• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1999 Corvette - Remove Swirls and Scratches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Corvette - Remove Swirls and Scratches

1999 Corvette - Remove Swirls and Scratches

Today I'm going to try to undo another persons damage to the driver’s door on this black 1999 Corvette.

The scouring on the door was caused by hand applying some type of compound. Below is a close-up of the damage.

I'll probably have to machine clean the finish in order to remove the defects. Afterwards, I plan on machine polishing the entire finish first with a rotary buffer, second with a Porter Cable. Then I'll apply two coats of NXT Tech Wax.

After pictures to be posted tonight.

Mike
    Last edited by Lynn Matthews; Mar 11, 2004, 10:32 PM.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Here are some before shots of the finish in its current condition,

Deck lid

Hood (note the buffer swirls)

Besides the scouring in the finish, a local detailer tried to restore the seats with what looks like some kind of paint, or dye.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

First things first.

After washing the entire car really well, I then clayed all the upper panels. Because the finish was recently detailed, I didn't expect too many bonded contaminants, and rubbing my hand over the clean panels didn't reveal any bonded contaminant issues. I wanted to make sure however because the owners parks the car outside while at work. (other than that it's garage kept). Also, because my goal is to bring the clarity and gloss to it’s maximum potential, I didn’t want to leave anything to chance.

Meguiar’s recently replaced their clay bar in the Quik Clay System with a new and improved clay bar that works much better. A quick claying over the car resulted in very little contaminants pulled from the surface.

Close-up of clay after claying the entire car,

After claying the entire car, I quick detailed and dried any residue and then taped off and covered the interior to prevent splatter in cracks and crevices and in the cockpit.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I wanted to test exactly what it would take to remove approximately 90% of the scratches, swirls and defects in this finish. In my experience, newer Corvettes have very hard paint. I would say it’s like buffing on glass. For this reason, I really didn’t want to compound the car if I didn’t have to. So I decided to see what I could do following Meguiar’s age old advise,

”Always use the least aggressive product to get the job done”

I decided to tape off the rear deck lid and test two combinations while leaving one section in it’s current condition to compare to.

On the left side, I will try #83 DACP with a W-8006 foam polishing on a Makita rotary buffer at the 1800 rpms. I will follow that with #83 DACP with a W-8006 foam polishing pad on the G-100 dual action polisher on the 5.0 setting. I will follow that with an application of NXT Tech Wax by hand.

On the right side, I will try #83 DACP with a W-8006 foam polishing pad on the G-100 dual action polisher on the 5.0 setting. I will follow that with an application of NXT Tech Wax by hand.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

After cleaning, polishing and applying the Tech Wax to both sides, and then waiting for the Tech Wax to dry for 15 minutes, I removed the Tech Wax by hand using a Meguiar’s Ultimate Wipe microfiber polishing cloth. I then removed the towel and the tape I used to section off the deckled and pulled the car into full sun to inspect.

Here is some shots of the results,

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Here are few more with the sun positioned in each of the sections,

Here is the results on the side I only used the PC on. While not perfect, it is dramatically improved and I only polished if for about 5-10 minutes. With a little more time, I could have removed even more swirls.

Here are the results for the side I machine cleaned with the rotary buffer first, and then used the PC on followed by one coat of Tech Wax.

These results are much better, not 100%, but this process achieved the goal I was looking for. The rotary buffer with #83, followed by the PC with #83, followed by Tech Wax will be the combination I will use to buff out the rest of the car.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

The first thing I decided to tackle after dialing in a plan of attack was to remove the scouring on the drivers door. I was told that first this car was detailed and in the process instilled with swirls. Afterwards, another well-intending person thought they would show the owner how easy the swirls would be to remove with the right compound. The owner, trusting that the person knew what they were talking about, allowed the person to demonstrate on the drivers door. Below are the results,

I visually inspected the scratches and took a reflection shot of #83 before removing the scratches.

