• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

plan to purchase new rotary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plan to purchase new rotary

Which Rotary Buffer Should I Purchase?

I have plan to buy a new rotary polisher. These are my candidates:

Dewalt
    Makita
    Flex
    Metabo

Can you guy, share your experience working with those tools, +/- between them.

Thanks
    Dewalt
    18.23%
    makita
    37.57%
    PC
    9.39%
    Milwaukee
    4.97%
    Flex
    9.39%
    Dynabrade
    0.55%
    Fein
    0.00%
    Hitachi
    4.97%
    Chicago electric
    6.63%
    Other Brand
    8.29%

The poll is expired.

Polishing is an art!!

Re: plan to purchase new rotary

DeWalt is too heavy for my taste. I liked Makita both ergonomic wise and weight wise, but between Makita and Hitachi I liked Hitachi more. Flex has two rotary models, so question is which one you have in mind. I did not have a chance to try either one, but looking at specs one is too heavy for my taste and other one, while being very light, one of lightest I know of, has RPMs starting at 1100 and some do not like that.

I have owned Metabo briefly and disliked it's ergonomics/appropach, I was finding it a very poor fit to a clumsy beginner like me. Few very advanced rotary users I trust have felt same.

Right now I own Hitachi and I like it's ergonomics, weight, and specs. However, recently I had a chance to very briefly play with Dynabrade rotary and I like it very very much. Enough that I will be, money permitting, upgrading from my Hitachi to Dynabrade.

Comment

I have a hitachi. Great machine for a great price.
      02 Ford F250 Super Duty
      International T444E 7.3L Diesel
      Not exactly stock...laundry list of mods.
      Straight Piped
      PHP FU chip

Comment

I agree with the above. I have a Makita 9227 and really like it. I have used a friends Hitachi SP18VA I think was the model number. The Hitachi seemed to be lighter of the two. Both are very good machines.

Tic

Comment

I think about flex lk603vvb. The weight is about 7.5 lbs. Is it a good machine?
          Polishing is an art!!

Comment

Originally posted by michaeld0983 View Post
            I think about flex lk603vvb. The weight is about 7.5 lbs. Is it a good machine?
            Flex is a reputable company so very likely it is a reliable machine. However, it is not one I would be choosing myself for reasons explained above.

Comment

I think we need to start a member poll to see what everyone uses.

Here's a list of manufacturers: Dewalt, Makita, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Flex, Dynabrade, Metabo, Fein, Hitachi, and Chicago Electric.

If you own a rotary brand that is not on the list of ones mentioned, feel free to respond.
              Chris
              Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
                I think we need to start a member poll to see what everyone uses.

Here's a list of manufacturers: Dewalt, Makita, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Flex, Dynabrade, Metabo, Fein, Hitachi, and Chicago Electric.

If you own a rotary brand that is not on the list of ones mentioned, feel free to respond.
                Agree
                Polishing is an art!!

Comment

Personal recommendation...

Get a rotary buffer with a stick handle or a stick handle and the option for a hoop handle, don't get a hoop handle model unless you also get a stick handle to go with it.

After hours and hours of buffing, your muscles that runs down your forearm will get fatigued more using a hoop handle versus a stick handle. Just an opinion based upon experience, your mileage may vary but that's why it's nice to have the option. Makita offers a package like this, i.e. both options.

Another thing I would look for is the top of the head unit, my old Makita has a rubber block so that if you turn the buffer upside and rest it on the car, it's resting on rubber, not metal. It also gives your hand something to grip against when holding the buffer without either handle.

I personally don't use a handle at all anymore, so a buffing head that is comfortable and easy to grip with your hand is a nice feature.

Again... just my own personal insights based upon experience, you're mileage may and probably will vary...

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

thanks mike. great advise
                    Polishing is an art!!

Comment

I own a Makita, and personally I love it. I've tried the Dewalt and although it got the job done I still prefer my Makita. Personal choice I guess, try and see if you can try them out before you decide.
                      Erik Mejia

Polishing Paint removes the stress in my life, and the swirls on my car.

Comment

I've got a makita and just bought another one just for polishing bare aluminum.
                        Use a dewalt at work and just got use to it, thinking about getting one of these when extra money allows just for the compounding step on aluminum.
                        both are completely different but at the same time they are just two great machines.
                        Mike phillips you are the reason I started using the rotary and G100 without the handles(it's much better), and sometimes I've tried to use them with the handles from time to time and it just don't feel right! like it doesn't belong with them.
                        When I use my rotary without the handles I don't have any problems with them what so ever but then when I try it's like I don't have a clue of what I'm doinganyways my two cents.
                        ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
                        You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
                        Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

I've had two Makita 9227C's; one was used, but it ran like a champ (now owned by Joe's Detailing) and the other was used once. You can get a used one for about $100 and an almost new one with bag for $130.

This poll is turning out to be really interesting. There really doesn't seem to be one brand that stands out significantly than all the others. Cool!!!!
                          Chris
                          Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Hey,

I have and use 3 rotaries: Makita 9207, Makita 9227 and a Dewalt 849.

I use the Dewalt for compounding and leave it set up for that use. I use the Makita's for polishing. Both brands are fantastic, though I would give the edge for heavy dutiness to the Dewalt and the older 9207 Makita which is built like a tank!

Tim
                            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

thanks for the reply guys, perhaps in next 3 months i'll buy one, still saving money right now. Keep sharing your experience with rotary guys. Thanks
                              Polishing is an art!!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');