• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint burn picture anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paint burn picture anyone?

Correct. The buffer burned the clear right off of that spot very fast. There is no way to fix the 'ring' other than a repaint.

Comment

Gotcha, I think I have a rough idea how it looks like.

Thanks a lot guys.

Comment

Originally posted by budman3 View Post
        Here's a picture of a burn that I did intentionally on a scrap hood. It's on an edge and only took a few seconds with a rotary:

On the same hood I tried burning a spot in the middle of it, but was unsuccessful. The paint got really hot but I never could create a burn not on an edge. It is still possible but you really need to pay close attention to edges.
        Careful with that screwdriver, you might scratch the paint.
        The edge of the painted panels seem to have less paint and will burn easily as budman has shown. If the area is raised or if I have any doubts about polishing near an edge with the rotory I usually tape that area down to act as a buffer no pun intended.
        Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
        www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
        Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

Here is a very bad burn through.

2008 Volvo Numbered Special Edition Wagon in Ocean Blue.

The story for this one.
          A glass shop was installing a shield when they let a drop of windshield primer land on the fender. 6 days later the car came back to get a rock chip repair in the shield and the primer was noticed. They tried to remove the shield primer with a solvant and "buff out the defect". Well they used a rotary and some kind of compound that one of the guys had. It came to me like this and they asked that I "spray some paint on it and just buff it out before the owner saw it". Well I told them to first anti up their mistake and pay the 6-700 bucks and get the fender refinished. They said it could e fixed with a lil touch up paint so I took a pic and said good luck. DO NOT DO THIS!
          Professional Automotive Reconditioning Services
          "You scuff it-I buff it!"

Comment

That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot CANADIAN GUY.

Comment

Originally posted by CANADIAN GUY View Post
              Here is a very bad burn through.

2008 Volvo Numbered Special Edition Wagon in Ocean Blue.

The story for this one.
              A glass shop was installing a shield when they let a drop of windshield primer land on the fender. 6 days later the car came back to get a rock chip repair in the shield and the primer was noticed. They tried to remove the shield primer with a solvant and "buff out the defect". Well they used a rotary and some kind of compound that one of the guys had. It came to me like this and they asked that I "spray some paint on it and just buff it out before the owner saw it". Well I told them to first anti up their mistake and pay the 6-700 bucks and get the fender refinished. They said it could e fixed with a lil touch up paint so I took a pic and said good luck. DO NOT DO THIS!
              I think someone has to inform the owner of the car about this.... the owner obviously cares a lot for his car to do special shielding for it.... it is not fair to him that these idiots ruined the car but will not stand up to their mistakes and just use some totally unacceptable solution to temperarily disguise it.... even though it will not work for sure... the owner might miss it at first and the shop might deny the damage when he tries to take it back....

Comment

Originally posted by KrisMas View Post
                That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot CANADIAN GUY.
                Your welcome!

Comment

I just came across this and thought I'd update. Everyting worked out in the the company paid to have the fender painted ($1200.00 ! ouch). So hats off to the glass shop for comming through for the guy.

Comment

i needed some help, i was using my rotory and put holograms in my paint, im not sure what im doing wrong with it, i need some direction and my losest setting on my rotory is 1000 rpms, could this be a problem its a dewalt ,i didnt apply pressue to it, some help would be apperciated alot thanx,

Comment

Originally posted by 07black_gt View Post
                      i needed some help, i was using my rotory and put holograms in my paint, im not sure what im doing wrong with it, i need some direction and my losest setting on my rotory is 1000 rpms, could this be a problem its a dewalt ,i didnt apply pressue to it, some help would be apperciated alot thanx,
                      Hologramming could happen for various reasons - the most common is that you have either soft paint or you don't work the product properly. Mind you that compounds have the most cut when going slow on the rotary. Holograms are very small scratches in the clear coat (very high up in the CC), and sometimes all you need to do is switch to a finer polish (less cut) and work with that in the affected area.

You also get hologramming when being either too aggressive (heavy cut compound with a cut pad or wool) or too "easy" on the paint (you don't allow the product to be broken down properly).

If you have very soft paint hologramming can be quite a pain getting rid of - that is why I keep a DA as a backup as that will in nine out of ten cases sort me out just fine.

Also - what combination of pad and product on what car and color where you working on?
                      09 Toyota Verso Polar Blue Metallic 1.8 MultidriveS Premium
                      - paint softer than butter

Comment

I have a burn on my car I did with a DA. I was trying to get scratches out of one area but didn't realize I was burning off paint from the other side of the panel.

I'll try to remember to take a picture and show you.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');