• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safe Degreaser not that safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe Degreaser not that safe?

Why every time I wash wheels on various cars they dry with a lot of white spots? I apply degreaser, work it in, lightly mist over again, let it sit for 30sec and rinse it off with high pressure. I understand that some plastics get white, but why rims do that is a mystery to me. Is it going to get worse with Super Degreaser? What's going on here?

Re: Safe Degreaser not that safe?

Although I used a different brand of degreaser (but said it was safe Costco sells it) I had problems such as same as the white spots, fading of paint, removing of the little blue and red pin stripe on those awesome white spoke wheels on my '64 Chevy. I think it's too harsh.

What type of wheels are they?

Meguiars Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner is a safe bet and a milder (or so I've read and used) is the Hot Rims Multi Piece wheel cleaner and follow the instructions. I spray, let it soak a moment or so, scrub with my handy Meg's brush, rinse very well. I also 5 step my wheels as they are machined clear coated (just like paint) and painted wheels and have not had a problem. I maintain with Quik Wheel Detailer.

The above cleaners work like a charm, I don't usually have a problem with brake dust, but road salt/cinder dust during winter and just general dirty in summer from fishing trips and never needed anything stronger than those wheel cleaners.

Hope that helps.

Aaron.
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

I do a lot of detailing and it is always German clear coated wheels. I really like Safe Degreaser for wheels, tires, wheelwells, engine bays. I noticed if I get some dressing on rims themselves, white spots go away (or get covered).

Comment

Usually the white spots come from product drying on the wheel.

Comment

You may want to give All Purpose Cleaner a shot (APC) that degreaser may be too harsh for the wheels. A lot on this here forum use it on wheel wells, engine bay, tires, etc etc.

Safe Degreaser shouldn't leave white residue. Maybe mixing the ratio too strong.......

I would try APC and use dedicated wheel cleaners for the wheels. I, over time messed up the wheels on other cars using degreasers (safe ones or so they said), not Safe Degreaser mind you......Also, if it's hot where you are washing or have hard water they will spot too.....

Aaron
          Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

I recently detailed a friends car.The rims were nasty. My regular routine using apc barely did anything. I used the safe de greeaser removed all the crud like a champ. After rinsing I wanted to be sure there would be no harmful after effects so I washed them again with the apc. No harm done at all. I would rather be safe than soorry on some one elses vehicle. For the piece of mind I recieved for the extra 5-6 minutes it took to do all 4 with apc, not a problem.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');