**New** Meguiar's #105 Ultra Cut Compound Review!!!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 64

Thread: **New** Meguiar's #105 Ultra Cut Compound Review!!!!

          
  1. #21
    Registered Member Kevin Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    691
    Rep Power
    457

    Re: **New** Meguiar's #105 Ultra Cut Compound Review!!!!

    Tim- Another great write-up.
    I like your write-ups because the pictures you shoot are excellent, the writing is easy to follow, you always have a good intro, a thorough evaluation, and a great conclusion...

    Can you link some of the older write-ups, or make a folder that includes write-ups such as this?
    It could include the write-ups that you & Mike Phillips have done (and others that are worthy).

    My favorite is the one when you polished your aluminum boat.
    Kevin Brown
    NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

  2. #22
    aka 2hotford Tim Lingor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Okanagan Valley, BC
    Posts
    4,544
    Rep Power
    392

    Re: **New** Meguiar's #105 Ultra Cut Compound Review!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post
    Tim- Another great write-up.
    I like your write-ups because the pictures you shoot are excellent, the writing is easy to follow, you always have a good intro, a thorough evaluation, and a great conclusion...

    Can you link some of the older write-ups, or make a folder that includes write-ups such as this?
    It could include the write-ups that you & Mike Phillips have done (and others that are worthy).

    My favorite is the one when you polished your aluminum boat.
    Thanks Kevin for the kind words!

    Sure, I can put something togther of the various write-ups. I will see what I can up with...

    Thanks again!

    Tim

  3. #23
    I am the paint whisperer. Superior Shine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Covina / Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,734
    Rep Power
    206

    Re: **New** Meguiar's #105 Ultra Cut Compound Review!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post
    Tim- Another great write-up.
    I like your write-ups because the pictures you shoot are excellent, the writing is easy to follow, you always have a good intro, a thorough evaluation, and a great conclusion...

    I agree but who is the ugly guy in the pics?

  4. #24
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Pedro, CA
    Posts
    766
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: **New** Meguiar's #105 Ultra Cut Compound Review!!!!

    Those that know me completely know to which extent my curiosity on how things work goes. Otherwise I wouldn't have done some things I have done and disassembled some things I have disassembled. However, sometimes I am also completely practical in approach and do not stop to inquire at every single step to the goal. I work in the IT field. I am daily depending on things like networking, attached storage, etc, to be working as advertised. I do not have PhD in each and every single area, it is humanly impossible. I don't even venture it. I just trust people whose shoulders I am standing on.

    Same goes when it comes to polishes. While discussions on what makes them tick are engaging in the end it does not matter to me, all I care about in the end is that they work and final result, and in case of M105 that it works incredible as so well illustrated by Tim's great review here (thank you Tim!) and threads/posts by others that have used it too (thank you!).

    M105 is one of very few recent products that I actually couldn't wait to get and that I found worth every single happily spent penny on.

    So, thank you Meguiar's, thank you development team, thank you giants whose shoulders we are standing on, for M105. It just plain works.

  5. #25
    Clean4U Detailing Justin Murphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Blue Ridge, GA USA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    638
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: **New** Meguiar's #105 Ultra Cut Compound Review!!!!

    I simply can't wait for my 105 to get here now!

    Thanks for this post again.
    www.clean4udetailing.com

  6. #26
    aka 2hotford Tim Lingor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Okanagan Valley, BC
    Posts
    4,544
    Rep Power
    392

    Re: **New** Meguiar's #105 Ultra Cut Compound Review!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Superior Shine View Post
    I agree but who is the ugly guy in the pics?
    It is so ON now!

    Tim

  7. #27
    aka 2hotford Tim Lingor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Okanagan Valley, BC
    Posts
    4,544
    Rep Power
    392

    Re: **New** Meguiar's #105 Ultra Cut Compound Review!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    Those that know me completely know to which extent my curiosity on how things work goes. Otherwise I wouldn't have done some things I have done and disassembled some things I have disassembled. However, sometimes I am also completely practical in approach and do not stop to inquire at every single step to the goal. I work in the IT field. I am daily depending on things like networking, attached storage, etc, to be working as advertised. I do not have PhD in each and every single area, it is humanly impossible. I don't even venture it. I just trust people whose shoulders I am standing on.

    Same goes when it comes to polishes. While discussions on what makes them tick are engaging in the end it does not matter to me, all I care about in the end is that they work and final result, and in case of M105 that it works incredible as so well illustrated by Tim's great review here (thank you Tim!) and threads/posts by others that have used it too (thank you!).

    M105 is one of very few recent products that I actually couldn't wait to get and that I found worth every single happily spent penny on.

    So, thank you Meguiar's, thank you development team, thank you giants whose shoulders we are standing on, for M105. It just plain works.
    Thank you Zoran, I really appreciate that!

