• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiar's #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner Conditioner Review!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meguiar's #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner Conditioner Review!

Hey Everyone,

Over the years, I have used hundreds of products from various manufacturers. Some I liked, while others I did not. But there are some that stand the test of time, that I keep reaching for every time I detail a vehicle, and Meguiar's #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner Conditioner is one of those products! I have used many many gallons of this product and will continue to do so!

I have had a lot people asking me about an old review I did on the very first MOL Forum in regards to Meguiar's #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner Conditioner. So here is a repost of the original!

Since we spend so much time discussing how to detail the outside, I thought that it would be a good idea to discuss one of the products that I use on the inside.

One of my favorite Meguiar’s products has to be:

Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner (#40)

This product can be used for tires, trim etc… . But, I will be referring to it for its interior performance.

I have found that after using this product that it has all of the characteristics I look for in a great vinyl/rubber dressing. Firstly, it contains cleaners to assist in cleaning the vinyl. The cleaners are rather mild so if you are looking at a very dirty interior, I would pre-clean with:

Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner (#39)

Otherwise, for the majority of vehicles that are kept in a somewhat “normal” condition, the #40’s cleaners will be enough.

The second thing that I like about Meguiar’s #40 is that the shine can be adjusted to your tastes. I prefer a more natural satin/low gloss shine for my vehicle’s interior. With the #40, you can wipe it down with a Microfiber towel if you want a little less sheen. Or, you can use a foam applicator if you want more of high gloss. I applied the product using a foam applicator pad. After applying the #40, I used a microfiber towel to wipe the interior vinyl down. The resultant sheen was Perfect for me!

Finally, the biggest pet peeve I have with vinyl dressings is how well or should I say how bad they attract dust! My truck is used for camping and fishing. As such, it is used on a fair amount of dirt roads. So, naturally dust attraction would be a major concern for me. I own and have tried many products, but the Meguiar’s #40 attracts dust the least. Sure, if I have the windows open while driving in the mountains, I will get dust everywhere but that can be said of any product. What I am concerned with is day-to-day usage. In that case, the Meguiar’s succeeds very well.

At first, the only downside of an otherwise excellent product is the smell. I have to admit that while I am applying it, I am not thrilled about the smell. It does not have a chemical smell as other products, or does it smell like old running shoes like another product I own. But the smell is there none-the–less. But what I did not expect is that the odor quickly evaporates after a few days until only a faint smell remains. This negativity about the odor is purely subjective, and to others it may not bother them at all. But, I wanted to be as thorough as I can if I am going to recommend a product to my friends!

Overall, I extremely pleased with the Meguiar’s #40’s performance! So much so, that I am now buying it in gallons! When I find something that I like, I make sure that I stock up as I do not to be without it when detailing an interior. I have other more expensive dressings, but for dollar to performance ratio, Meguiar’s #40 is hard to beat!

Here is the interior of my truck with Meguiar's #40:

Cheers!
    Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Re: Meguiar's #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner Conditioner Review!

It's the only thing I will use. I only wish I could get outside and clean the interior of my Envoy. It just disgusts me getting into a dirty car in the winter but I am too stubborn to do it this time of year. Oh well spring will be here soon.

Comment

it is amazing...i love using an applicator then wiping it off... it gives it a nice even spread
      Got one warm day for
      -'93 Ford Probe Red (SOLD)
      -'03 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally Red

Comment

With Tim's review. #40 is without a doubt the best interior protectorant that I have used REally good product.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by johnd651 View Post
          it is amazing...i love using an applicator then wiping it off... it gives it a nice even spread
          SYDSTER

Comment

Indeed #40 is a great product

Comment

Nice, I couldn't agree more! I have been using #39 and #40 on the interior (and tires) of my 67’ Camaro for the past 10+ years. Amazing products!
              Rick McDonough
              Customer Engagement - Digital Content Editor
              Meguiar's Inc.
              1.800.854.8073 * 3853
              rmcdonough@meguiars.com

Comment

Tim, is that an ALPINE cd deck...?
                Joe's detailing (Since 2002)
                ''We begin where the car wash Ends.''
                (269)650-2242

Comment

Yet another great writeup!! I LOVE #39 and #40.
                  Even the better half likes the look, non greasy! LOL!
                  MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's detailing View Post
                    Tim, is that an ALPINE cd deck...?
                    Hey Joe,

Yes it is an Alpine deck. I have since replaced it with a newer model Alpine but love it the same. I used to install sound systems as well as detailing while attending University. I always used Alpine decks as I had the best luck with them...

Tim
                    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I love Alpine decks, just replaced my old 9831 with a new 9882Ri..

oh, and... Nice looking interior too!
                      Arctic Detailing - Northern Norway
                      Facebook site http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...12239962147393

1996´AUDI S6 AVANT QUATTRO
                      00`S6 tip 92´S4q, 97´S6q, 97´A4q, 02´A4q, 76´ Audi50

Comment

I use the #39, never tried the #40. Yesterday my wife used it on the white handles of the fridge and said she never saw anything clean plastic as well and she owns a cleaning business!

Comment

Originally posted by dave40co View Post
                          I use the #39, never tried the #40. Yesterday my wife used it on the white handles of the fridge and said she never saw anything clean plastic as well and she owns a cleaning business!

I've had my wife use my APC and window cleaner with MF cloths for the window cleaner.

"Don't be tempted by the dark side of the force"

We will convert them shortly.

Heck, my wife knows some of the numbers

As far as 40 goes, love the stuff, got a gallon when I won my G100 and can't say enough about it. I have yet to try 39 but will someday, just wished they made a gallon of it.

Nice job on the interior, your truck Tim is the nicest Ford Heavy Duty that is used that I've seen.

Good show

Aaron
                          Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

I have #40 used it one time so far and was very pleased. Looks natural once it is buffed off. It does have a smell but it is a clean type chemical smell and not strong so I was ok with that.

Comment

#40 is nice and easy to you but it also easy to come off once contacted with water...

If compare to All Season Dressing i would say #40 is nice as it attract less dust but same time its less durabilty if contacted with water...

One thing i dislike about #40 is its smell...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');