• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a good engine compartment cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is a good engine compartment cleaner

Rinse with water (a quick pass over the engine), then use either Meg Degreaser (on my car I used this on the front timing cover) or APC (I start of with it diluted 4:1), use some brushes and towels, a quick rinse to get the engine clean then dress with hyper dressing (I have yet to use but as soon as I run out of current product I will def pick up a gallon of this).

Comment

So which is better for the engine - APC or APC+ or Super Degr? I used Purple Power but it's too strong and then I used Simple Green which I liked a lot. I really want to use the MG products.

Comment

jmitch,

APC+ is "proper" but I "improperly" used APC and it worked amazing. Look at this thread here... http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...highlight=lazy

You will not believe how good it comes out and how little effort it takes.

I use it diluted 10:1 and it works awesome and MUCH better than Simple Green.
        ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Originally posted by IWantaTurbo View Post
          I was told to use Simple Green b/c it's a good degreaser and is good for the environment. Is this true?
          Even if the degreaser is safe for the environment, the problem is the gunk you remove... oil and oily sludge.

Just to keep things in perspective...

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post
            jmitch,

APC+ is "proper" but I "improperly" used APC and it worked amazing. Look at this thread here... http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...highlight=lazy

Are the MEGS products safe for aluminum and aluminum engines?

Comment

The below are degreasers and all purpose cleaners and in most cases can be used to clean an engine compartment. Note the Safe-D-Greaser has been discontinued but you may still find some at your local PBE store.

Here are the part numbers, names and copy from the new Detailer Line listed in the order of Meguiar's new Professional Catalog. The entire Detailer Line is V.O.C. compliant in all 50 states.

Super Degreaser

Meguiar's Super Degreaser exceeds expectations by quickly breaking down even the toughest grease. Its fast acting, free rinsing formula prevents unsightly white residue stains while its herbal fragrance creates a pleasant work environment.

D-10801 1 gallon
              D-10805 5 gallon
              D-10855 55 gallon

Dewaxing 20:1
              Medium Duty Degreasing 10:1
              Heavy Duty Degreasing 4:1

Safe D-Greaser

Today's vehicles utilize a variety of specialized materials, which is why Meguiar's Safe D-Greaser has been specially formulated to reduce the possibility of staining exterior surfaces. Designed to quickly break down grease and grime on engines, tries and fender wells, Safe D-Greaser is ideally suited for today's fast paces, high volume shops.

D-10501 1 gallon
              D-10505 5 gallon
              D-10555 55 gallon

Dewaxing 20:1

Recommended replacement for regular All Purpose Cleaner and Citri-Gel Multi Cleaner.

All Purpose Cleaner

Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner is ideal for reconditioning interior surfaces. The superior foaming action gently lifts the dirt away while its unique blend of fabric softeners and optical brighteners enhance the look and feel of carpet, upholstery, vinyl and even leather.

D-10101 1 gallon
              D-10105 5 gallon
              D-10155 55 gallon

All Purpose Cleaner Plus

Meguiar’s® All Purpose Cleaner Plus is a true all surface cleaner ideally suited for today’s fast paced, high volume, detail operations where one simple solution is needed for a wide variety of cleaning needs. It provides mixtures for heavy cleaning of engines and tires, fast interior cleaning, as well as a low foam ratio for use in carpet and upholstery extraction machines. Leaves carpet clean, smelling pleasant, and the fibers soft with no sticky residue. Safe for clear plastic, glass and leather.
              • Sizes Available
                D10301 All Purpose Cleaner Plus 1-Gallon
                D10305 All Purpose Cleaner Plus 5-Gallon
                D10355 All Purpose Cleaner Plus 55-Gallon
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

yeah - pologuy - I think that was the better question for me to ask because the purple power will turn white and stay on engine block.

Comment

Well, my engine is aluminum and I would like to keep it looking nice, lol...

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I ended up using some Gunk degreaser. It is a little messy but it did all right. The only area that needed tending wa sthe brake fluid resivoir. and power steering resivoir.
                    Thanks mike for showing me all those products!
                    Alex
                    1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
                    1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
                    1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post
                      jmitch,

i'm a newbie. what's APC and APC+?

Comment

Detailer Line: Super Degreaser is what you should use for Engines. Then Dress with GC Trim Detailer or a Detailer Line Dressing.

APC: All Purpose Cleaner

APC+: All Purpose Cleaner Plus (Made for Carpet/Upholstery, doesn't foam, Orange Scent)

Find them at: www.autodetailingsolutions.com
                        Matt

Comment

thanks guys. like an idiot i figured it out later in the day. which is preferable? and how about the dressing which is best?

Comment

Yeah, which of the two is more gentle as far as cleaning goes?

Also, has anyone ever used this Meg's (Green stuff) APC to clean their leather interior? If so, how did it perform?

Did you have to dilute it, or can you use it full strength?

Thanks!

Comment

I have used APC+ (essentially the same as APC) at 10:1 to clean some really dirty, older MB leather. Worked fine, just be sure and dress it when done.

Back to the post. RaiderFan, I have always used Water Based Dressing. I now have Hyper-Dressing and will give that a shot the next time around. Both are water based so it will make future cleanings easy by simply rinsing off when you go to clean it.

Comment

I use APC and then dress the black plastic areas with GC Trim Detailer or M40
                                Nick
                                Tucker's Detailing Services
                                815-954-0773
                                2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');