• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does paul dalton really really only use rotary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does paul dalton really really only use rotary?

Originally posted by radicalrev View Post
    IRSANKAO, your Indonesian too? Same here, except I'm in Los Angeles. btw, i am from Bandung too. Is meguiar's popular there??

"ga sangka Bandung ada detailer...hehe..btw Business detail di Indonesia laku gak?"
    detailing business quite ok in Indonesia, but so difficult to find good detailer in Indonesia. Irsankao is a good one
    Polishing is an art!!

Comment

I almost never use a DA anymore. I always finish down with a rotary. It's about pad, polish, pressure and speed. Get the right combo of those and there is no reason you can't finish down to perfection.

IMHO, no DA can give a finish like a rotary. The clarity is just not there.
      Dans Tech Reviews | Wii Shopper

Comment

Originally posted by danponjican View Post

Vindicated.

We've been posting this for years... you can probably find a post on Autopia dating back to 2004 or 2005 on this topic when discussing Rotary Buffer results versus DA Polisher Results.

That said some paints won't polish to a swirl free finish no matter how good you are, it has to do with the paint itself, of course you might not see this is you don't strip the finish and inspect in bright sunlight, something most detailers don't do for a host of reasons including myself.

Made a comment to this effect when questioned about it in this thread, although the work was done with a DA Polisher, the idea of checking your work with some kind of solvent wipe was brought up and we think our answer explains our thoughts on the topic in detail.

1960 Corvette - How To Restore Single Stage Acrylic Lacquer Paint

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Have you had a chance to work with Flex XC 3401 VRG?

Comment

Originally posted by michaeld0983 View Post
            detailing business quite ok in Indonesia, but so difficult to find good detailer in Indonesia. Irsankao is a good one
            Do people in Indonesia really care about the swirls or finish of their cars??? LOL....if u dun me asking "di sana 1 detail job bisa dapet brapa?"

thinking of having an internship at detailing if there is...lol

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
              I think Paul would not like M105 because you can't apply it using just the surface of your hands.
              PS: Paul Dalton now uses foam pads. :P LOL Mike was vindicated two times in one thread...
              Patrick Yu
              2003 Honda Accord
              2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Originally posted by radicalrev View Post
                Do people in Indonesia really care about the swirls or finish of their cars??? LOL....if u dun me asking "di sana 1 detail job bisa dapet brapa?"

thinking of having an internship at detailing if there is...lol
                yes or no. mostly they don't care about about swirl, but there are some people who are "car crazy people" that very concern about they car appearance.

Tergantung detail dimana, kalo di meguiar indo member 2 juta/tahun per datang bayar 200rb full detail. ya rata2 600rb keatas
                Polishing is an art!!

Comment

Man, this is SO off the mark I wouldn't even know where to begin.

I will go on record as saying this: Not true!
                  Kevin Brown
                  NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
                    Man, this is SO off the mark I wouldn't even know where to begin.

I will go on record as saying this: Not true!
                    I better go on the record for clarifying what I said, a rotary buffer will leave in most cases a more clear and glossy finish than a DA Polisher, but that doesn't always mean a swirl free finish after stripping.
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

wow, this thread grows and I don't even realize it.

Thanks to do those with links to rotary, certainly I can learn some from those.

I am probably the only detailer with DA polisher in Indonesia. I am one hell crazy detailer. I had 2 kinds of DA, I am missing flex then I have all of them.
                      I use meg mirror glaze and I had amazing result (check out my galleries, those are the most amazing transformations I have ever documented, thanks to the best, mike, I learnt from the video). All I can say I am not in detailing business, I am in the car transformation business. Is this what you call passion?

I brought up this topic so if I can grasp this skill, rotary without buffing mark on black car and then I can educate and spread the words. I can be no 1 in the country in term of skill, reputation and business of course. This is my personal ambition.

So with the something you can't control with the paint. I can easily blame the paint, cant I? How would I know if the paint isn't 'workable' to swirl/buffer mark free?

