• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NXT and lint (newbie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NXT and lint (newbie)

Hard subject to describe, but here goes. I have a black 02 SVT Focus. It new with less than 5000 miles on the clock. Wash 2 bucket method - dry and use DC1 & DC2 as needed then NXT.
    The weird thing is is some locations I find lint ( from the drying microfibre) and the odd arm hair (I have no shortage of this) trapped under the NXT (its a polymer layer correct?) and I only notice this during the wipe off stage of the NXT.

You may think that I'm nuts but these spots are not there during the washing process - so whats wrong with my process.

Can I use the dc1 locally on these spots then DC2 and the a spot of NXT, or leave it and it'll come out in the wash..

sorry for the newbie question

Thats a new one, Is it possible to post a picture?

The layer of sealant film isnt thick enough to actually trap a hair underneath it, maybe there is sonething sticky just holding it on there?? If you wipe it witha microfiber will it come off?

As for the lint are you using megs ultimate wipes or another microfiber? I have had this happen with some towels and the funny part is it is very random it wont link the whole car just a few small areas. I dont have the lint problem anymore since I switched brands of towels.
    If you dont play you CANT win!

Comment

I would have to agree with what DETLMAN wrote, a coat of wax isn't thick enough after wipe off to layer over a hair or a lint fiber.

A close-up pictures would be interesting.

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I've had that same problem...I use a pneumatic chisel to pry the little suckers out from under the polymer...

Comment

I don't own a digital camera, so this may take a while to post

thanks

Comment

Hope this post works, I have 3 pics to show so I see that I can only attach 1 at a time (I think)
            Image1 - see left side in the shadow. I found a number of these on the car after wash & NXT as I said before.
            Attached Files

Comment

Image2 - this isn't as clear - middle left side - I should also mention that these were taken this morning (Sat) however I had washed the car the night before and dust and pollen are on the car as well.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by db9; Aug 14, 2004, 02:04 PM.

Comment

i also have to show the finished product
                Attached Files

Comment

could it be static?
                  2019 GMC Sierra
                  1500 AT4

Comment

Hey,

On your first pic, the spots look like etching to me. Etching could have been caused by acidic bird droppings or even acidic water that was left on the surface (ie. acid rain).

My suggestion is to Use Meguiar's ScrtachX on those spots. Follow Mike's excellent advice on how to use the product:

Hopefully this will eliminate these spots. If it does not, then we will need to try something else. Please keep us updated!

Tim
                    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Hmmm... that's pretty interesting. I believe the only solution is to leave your paint brush in the box and opt for a foam pad when applying your waxes.

Just kiddin' on that one.
                      *No Applause, Just Throw Money!*

Comment

I too have found lint while using a MF to take off the LSP. I think it maybe a combination of static build-up and cheaper micro-fiber towels that leave the lint.

I will agree that to see a perfect finish with little hairs stuck to it in places is very irritating.

Matt

Comment

2hotford

Acid rain - possible - here in Southern Ontario that is quite probable -
                          not to hijack my own thread - Scratch X says on the label use a terry cloth to apply (see I do read the labels ) but Mikes thread says to use a foam applicator - I have used 'X' a bit so far to take out minor scratches with some success - however I have had the newbie problem of not knowing technique with the various products and even made some marks worse before through sheer luck I manage to recover.
                          I did try 'X' on the mark after I did the photos (using a terry) but I didn't take it out - I will try again with a foam applicator. Questions and comments welcome, however at what point does one just not try anymore with fear of doing more damage than good - since this mark is hard to see in the first place... or better yet, with any of these removal products how do you tell that you are damaging your finish to a point of no recovery (without spending major $ to recover)
                          thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');