• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiar's presentation for L.A. Porsche Cub in Woodland Hills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meguiar's presentation for L.A. Porsche Cub in Woodland Hills

Today I had the good fortune to make a presentation for the L.A. Porsche Club at the Auto Gallery in Woodland Hills, CA.

The presentation consisted of explaining Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

1 Washing
    2 Cleaning and Surface Prep
    3 Polishing
    4 Protectiong
    5 Maintaining

I also explained using techniques with your hands, dual-action polishers and rotary buffers as well as explaining a little bit of information on paint types, like the differences between traditional paints like lacquers and enamels, and today clear coat finishes.

Afterwards, I performed a quick, side-by-side, before and after demonstration on the hood of a black Porsche.

Below is a *before* picture of the hood after I wiped it down with Meguiar's Quick Detailer. (which actually improved the finish)

Below is a *close-up* of the same hood,

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Next, I clayed the entire hood to remove any bonded contaminants. After that, taped-off the hood and polished only one half using Meguiar's M-8332 Dual Action Cleaner Polish using a Meguiar's W-8006 foam polishing pad, on a porter cable dual action polisher, (G-100), on the 4.5 setting.

I only spent a total of about 15 minutes applying the #83 DACP to one half of the hood. Time was short as my presentation ran long.

After removing the #83 DACP, I then applied Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax using a new, clean W-8006 polishing pad on about the 2.0 setting.

We allowed the Tech Wax to dry for 15 to 20 minutes and then I had one of the club members remove half the NXT Tech Wax to by hand to show how easy it is to wipe off and I removed the other half by machine to show Meguiar's Ultimate Bonnet, (M-9920) on a dry W-8006 foam pad.

I then walked away and asked that the car be pulled out so that members could inspect the results for themselves.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

After club members had a chance to inspect the finish, I took a few photo's to show the results,

The left side is the side we polished and waxed, the right side was taped-off.

This is a close-up, (taken from the raw photo), with the sun mostly on the Tech Wax side. Note there is no cobweb-effect on the left side.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Below is a photo with the sun directly on the before side,

And one more with the sun right on the demarcation line,

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

One small note, these photo's were all taken with a very high resolution camera. This was the first time I used this camera and I have yet to learn how to use it to it's fullest extent. I would like to point out that the above shots actually make the before side look a lot better than it did. Perhaps some of the members will chime in and describe what they saw in person.

This was a fun group of genuine enthusiasts to work with lots of interest and many questions. Each member received samples from Meguiar's including the new NXT Tech Wax and I hope they will post their results, and better yet, pictures of their cars to this thread after trying the product for themselves on their own car.

As an added bonus, after the demonstration, the shop manager gave me his card and asked me to put him in contact with the appropriate Meguiar's employee so that they can switch over to Meguiar's products. I left him some samples so that his detailers could duplicate what I did to the other side.

(Sorry about only making one half look good! )

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Fantastic results as always Mike!

I can't wait to try that on my 300ZX (black), real soon. So you recommend using the 8006 polishing pad for both DACP and NXT?

When do you step up to the cutting pad (7006 or equivalent) for cleaners and/or polishes, and when do you opt for a finishing pad (9006 or equivalent) for LSPs, instead of the 8006?

Comment

Great job on the Porsche. I can't wait to use the #83 and NXT on my Ranger.

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the kind words and for a great presentation. With a 1000 members you can bet we are fanatics about finishes. We really appreciated your no-nonsense approach and straight talk about finish preparation. Everyone said what a great event it was. Thanks for taking the time to educate us.

Greg Wood
                PCALA - Board Member

Comment

Originally posted by pcalosangeles
                  Mike,

Thanks for the kind words and for a great presentation. With a 1000 members you can bet we are fanatics about finishes. We really appreciated your no-nonsense approach and straight talk about finish preparation. Everyone said what a great event it was. Thanks for taking the time to educate us.

Greg Wood
                  PCALA - Board Member
                  Hi Greg,

You're very welcome. I had a great time too. Perhaps we can do it again next year, or hold a hands-on clinic for you club members here in Irvine?

Mike
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');