I use different combination of finishing products and pressure? I use metabo pe 12-175 with meg backing plate and I have meg polishing,finishing pad, #9, #82, #80. Thats about all the meg finishing products. Oh, I haven't mentioned this, metabo in here comes with M14 thread and I had to have someone to make a custom adaptor. The problem with this adaptor is it's not 100% precise. There is a slight, I don't know what it's called, juggling? It's like slight movement that it shouldn't be doing. As matter of fact, because of this 'juggling thinng' I used 6.5" pads, work best for this situation.

I have confessions to make. When I started over 1yr ago, I knew nothing about car detailing, buffing, compounds, etc etc...even my background has nothing to do with car. I used to be a big lurker in MOL and other big forums, you know which. But my biggest contribution to who I am today is MOL which is why I ended up using megs (I was against the popular brand at the time). I want to personally thank mike from whom I picked up lots of lots gems, I put those answers and advices to action, keyword ACTION.

I keept learning till I can do 'paint correction' to swirl free. This is my breakthrough. I love what I do and my customers love the results. January has always been the lowest turnover for most businesses in here but I am not affected. I rarely put ads, just mouth to mouth, best advertising ever.

FYI, complete exterior detail ranges from +- U$10 to +- $45 for small size car like Honda jazz/fit. I know it's crazy but do not compare $10 to $45 job, it's totally different. I charge +-45 of course which is premium service, one of those high end services. Complete detail (exterior, interior, and engine) ranges from +- U$30 +- 100 for small size car. Don't ask me why okay. It's just how things work down here.

Also most of the detailers (car salon here) don't have the knowledges as much as I have learnt. What they care most is wetlook, not swirl free, wetlook is a very vague word indeed unless you have seen swirl free finish plus high end Zy... wax. The problem is 99% of people never seen it. What I am trying to say is only a handfull of people with cars understand that the best result after detailing is the paint is completely restored to...near new sometimes even more than new without the buffer mark and swirl free before waxing. I saw too much of cars done in $10-$15 mall detailer and ended up with buffer mark all of the cars. These people need some educations.

Since I am getting lots of free information from the net and I am also adopting from mike, sharing is receiving. I share/transfer lots of knowledges I received to very popular car forum in indonesia to make them aware of what should be achieved in paint finish. I also 'preach' who to properly maintain their cars and recently I published a free ebook on how to properly wash a car and I will be releasing the first complete guide to maintain exterior, interior and engine bay for end user. I use and endorse lots of meg's products btw. Meg's end user products almost completely have no competitors here. The **** part is we pay almost twice as much for products, again don't ask my why, I am wondering why too. We earn less per job but the products cost twice as much.

Okay enough for now. Too tired to write, it's almost 3am here.

Once again thank you mike, thank you to those passionate detailers whom I admire and last but not the least thank you MOL!

Please do checkout my galleries, you will be amazed.

*Yes, I live in bandung and I am indonesian. Check out my website to see me.
                      Started back in 2006 reading Mike. P posts and practiced on customers' cars, ended up writing a book, see merawat mobil, Fast forward 2014 established toko salon mobil online (online shop) to cater for car care enthusiasts and local car detailers.

Comment

to irsankao :

"elo org di sana ambil meguair's product langsung dari mana? Ambil langsung dari U.S?"

Comment

no mames buey!
                          Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

radicalrev: Millenium group is the coutry distributor for meg's products the one's responsible for the 2x price of meg's products after all red tapes.

Pssttt, I won't give out names so you guys won't have big head :P
                            Started back in 2006 reading Mike. P posts and practiced on customers' cars, ended up writing a book, see merawat mobil, Fast forward 2014 established toko salon mobil online (online shop) to cater for car care enthusiasts and local car detailers.

Comment

Δεν μπορώ να καταλάβω ποιος όλοι λέτε.
                              Lydia's Mobile Detailing
                              Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
                              2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

millenium group?? huh..never heard of them...for example, Meg's #80, how much does it cost there??

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');