Next I took a close-up shot of the surface using the camera’s flash,

I have temporally closed this thread until I can finish uploading the rest of the photos with comments. For now I'll be out washing a 1947 Plymouth Coupe for a before and after using ColorX and Tech Wax. Look for this write-up and photos on Friday.

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

First I tried M-83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish with a W-8006 foam polishing pad on a Makita rotary buffer at around 1800 rpms.

While this removed a majority of the shallow scratches and restored clarity to the clear coat, it wasn’t aggressive enough to completely remove the deepest scratches.

Next, I substituted M-84 Compound Power Cleaner, with a W-7006 foam cutting pad with the Makita rotary buffer at the same rpm as the previous test.

I spent some time slowly moving the buffer back and forth over the affected area overlapping each of my passes by about 50%. After approximately 10 to 15 minutes, I stopped buffing and wiped off the residue. This combination proved effective at removing 95% of the remaining scratches and smoothing out the remaining scratches to the point that they were almost impossible to detect.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

After compounding with the M-84, and the W-7006, I then re-buffed the entire section with the rotary buffer and the #83/W-8006 to insure that any haze or swirls were removed. This brought the clarity up a just a little higher.

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Later, after the machine cleaning step was over, I used the G-100 with W-8006 foam polishing pad and the #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish to completely polish all of the areas I used the rotary buffer on.

Here's a picture of the car completely covered with the #83 after polishing with the G-100.

To remove the #83 residue, I'm going to use a combination of 100% cotton terry cloth towels and microfibers polishing cloths. I'll go around the car once and remove a majority of the #83 with terry cloth, and then follow up with a Meguiar's Ultimate Wipe to remove all remaining residues. I prefer to remove the bulk of the cleaner/polish with terry cloth because I feel the nap of a good terry cloth towel helps to slice into and break-up the continuous film-build laying on the surface better than a plush microfiber polishing cloth.
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

That night, I applied one coat of NXT Tech Wax. I allowed it to dry for at least 20 minutes after I applied to the entire car and then I removed it by hand using a Meguiar's Ultimate Wipe microfiber polishing cloth.

The finish looked good in the garage but it was after midnight, so I walked away to allow the polymers to set-up over night. The next day, I applied a second coat around 11:00am. I allowed this one to dry for about 15 minutes before wiping it off, this time with a microfiber bonnet on the G-100.

After removing a majority of the wax, I edged the car, and gave it a final wipe-down by hand with a new, clean microfiber polishing cloth.

I then took some reflection shots while the car was still in the garage. I have some Meguiar's poster boards on the wall in the garage. Here's a reflection shot,

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Lynn finished restoring the seats by removing the dye first. She then re-cleaned the seats again using Meguiar's

Gold Class Rich Leather Aloe Cleaner

Followed by conditioning the leather with,

Gold Class Rich Leather Aloe Conditioner

Here's the before,

Here's the after,

And Here's a shot of the interior after she detailed it,

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Below are some after shots of the finish with two coats of NXT Tech Wax,

Here is a shot of the sun reflecting off the deck lid,

Here's a reflection shot of Tech Wax on the deck lid,
                          (I wiped the bottom of the bottle clean and set it ever so gently onto the finish)

And here's a reflection shot of some shrubs on the hood,

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working on newer Corvettes like these must be done carefully. The paint is very hard, but at the same time easily scratched. I have instructed the owner on how to wash the car using only high quality mitts and car washes formulated for automotive paints.

I also spent some time showing him how easy his finish will be to maintain using Meguiar's Quik Detailer, Tech Wax, and NXT Spray Wax.

Although this car was a lot of work to completely buff out, it was a lot of fun and I'm glad the owner trusted me with his baby. (He kissed it before letting Lynn drive it away!)

Worst thing about the entire detail is now Lynn want one!

Mike
                            Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

SWEET!

Man did I enjoy that thread!
                              Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');