• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

**New** Meguiar's #105 Ultra Cut Compound Review!!!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: **New** Meguiar's #105 Ultra Cut Compound Review!!!!

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    We've sent an e-mail to Jason Rose and have asked him to chime in on the topic of how this product works as compared to our products with diminishing abrasives.

Let's give him some time as we don't know what his schedule is like this week.

Thanks,
    Thanks Mike, I am eager for the reply
    Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Originally posted by TH0001 View Post
      Thanks Mike, I am eager for the reply
      An e-mail has been sent.

We understand the curiosity factor as well as the pursuit of knowledge.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

There is much talk about M105 and the finish it leaves, as well as, the type of abrasive used in it.

Let me do my best to confirm / clarify these 2 hot topics…

1) Finish left behind – M105 is not intended to be a LSP or a “1 liquid system". It is not a “polish” and we highly recommend following M105 with your favorite polish and pad for the best finish possible... it even states that in the directions. The front label states “Best in Class Finish”, this means if you compare the finish left behind to other compounds designed to remove 1200 grit scratches you will clearly see how good the finish looks after M105 and a wool pad is used. This DOES NOT mean it is swirls free or you can jump to a wax or it is a “1 liquid system” like So1o. Totally different products all together. In addition, totally different audience.

2) Type of abrasive used – M105 uses an entirely new type / combination of non diminishing abrasives (Even different than So1o). We refer to them as “Super Micro Abrasive Technology”. This abrasive technology is exclusive to Meguiar’s and is not available to any other company. With that said, unfortunately, we can’t go into any further details on the abrasive content in M105 because that is proprietary information.

This means, you will just need to use your own eyes and determine if M105 is a valid product for your detailing product mix that you use.

We know it will be for many shops, maybe that includes yours

Mike

PS - Feel free to copy / paste my comments to other sites that have these same questions.
        Mike Pennington
        Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
        Meguiar's, Inc.
        800-854-8073
        mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Mike said it best in the above post, I agree 100%.

I wanted to add...I'm so pumped about the curiousity and buzz about M105 Ultra-Cut Compound! If you've used it, you wonder "how can this stuff take that level of paint defect out so fast AND leave such a clear/glossy finish... making the second step with a Meguiar's polish fast & easy???"
          And if you haven't used it, you're curious what others are raving about!

I understand being curious HOW M105 works. I am that kind of person too. I want to know how products work. I have built my career on that curiosity...and probably the main reason I am the Field Marketing Manager of Professional products for Meguiar's.

But in this case, exactly how M105 works will be a mystery for you...not because we want to torture you... We simply have to be mindful of what we share about our formulations on an open forum.

I will say this...as a former detailer, I sure wish I had M105 when I was in the business!!!!!!!

Comment

WELL THANKS A LOT, Jason!

I look like a fool now.. I BELIEVED you when you told me...

"I mixed in Pixie Dust, Kevin. Shhhhhh..."

Ha-ha. Very funny.
            Kevin Brown
            NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

Tim- Another great write-up.
              I like your write-ups because the pictures you shoot are excellent, the writing is easy to follow, you always have a good intro, a thorough evaluation, and a great conclusion...

Can you link some of the older write-ups, or make a folder that includes write-ups such as this?
              It could include the write-ups that you & Mike Phillips have done (and others that are worthy).

My favorite is the one when you polished your aluminum boat.
              Kevin Brown
              NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
                I like your write-ups because the pictures you shoot are excellent, the writing is easy to follow, you always have a good intro, a thorough evaluation, and a great conclusion...

Can you link some of the older write-ups, or make a folder that includes write-ups such as this?
                It could include the write-ups that you & Mike Phillips have done (and others that are worthy).

My favorite is the one when you polished your aluminum boat.
                Thanks Kevin for the kind words!

Sure, I can put something togther of the various write-ups. I will see what I can up with...

Thanks again!

Tim
                Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post

I agree but who is the ugly guy in the pics?
                  Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Those that know me completely know to which extent my curiosity on how things work goes. Otherwise I wouldn't have done some things I have done and disassembled some things I have disassembled. However, sometimes I am also completely practical in approach and do not stop to inquire at every single step to the goal. I work in the IT field. I am daily depending on things like networking, attached storage, etc, to be working as advertised. I do not have PhD in each and every single area, it is humanly impossible. I don't even venture it. I just trust people whose shoulders I am standing on.

Same goes when it comes to polishes. While discussions on what makes them tick are engaging in the end it does not matter to me, all I care about in the end is that they work and final result, and in case of M105 that it works incredible as so well illustrated by Tim's great review here (thank you Tim!) and threads/posts by others that have used it too (thank you!).

M105 is one of very few recent products that I actually couldn't wait to get and that I found worth every single happily spent penny on.

