claiming a product has the ability to fill doesn't mean that the product is being slandered. Filling is a desirable attribute that some manufacturers proudly promote. It is also one of the 3 reasons why i always #66. It removes swirls, it fills swirls and it protects.

Just to note, at this time Meguiar's doesn't recommend using our cutting pad for applying chemicals with dual action polishers when working on clear coat finishes. The reason for this is because our foam cutting pad is aggressive enough that when used with a DA Polisher it can haze the paint.
                    I have heard this before and i cant understand why. Any cutting pad can introoduce haze (marring). On my aftermarket soft paint i often can severe marring from a polishing, nothing that a finishind pad and finer polish wont fix.

This haze you speak of, it obviously isn't permanent and can be removed by following up with a finer pad.

Say moderate swirls were found. Using a polishing pad you would have to go over the panel with 4 passes. However with the cutting pad you may have to go over it once and then go over it once with a polishing pad to remove the marring. But paint jobs look perfect except using the cutting pad required half as many passes.

After all we could use a finishing pad to remove heavy swirls and simply perform 100 passes on the paint.

If you could fill me in on any technical reasons why the 7006 cutting pad shouldn't be used with a random orbital it would be great.

Having used both the meguiars cutting pad and Edge yellow with excellent results with a random orbital buffer. Personally i believe that care should be taken as it is much more aggressive, however i would not go as far as saving i do not reccomend it. Not everyone has a rotary buffer to remove heavy swirls.

Maz

Comment

Gday Mike,

Fillers are the combination of ingredients that when applied onto the surface hide minor swirls or at least reduce them.
                      Any wax or paint sealant that works, that is any wax that leaves itself behind to protect the paint, (and isn't that the purpose of wax or a paint sealant, synthetic or otherwise, to leave itself behind?), is going to fill because it's coating over and bonding to the paint.

Thus any wax that works fills.

So how does anyone know except the chemist that made the product what combination of ingredients are actually staying behind on the surface?

All to often the word fillers is thrown pretty loosely and often times in a negative context. Believe it or not some people think if a wax fills that's a bad thing and that's because they don't understand that's one effect of a wax, (or paint sealant), doing it's job.

So when you post that our M66 is full of fillers,

What i find though is #66 also has alot of fillers.
                      That catches our attention because we're not sure how anyone could tell if it's a protection ingredient being left behind versus some type of filler?
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

This haze you speak of, it obviously isn't permanent and can be removed by following up with a finer pad.
                        We've addressed this point you've brought up in the past on this forum, basically someone typing the same thing you typed and here's the deal, someone with experience and a higher skill level than the average person would understand this and could correct it, but someone new to machine polishing won't be to happy if after using a cutting pad on their finish the entire finish is filled with hazing and micro-marring.

We also don't teach people how to haze their paint. We don't allow members to teach our forum community how to haze paint and at this time Meguiar's doesn't recommend using our cutting pad on a DA Polisher on clear coat paint finishes and we're not going to let our members recommend this either.

Does that make sense?

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

So how does anyone know except the chemist that made the product what combination of ingredients are actually staying behind on the surface?
                          I dont know the combination of ingredients but i do know that the filling ability is quite high.

By applying a product by hand without working it in i have found it removes the abrasive part of the product and leave only the oils, polymers, wax's to do its thing. I've compared a fair few brands of products and #66 hides swirls better than any plain carnauba wax or sealant i have come across. So if it was only protection aspect of #66 that is providing the filling then i would be extremely surprised. That would mean that Meguiars is using a protective ingredient that no other manufacturer is using as their products fill noticably less. #66 however doesn't fill as much as dedicated filler product such as 3m imperial glaze or Menzerna finishing glaze. A glaze or as Meguiars call them pure polishes often contains many ingredients that are dedicated to filling. I assume this filling is what adds wetness these produucts are known for.

This is why im fairly confident that #66 in its ingredients has something that is dedicated to filling. However i cant be sure unless i saw the ingredient list from Meguiars chemist

All to often the word fillers is thrown pretty loosely and often times in a negative context.
                          I completely agree.

Like you said most products that leave something on the surface will fill to some extent and may assist in hiding swirls. The people who mention fillers in a negative light obviously are not as knowledgable about the ingredients of products and how they work on paint.

I am in no way refering to the filling ability of #66 in a negative light.

Regarding the cutting pad i can see where you are coming from. Is it the movement of the random orbital that cuases the hazing, as i assume the cutting pad is reccomended on a rotary?

If anthing i would have thought a cutting pad on the rotary would produce more marring and potention damage that wouldn't appear with a random orbital.

If it is the movement of the random orbital that doesn't allow for certain products to break down then wouldn't it depend on what polish is used?

Also if a rotary is allowed to use a cutting pad would that mean a forced rotation orbital be allowed as well, its about half way between a random orbital and rotary.

Thanks in advance for your replied!

Comment

Man I actually forgot about this thread!
                            I'm using #66 now and like it a lot. I did an IPA wipedown after using it with my G110 and found that it removed about 90% of the light swirls! This was with a LC orange low profile 5.5 inch pad. I was very impressed. I would compare it to #80 as a polish and #26 for looks and durability. I'm getting 5+ weeks so far out of it.

When you consider the cost (20.00 a gallon) along with the protection and speed, it's one heck of a deal.
                            www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');