• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to switch products and machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to switch products and machines

Hi guys, 1st time poster here and new to Meguiar's products. Please direct me to another thread if this has been covered before.

I'm working on an '05 Silverado, black, with the usual swirls and tiny scratches. Did a test spot and found it takes #83 and an 8000 pad on the rotary to remove 99% of the defects. That's about as aggressive as I want to get with it as it's a daily driver/work truck.

So here's the question: Is it recommended to do an intermediate step between #83/8000/rotary and #80/8000/DA ? And if so, is it better to use the less aggressive product with the more aggressive machine (#80/rotary) or the more aggressive product with the less aggressive machine (#83/DA) ?

Or put another way, will #80 and the DA remove the slight swirls/holograms left by #83 and the rotary? I know, the only way to find out is to try it, (your mileage may vary), but I was wondering what others might have experienced and would recommend.

Thanks in advance. I really like the forum and the products too!
    I saw it on the Internet...it must be true!

Re: When to switch products and machines

Hi and welcome to Meguiar's Online.!

Originally posted by ShinyChevy View Post
    So here's the question: Is it recommended to do an intermediate step between #83/8000/rotary and #80/8000/DA?
    It all depends on the paint, if you give a pass with #80 and it mars the paint then I think you should hit it with a less aggressive product. If #80 leave the paint finish fine then it's not necessary.

is it better to use the less aggressive product with the more aggressive machine (#80/rotary) or the more aggressive product with the less aggressive machine (#83/DA)?
    Well if you tried #83 with the DA and the results weren't as expected the you should use #83 with the Rotary and it could be followed by #80 with the DA

will #80 and the DA remove the slight swirls/holograms left by #83 and the rotary?
    Yes

Good luck!

Comment

I forgot to mention, maybe you could read this for information purpose.
      Learning to use the Rotary Buffer

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Answered the question myself today: No, an intermediate step was not necessary (in my case anyway). On my test panel - the hood - thorough buffing with #80 and the DA after the rotary work produced a beautiful hologram free finish.

That said, I did one anyway. I used the DA and #83 on places I couldn't or didn't want to do with the rotary, and then, before I changed pads, I went over the big panels too. Followed up with #80 and WOW! Even better than I was shooting for!

I'm very pleased with the switch to Meguiars products - easy to use, work as advertised, and the support is great!
        I saw it on the Internet...it must be true!

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');