• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New but long time 10+ yr Meguiars user

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New but long time 10+ yr Meguiars user

Hi,

I'm a long-time (10+ yrs) Meguiar's user.

My old process was a simple Wash -> #7 -> #26 applied by hand.

But in the last 2 weeks, I decided to expand my detailing routine to the 5 steps: Wash -> Clay -> Polish -> Glaze -> Seal -> #26 Topper, and ended up trying a full range of non over-the-counter products.

I then heard about NXT Wax 2.0 yesterday, got super excited, and immediately picked it up from Wal-Mart. I was filled with many questions about NXT 2.0, and thus here I am.

However, the mods / admins will be happy to know that after spending 3-4 hours reading this forum, most of my questions have been answered.

----
    Forgive me for ONE last question that may have been answered:

I originally intended to use NXT 2.0 as a carnauba topper (replacing #26) to my new Poorboy World's EX-P sealant, but now I realized it's actually a sealant! (Oops, one extraneous product in my inventory)

So my question on Layering / Topping is now focused on durability instead of looks.

Reading the Topper, Layering, and other threads / hot topics, I learned that although there is no proof that layering multiple coats of a same product is beneficial beyond ensuring even coverage, there is evidence that layering different products may seal the last product in. For example, applying #26 after #7 will make the show car gaze last longer.

On the same thought, I heard people put Carnauba toppers on top of sealants to maintain the durability of the sealant. Instead of re-sealing in 3 months, they can extend it to 6 months by re-applying a layer of wax every month or so.

So can someone confirm if it's protectively beneficial to top NXT 2.0 w/ #26?

Can I also top EX-P w/ NXT 2.0 (or vice versa) to provide 2 different layers of protection since they're different products (but both sealants)?

Thanks and sorry for the long intro.

Re: New but long time 10+ yr Meguiars user

I am sure someone will post up the link, but Meguiar's has layering defined as putting two different coats on to ensure even coverage, not to 'layer up' on waxes. This is only my belief from what I have tested and personally experienced, but I have never seen any benefit from 'layering' outside of ensuring even coverage, nor when I put it side by side asking someone else to try and pick a difference, can they.

Personally, I don't believe in the whole concept at all, nor do I support the idea of people waiting until the wax is not longer on their car. I like to make sure there is always wax on the car, and will only go and strip it off and re apply when I feel I need to clay, or the car has gathered up some swirls. It is like getting oil changes; are you going to wait until the oil looses all of its ability to protect, or are you going to change it before hand to ensure that it always has protection.

Preventative maintenance.

Comment

Re: New but long time 10+ yr Meguiars user

Hello and welcome to Meguiar's Online
      Maybe your question exactly is not responded in the thread but maybe it could help you

What's the deal with "Layering?"

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');