• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Apply Interior Dressings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Apply Interior Dressings

How To Apply Interior Dressings

Instead of spraying an interior spray dressing or cleaner directly onto the surface where overspray can be a problem, instead try this technique.

Take a clean microfiber polishing cloth, foam wax applicator pad, microfiber applicator pad or even a household terry cloth wash rag and fold it at least 4-ways, (more if it's really large), and then dampen one side of it by spraying your choice of dressing or cleaner onto the cloth or applicator pad.

Now take this dampened side of your applicator cloth or pad and use it to wipe down the appropriate surfaces in your car's interior always matching the correct product to the surface to be treated. By using this technique you have precise control over product placement and avoid getting overspray onto adjacent surfaces where you may not want a dressing or a cleaner.

Using Quik Interior Detailer to clean the dash on a 1975 Jimmy

Meguiar's Soft Foam Applicator Pad

Meguiar's Supreme Shine Microfiber Polishing Cloth

A clean, household wash rag

If you're using a foam or microfiber wax applicator pad, first bury the nozzle into the pad then inject some dressing or cleaner into the pad. Squeeze the trigger slowly and allow the liquid to penetrate into the foam. It won't take much to give you plenty to spread around. Add more as needed and keep a clean dry polishing cloth around to wipe off any excess from the surface.

Ick! Look at some of the dirt we're removing!
    Time for an Interior Extreme Makeover!

Product selection is always important but just as important is the technique you use to apply the product.

(Excuse the engine grime under my fingernails, when I took these pictures I just finished removing a 4-speed transmission and a NP205 Transfercase out of the rig I'm sitting in, a 1975 GMC Jimmy. -thanks... mp)
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Re: How To Apply Interior Dressings

Thanks as from now i wont spray directly on surfaces to clean

Comment

Thanks for the tips Mike. I never sprayed onto the surface always on the applicator. I will now spray the product closer to the applicator. That just makes sense. Thanks again Mike.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

I just bought this product and haven't had time to use it yet - thanks
        for the great information. I have had a hard time finding something to
        work on the interior. The Honda Fit has a carbon fiber "appearance" on
        the dash and doors so I don't want product getting into the dimples and
        staying.

Cat :x

Comment

I Initially cover my hand with a latex glove, follow that with a microfiber mit... then spray my mit with detailer... that way, I have essentially infinite control over where the detailer gets spread

Comment

I sure appreciate these "technique posts".
            Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
            by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

i spray my microfiber mit and i like the way it works

Comment

o i c i wont spray into the surface anymore thx thx

Comment

I haven't sprayed the products on the surface for some time but I really like the idea of getting the product into the pad.
                  Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                  Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I havent tried this method and yeah i agree with you Cat the Carbon Fiber is hard to manvour around when just spraying, detailing a mates interior tonight and will instead spray onto the cloth...

what about when the product says: if you want a longer lasting effect leave on surface for a couple of mintues?

Comment

I always let my dressing sit 5-10 minutes before buffing off.... no idea if it helps or not, but seems to give good results.
                      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                        I always let my dressing sit 5-10 minutes before buffing off.... no idea if it helps or not, but seems to give good results.

so you do spray it on first then???

Comment

Spray the dressing onto your applicator first them apply. Much cleaner doing it this way as you don't end up spraying glass and panels you don't want to. Let it sit 10-15 mins. then buff off.
                          The Best Last Step, is the step backwards you take to admire your work!
                          Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                          If you use #7 on your car, you're not in good company... you're in GREAT company!

Comment

Thanks i think i understand now...

Comment

I just tried M40 with microfibre, wipe on - it clean the dash same time the product bonded to the surface and leave semi gloss surface.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');