    Tim

  8. #28
    Registered Member epoch_02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: **New** Meguiar's #105 Ultra Cut Compound Review!!!!

    Great little review, we arn't getting it in the UK at present but i have arranged for a little sample to come my way, looking forward to it now.

  9. #29
    Loves to Detail TH0001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Orlando Florida
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,091
    Rep Power
    133

    Re: **New** Meguiar's #105 Ultra Cut Compound Review!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
    Mike said it best in the above post, I agree 100%.

    I wanted to add...I'm so pumped about the curiousity and buzz about M105 Ultra-Cut Compound! If you've used it, you wonder "how can this stuff take that level of paint defect out so fast AND leave such a clear/glossy finish... making the second step with a Meguiar's polish fast & easy???"
    And if you haven't used it, you're curious what others are raving about!

    I understand being curious HOW M105 works. I am that kind of person too. I want to know how products work. I have built my career on that curiosity...and probably the main reason I am the Field Marketing Manager of Professional products for Meguiar's.

    But in this case, exactly how M105 works will be a mystery for you...not because we want to torture you... We simply have to be mindful of what we share about our formulations on an open forum.

    I will say this...as a former detailer, I sure wish I had M105 when I was in the business!!!!!!!

    The problem is that the abrasive can easily be "extracted" from the solution (I'm sure your competitors have). Unlike waxes/sealants, polishes are much easier to reverse engineer, as the only real mystery is in the lubrication and oil in the polish, and even then its not as difficult as most lsp's, where the mixing tempatures and pressures are more guess work.

    M105 seems to defy a couple of Meguiar's previous logics, one that diminishing abrasives are better. I understand technology moves forward, and I for one am excited to see Meguiars leading the pack!

    I am also curious as why (as Tim stated) the product is worked until it is broken down, when it doesn't break down? Also, the abrasives that intially cut the paint (at a rate of 12) would also leave micromarring if they are still that aggresive during wipe off. I understand that you guys won't go into detail and understand the reasons why, but from the the numerous formulators I have spoken with, they have assured me that the reality is that the abrasives are breaking down, whether they are called "diminishing" or not.

    Thanks though and I look forward to giving M105 a try.

  10. #30
    aka 2hotford Tim Lingor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Okanagan Valley, BC
    Posts
    4,544
    Rep Power
    392

    Re: **New** Meguiar's #105 Ultra Cut Compound Review!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by TH0001 View Post
    The problem is that the abrasive can easily be "extracted" from the solution (I'm sure your competitors have). Unlike waxes/sealants, polishes are much easier to reverse engineer, as the only real mystery is in the lubrication and oil in the polish, and even then its not as difficult as most lsp's, where the mixing tempatures and pressures are more guess work.

    M105 seems to defy a couple of Meguiar's previous logics, one that diminishing abrasives are better. I understand technology moves forward, and I for one am excited to see Meguiars leading the pack!

    I am also curious as why (as Tim stated) the product is worked until it is broken down, when it doesn't break down? Also, the abrasives that intially cut the paint (at a rate of 12) would also leave micromarring if they are still that aggresive during wipe off. I understand that you guys won't go into detail and understand the reasons why, but from the the numerous formulators I have spoken with, they have assured me that the reality is that the abrasives are breaking down, whether they are called "diminishing" or not.

    Thanks though and I look forward to giving M105 a try.
    No, I actually said:

    I worked the product like I would any other...I worked it until it was a light residue and then wiped it off. It worked extremely well and it left the finish very clear.
    I did not say the product "broke down" as I simply do not know that it has. Using a rotary spinning at 1500rpm, I have yet to come across a product after all of these years that does not become a film due to things like the pad absorbing the product, the by product of heat evaporating some of the mixture etc...

    I also said that the product requires the use of a follow up polishing step as it is a compound and not a polish. I used Meguiar's M02 to further refine the finish.

    I am not a chemist. But I do know the product works extremely well and that is all I was trying to transmit via my review...

    Tim

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Meguiar's *New* M105 Ultra-Cut Compound Makes a SPLASH at Alpine Electronics
    By Kevin Brown in forum Show Off Your Latest Detail Work
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: Jan 12th, 2014, 06:37 PM
  2. M105 Ultra Cut Compound - New!
    By Mike Phillips in forum Meguiar's Product Introduction Threads
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Sep 6th, 2009, 12:47 AM
  3. #105 Ultra Cut Compound - Help Needed
    By jamores23 in forum Professional Line - Product Reviews
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Feb 21st, 2009, 03:40 AM
  4. M105 Ultra-Cut Compound Kit - New
    By Mike Phillips in forum Meguiar's Product Introduction Threads
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Mar 27th, 2008, 12:25 AM
  5. Ultra-Cut Compound 105 in Action
    By Sydster in forum The Break Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Mar 9th, 2008, 08:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •