• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using ColorX by hand, for the first time, tips please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Using ColorX by hand, for the first time, tips please!

i have never use "color X " but ...I heard it does wonders ....I must give thise a try on my uncles dark color car...

Comment

Reading this thread really answered alot of my questions, thanks to everyone for their input.
      Bill from SLC, Utah
      "Show me Wax on Wax off!"

Comment

How good is colour X at restoring lightly to moderately oxidised paint?

Comment

Works really well. I usually use CX on my SS truck if for some reason the paint starts to oxidize.

Comment

would using a PC with a light cutting pad give ColorX an extra bite removing swirls and scratches or would that just mar the paint?
            Darren F

Comment

Originally posted by Darren F View Post
              would using a PC with a light cutting pad give ColorX an extra bite removing swirls and scratches or would that just mar the paint?
              At this time Meguiar's doesn't recommend using our cutting pad with any DA Polisher because together with the oscillating action it can micro-mar some clear coats.

So we would not recommend using ColorX with a "light cutting pad" as you asked.

The technical answer to your questions is "Yes", using more aggressive application material whether you're working by hand or machine will always tend to make whatever product you're using more aggressive, just common sense. The problem again, is what will the end-result look like? Here at Meguiar's' we don't teach people how to haze or mar their paint, we leave that to those other forums.

If you need more aggressive swirl removing power we would recommend a cleaner/polish with our polishing pad for use with a DA Polisher or switching to a rotary buffer.

There are a number of threads that address your topics of interest here,

Hot Topics

What are you working on?
              What are you trying to do?

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Alfaromeodriver View Post
                How good is colour X at restoring lightly to moderately oxidised paint?
                Part of the cleaning action of any product (any product formulated to be used to clean paint), is determined by your application material and how you apply it.

If you just gently wipe ColorX onto the paint and wipe it off using a clean, soft microfiber applicator pad it will have less cleaning action compared to applying the product using terry cloth and putting some passion behind the pad.

Make sense?

Perhaps start a "new" dedicated thread with your questions about restoring old paint for recommendations specifically for your project.

From the bottom of the forum homepage....

If you want to start a new thread, then click to the appropriate forum by clicking here and selecting the forum that best describes what your topic will be about and then look for the button on the left hand side of the page that says, New Thread and click on it. You'll see a place to type in your Subject and below that a message box that you can type your message into. After you're finished with your message, click on the Submit New Thread button and your message will be posted to the forum.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                  The worse the paint is, the more product you'll want to use and the more you'll want to work only small sections at a time.

If the paint is in bad condition, you want a "liquid" amount of product on teh paitn because you want a wet solution of the chemical cleaners doing some work for you. If you work to dry you won't have the "liquid" cleaning abilithy working in your favor.

Here are two threads... this one...

1986 Ford Bronco II - Extreme Makeover

And this one, both of these were done completely BY HAND, no machine work whatsoever. Just a little passion behind the pad...

ColorX
                  http://www.meguiars.com/?liquid-car-waxes/COLORx

Although the below car is painted, you can see the power of ColorX. Here's what ColorX did by hand to a 1947 Plymouth Coupe,

Before - Horrible Swirls throughout the finish

First we removed the white paint overspray using Meguiar's Quik Clay System now replaced with Smooth Surface Clay Kit.

Then applied one hand application of ColorX followed by one hand application of NXT Tech Wax Liquid

wow thats cool, questions.. is it possible to achieve that by using hands only? and the other one is for that kind of swirls, do i need to rub it hard or just aply let it dry and buff off, its a new car but a lot of swirls the color is black and the paint is stage one

i just wanna have a deep blackkkk, can i achieve that using only color x or i need to wax it using nxt wax after color x??

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');