• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ScratchX Limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScratchX Limit

Is it possible to use ScratchX to the point where it strips or indents the clear coat? I noticed a shallow dime sized indentation in the area I was rubbing. It might of been there already, because it's not easily noticeable. I was applying by hand, and paint is about 2 years old.

Re: ScratchX Limit

We've rubbed on a lot of cars with ScratchX and we've never rubbed through the clear layer on any car's finish to date.

It's just not that aggressive of a product. Also, if you're working on the factory paint, that's only 2 years old then you should have plenty of film build in the clear unless some hack of detailer has been to aggressive when buffing on the paint.

When you remove clear coat paint from a section of a finish, you can tell because the color coat usually doesn't have any gloss to it.

When you turn your applicator over, do you see the color of the color coat?

If not, then you have not rubbed through the clear coat, if you are seeing colorant, or pigment, i.e. if your car has a clear coated red paint job and you're seeing red pigment then this is a pretty good indicator you have rubbed through the clear layer of paint.

Another sign is if you have rubbed through the clear coat, the spot your seeing will grow and grow the more you rub.

Hope that helps...

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');