• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joe's keys to proper engine degreasing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Joe's keys to proper engine degreasing...

Thanks for the write up. I guess I will try this out. Alittle hesitant. Been doing it all by hand. No water sprayed on engine. I just feel safer this way. Thanks again.
    quality creates its own demand

Comment

I appreciate the write up too.

It's been mentioned about placing a tarp under the vehicle. I am worried about the soap/oil running off the tarp onto the driveway. Not sure what to do.

Thought about sprinkling cat litter or sawdust on the tarp to catch the soap/oil and then just rolling up the mess into a package
      Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
      by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Originally posted by Jossy92 View Post
        I appreciate the write up too.

It's been mentioned about placing a tarp under the vehicle. I am worried about the soap/oil running off the tarp onto the driveway. Not sure what to do.
        Take it down to the car wash bay so all oils and other contaminates are filtered....
        Joe's detailing (Since 2002)
        ''We begin where the car wash Ends.''
        (269)650-2242

Comment

You could **** it up with a wet dry vac. If your a professional, you should have some kind of water reclamation system.
          AeroCleanse, LLC
          Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
          www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's detailing View Post
            Take it down to the car wash bay so all oils and other contaminates are filtered....
            Don't have one nearby and I don't think they are legal where I live. I am more concerned about neighbors as I live in condo. If anyone saw the slightest trace of oil. It would be curtains.

Maybe I will do it by hand with a cloth and brush. When I get most of the **** off, I will hit it with the hose and cleaner.

Thanks for the help
            by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Originally posted by AeroCleanse View Post
              You could **** it up with a wet dry vac. If your a professional, you should have some kind of water reclamation system.
              I am not a pro, just learnng. Trying not to ask dumb questions. Maybe if after I have applied the cleaner, I could hose it off a little, Vacuum up the water and repeat. Dunno, I can see my little vacuum rolling down the street since my drive is sloped.

Thanks for the help on a problem that is way too limited to just me.

You gentlemen please take the thread back and I thank you
              by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Can we see this reclamation system? It shouldn't be a shop vac, either.

Have you tried putting a tarp under the vehicle?
                Chris
                Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
                  The only kind of tarp I have is plastic and with the slope of the driveway, I don't want to risk runoff.

Thinking about getting a small childs inflatable rubber swimming "pool" (4 feet accross) Partially inflated it would slide between the front wheels and catch the water. Afterwards, throw in some absorbant, cat litter, deflate, roll up and package.

Or.....I have too much time to think.

I like the idea of cleaning with engine running. THis thread is about thinking outstide the box. Under certain circumstances, on certain cars, it could be the best option. I need to adapt it. Lot of tips on this site. I am getting ready to develop a game plan... which I will share with before shots and plenty of mistakes.
                  by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
                    Can we see this reclamation system? It shouldn't be a shop vac, either.

Here are a couple of ways of doing water reclamation:

I'm sure you could make something yourself if you have the skills.
                    AeroCleanse, LLC
                    www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jossy92 View Post
                      The only kind of tarp I have is plastic and with the slope of the driveway, I don't want to risk runoff.
                      Depending on your slope, you could try sandbags.
                      AeroCleanse, LLC
                      www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

I sure hope someone follows up on this "wash berm" that attaches to a shop vac. Too pricey for an amature like me, but, for a pro? For environmental compliance?
                        by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Originally posted by BlueLibby04 View Post
                          Just wondering, why do you think they should start the engine then spray the engine off? Seems to me like that would pose a chance of hurting sensitive electronics if you get them wet while they are in use. You will also be working around the belt and fan which isnt the best thing to do while the engine is running.

The way I look at it, I plunge the front end of my Jeep underwater when Im offroad so alittle water hose isnt going to hurt anything. With that, here is a vid of me spray off my engine before I spray it with a degreaser(APC+). I usually spray it off, spray APC+ and scrub, then spray it off after letting it soak for a bit.

I like to clean a 'warm' engine and not a hot or cold engine. I start it after I rinse the degreaser off and let it run for a few min to dry it off.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

My engine does not have a distributor and the fuse box is sealed fairly well. Do not spray the alternator directly.

Even though I use a decent amount of pressure I recommend that you use a slow steady stream of water.

I'm with you........been doing like that for a very long time.

Comment

Do you start the car with the stuff still covered? That seems to be a bit hazardous to me.
                            If you take the covering off, aren't you then exposing them to the spray of water?
                            The grass is always greener on the septic field.

Comment

The stuff that comes off cars doesn't seem to hurt anything. I get more brake dust than anything really when I clean a car. Other than that, there is some grease and stuff on the microfibers used to clean the door jambs. Run off is going to happen one way or another. If you reclaim the water, all you are doing is moving the problem somewhere else. Each time your oil is changed, there are 4 quarts or more of oil drained out of the engine. That has got to be much worse for the environment than the runoff for a dozen car washes. Besides, water is heavy weighing it at over 7 pounds per gallon. Why would anyone want to haul it around? Look at the maximum capacity of your vehicle. You will find that it ads up very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jbirk View Post
                                The stuff that comes off cars doesn't seem to hurt anything. I get more brake dust than anything really when I clean a car. Other than that, there is some grease and stuff on the microfibers used to clean the door jambs. Run off is going to happen one way or another. If you reclaim the water, all you are doing is moving the problem somewhere else. Each time your oil is changed, there are 4 quarts or more of oil drained out of the engine. That has got to be much worse for the environment than the runoff for a dozen car washes. Besides, water is heavy weighing it at over 7 pounds per gallon. Why would anyone want to haul it around? Look at the maximum capacity of your vehicle. You will find that it ads up very quickly.
                                Its the EPA that will bust your chops if your a professional and not reclaiming your water. In fact you are not just moving the problem somewhere else as you need to dispose of your waste water down a sanitary drain (so it goes to a sewage treatment facility). You should be recycling your engine oil so its not an environmental hazard.
                                AeroCleanse, LLC
                                www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');