So, thank you Meguiar's, thank you development team, thank you giants whose shoulders we are standing on, for M105. It just plain works.

Comment

I simply can't wait for my 105 to get here now!

Thanks for this post again.
                      www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine View Post
                        I agree but who is the ugly guy in the pics?
                        It is so ON now!

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by ZoranC View Post
                          Those that know me completely know to which extent my curiosity on how things work goes. Otherwise I wouldn't have done some things I have done and disassembled some things I have disassembled. However, sometimes I am also completely practical in approach and do not stop to inquire at every single step to the goal. I work in the IT field. I am daily depending on things like networking, attached storage, etc, to be working as advertised. I do not have PhD in each and every single area, it is humanly impossible. I don't even venture it. I just trust people whose shoulders I am standing on.

Same goes when it comes to polishes. While discussions on what makes them tick are engaging in the end it does not matter to me, all I care about in the end is that they work and final result, and in case of M105 that it works incredible as so well illustrated by Tim's great review here (thank you Tim!) and threads/posts by others that have used it too (thank you!).

M105 is one of very few recent products that I actually couldn't wait to get and that I found worth every single happily spent penny on.

So, thank you Meguiar's, thank you development team, thank you giants whose shoulders we are standing on, for M105. It just plain works.
                          Thank you Zoran, I really appreciate that!

Tim

Comment

Great little review, we arn't getting it in the UK at present but i have arranged for a little sample to come my way, looking forward to it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Rose View Post
                              Mike said it best in the above post, I agree 100%.

I wanted to add...I'm so pumped about the curiousity and buzz about M105 Ultra-Cut Compound! If you've used it, you wonder "how can this stuff take that level of paint defect out so fast AND leave such a clear/glossy finish... making the second step with a Meguiar's polish fast & easy???"
                              And if you haven't used it, you're curious what others are raving about!

I understand being curious HOW M105 works. I am that kind of person too. I want to know how products work. I have built my career on that curiosity...and probably the main reason I am the Field Marketing Manager of Professional products for Meguiar's.

But in this case, exactly how M105 works will be a mystery for you...not because we want to torture you... We simply have to be mindful of what we share about our formulations on an open forum.

I will say this...as a former detailer, I sure wish I had M105 when I was in the business!!!!!!!

The problem is that the abrasive can easily be "extracted" from the solution (I'm sure your competitors have). Unlike waxes/sealants, polishes are much easier to reverse engineer, as the only real mystery is in the lubrication and oil in the polish, and even then its not as difficult as most lsp's, where the mixing tempatures and pressures are more guess work.

M105 seems to defy a couple of Meguiar's previous logics, one that diminishing abrasives are better. I understand technology moves forward, and I for one am excited to see Meguiars leading the pack!

I am also curious as why (as Tim stated) the product is worked until it is broken down, when it doesn't break down? Also, the abrasives that intially cut the paint (at a rate of 12) would also leave micromarring if they are still that aggresive during wipe off. I understand that you guys won't go into detail and understand the reasons why, but from the the numerous formulators I have spoken with, they have assured me that the reality is that the abrasives are breaking down, whether they are called "diminishing" or not.

Thanks though and I look forward to giving M105 a try.
                              Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Originally posted by TH0001 View Post
                                The problem is that the abrasive can easily be "extracted" from the solution (I'm sure your competitors have). Unlike waxes/sealants, polishes are much easier to reverse engineer, as the only real mystery is in the lubrication and oil in the polish, and even then its not as difficult as most lsp's, where the mixing tempatures and pressures are more guess work.

M105 seems to defy a couple of Meguiar's previous logics, one that diminishing abrasives are better. I understand technology moves forward, and I for one am excited to see Meguiars leading the pack!

I am also curious as why (as Tim stated) the product is worked until it is broken down, when it doesn't break down? Also, the abrasives that intially cut the paint (at a rate of 12) would also leave micromarring if they are still that aggresive during wipe off. I understand that you guys won't go into detail and understand the reasons why, but from the the numerous formulators I have spoken with, they have assured me that the reality is that the abrasives are breaking down, whether they are called "diminishing" or not.

Thanks though and I look forward to giving M105 a try.
                                No, I actually said:

I worked the product like I would any other...I worked it until it was a light residue and then wiped it off. It worked extremely well and it left the finish very clear.
                                I did not say the product "broke down" as I simply do not know that it has. Using a rotary spinning at 1500rpm, I have yet to come across a product after all of these years that does not become a film due to things like the pad absorbing the product, the by product of heat evaporating some of the mixture etc...

I also said that the product requires the use of a follow up polishing step as it is a compound and not a polish. I used Meguiar's M02 to further refine the finish.

I am not a chemist. But I do know the product works extremely well and that is all I was trying to transmit via my review...

Tim

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');