• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishing After 3000 Grit Sanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing After 3000 Grit Sanding

Had to do some sanding with 3000 grit, what polish should I use now? Would ScratchX do the job?

Re: Polishing After 3000 Grit Sanding

Follow up with M105 via rotary with a foam pad (yellow). You may have to go with a wool pad if the foam is not reducing the sanding marks.
    After M105 go to M80 with a rotary with foam yellow pad. At this point evaluate the results and use a PC or G110 with yellow pad with M80 to remove any buffer marks at speed 5.
    If you do a search there is an article on how to remove sanding marks.
    Last edited by C30-Mike; Feb 14, 2008, 08:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I don't think scratch X will cut it. Are you working solely by hand or do you have any machines?

If it were me I would hit it with #84 on rotary with wool pad. Depending on condition #80 on a yellow or red pad.

Comment

I'm working by hand and it's just a small spot. Would #80 by hand be enough?

Comment

By hand is very difficult but you could try with a terry towel and LOTS of passion behind it. Your results will really depend on the type of paint you have.

Good luck with it, but please next time, don't sand if you don't have a rotary.

Comment

#80 probably wont remove wet-sanding by hand.

MAYBE #83 with a terry towel and alot of work.
            Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
            Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Originally posted by JJ1 View Post
              Had to do some sanding with 3000 grit, what polish should I use now? Would ScratchX do the job?
              You can try ScratchX if that's what you have, with a piece of terry cloth towel, after using the terry cloth towel you'll likely have to re-clean the area using a foam or microfiber applicator and ScratchX as rubbing hard with terry cloth may remove your sanding marks but it will tend to leave it's own scratch pattern behind.

We've purposefully sanding paint with #2000, #2500 and #3000 and demonstrated that the sanding marks can be removed using ScratchX by hand, but it took a lot of rubbing and repeated applications.

Mostly because the paint we've always worked in these demonstrations by luck of the draw trended towards being hard, not soft.

Reality is, you are not going to know what you can do until you go out into your garage and give your product and process of choice a try.

Just to note, usually what will happen is you're remove all the shallower scratches and this will expose and highlight the deeper scratches. You can remove these but you'll have to keep rubbing out the area.

M105 is supposed to work better for removing scratches by hand compared to ScratchX, we have not personally tried this yet, but it's an option you can consider if ScratchX doesn't work. You can also try any cleaner/polish you might already have in your garage.

Let us know how it goes...

What are you working on?
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');